Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 13 Nov 19, 11:54 AM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile How much do you spend at Christmas?

I know some people like my mother used to set a certain limit per person.

Most of the things we have bought for the kids cost the same so there is only a few pounds difference.

Will have had probably £150 each ish when I’m done. Didn’t actually think I had spent this much thus far (£125 to now) but adding it up it seems I have. I tend to buy in bits and save it all up.
I only have a few clothes left to but and that’s it.

So my Christmas shopping should be done for the kids before December I hope.

Reason I am wondering this is I used to spend way more. Used to think they needed piles and piles and so would just buy stuff even if it wasn’t as great or useful as it could be.

So do you know how much you spend? Either on presents or dinner or decorations etc.

I’ve only spent for kids presents so far. Not done anyone else yet, food or decorations.

And is anyone else nearly done with the main presents?
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 12:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I gave my grown up kids a £200 limit this year, I may go over but rarely go under. Also my sons fiancée who I will spend the same on.

Got my dh birthday, sister, brother all in December and ds on the 1st Jan and he’s coming from Toronto on the 2nd. Probably spend £2,000 on everything including food and drink, I try to cut down but it never works out!
Old 13 Nov 19, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mine are 14 and 21 and the Christmas pot really doesn’t go very far now they are older. I save £15 a week all year. This has to cover everything including Christmas food. We don’t have too many other people to buy for. Son has a good income now and if he wants something he buys it. Daughter being younger does get more than him and her brother is happy with this.

I just cannot get in to Christmas this year and have barely made a start. No one seems to need anything. I prefer a day out or a meal to more stuff in the house that I just don’t need.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

Mobile

I do have a set limit for everyone I buy for but it’s an upper limit so if I see something perfect for less I won’t buy extra stuff just to reach the limit.

My daughter is the only exception, she’s still in education and I don’t really have a set budget for her, more a ballpark figure. It has definitely got more expensive as she has got older!
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

We don’t have kids so at the moment our main present buying is for each other.

We probably spend about £900 total on Christmas. That includes gifts, advent calendar, wrap, tags and food.

We dont really spend much more on food at Christmas than any other time of year. We do have family round on Christmas Eve but there’s always stuff left over so we have it in between Christmas and new year.
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 12:27 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

Its so hard buying for grown-up children. All in i hope to keep it aroubd 600 for all presentd but i do buy bargains throughout the year, lime reduced designer boxers from tk maxx, dkny, armani. Then bought Commes des Garcon from Frazers with 20% off. Hoping not to leave it too late to finish off. Just need youngest to give e me a list xx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 12:44 PM  
Link to this Post
TheHughesCrew
Imagineer

I have 29 people to buy for, not including my husband and children, or any of my husband's family (he buys for his family).

I spend between £20_£50 on those 29 people. Probably £200-£250 each on the children. And £150ish on my husband (we often buy each other theatre tickets/ nights out).

I guess the point is, we spend what we can afford. I buy throughout the year. I got some lovely Ted Baker wash bags in the sales, Joules dressing gowns on offer, and ridiculously cheap Abercrombie tops.

Christmas is about giving, I love it. But I would never go into debt for it as I think kids love the family time and quirky traditions and as much as their physical gifts.

ETA I never tot up the whole spend, I'm too frightened! And we spend more on food, depending on who we've got coming over and how much entertaining we do.

Edited at 12:48 PM.
TheHughesCrew is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m hoping that when they get older it will be easier as they can tell me what they want and then when they have left home I assume we would give them money or something like that. For me I would much rather spend it on annual passes to zoo or theatre tickets etc but still need to have somethings to open.

I wish people would stop buying for us. I thought when hubby said we were doing a family meal out and paying that I wouldn’t have to get presents but I still do. Will be doing that with the girls, they can chose nanans and grandads cos I give up
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
We keep it simple!
On Xmas Day do a Bank transfer to both Children for circa £200 each.

Only the Grandchildren get an actual wrapped present. Circa £75 each.

We have never swapped presents between ourselves. No other Family to buy for.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Vanillapod
Imagineer

Mobile

I think there’s definitley the temptation to buy lots when the children are younger and the magic is still alive.
I spend a lot less now and underneath the tree looks pretty sad 😬
However, I’m keen not to buy anything that doesn’t have a reasonably long term purpose and I hate ‘stuff’ so I don’t buy novelty nicknacs which can end up being quite costly

Our 2015 Food Trip Report http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=891973
Vanillapod is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List