Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Nov 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

I looked at DLP once for a short break for all the reasons you do. I didn’t really look hard for best deals times etc but it was looking like around £1,500 for the three of us. Our WDW holidays on site have all been around £4,500 with dining plan and car the last few years for around 10 days.

Obviously if you only have £1,500 it’s not an option to go to WDW but it overall DLP seems poor value

Like I said though I didn’t really look for the cheapest way to do DLP
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by sammykitten View Post
Do you mean you travel from home to either Paris or Orlando completely free? I think that’s what makes the difference for most of us who love both DLP and WDW, we can get to DLP much more cheaply than to WDW, which makes the possibility of going more often achievable (and then that brings in the value to be had getting annual passes, even if you want to stay onsite).
Another major plus for me at DLP is that everything is close together, you can walk between the parks and the village and the resort hotels. It makes for a relaxing time even if you only have 3 or 4 days there 😊.
No, i was talking about onsite transport. The cost of getting to both places is already in my calculations

I agree with you re it all being closer together, that's great

Overall it's a cheaper holiday as you go for less nights, but it seems incredibly poor value to me compared to WDW. That's what has surprised me today.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 04:50 PM  
Link to this Post
ashc13
Serious Dibber

Mobile

I think they are different types of hols. Paris is a short break (less spending money/ time off work). In addition to Paris, we can have another holiday.

For March (outside school hols) it costs EUR 580 for three nights/ four day passes on site for two adults and two kids staying onsite. Direct flights to Charles Dr Gaulle EUR 320 for four.

Cheapest direct flight to Orlando is Eur 666 each return. Would need a lot more spending money - food & drink for 14 days versus 4 days and additional park tickets. The only reason I go to Orlando is for the parks, I would buy Universal tickets and prob Busch Garden tickets too. I don't think I'd ever manage a cheap break to Orlando!
ashc13 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

I have only done DLP once - it was about £600 each for 4 days parks, food and flights, staying in sequoia lodge (4 of us in a room!). There was then maybe €200/300 spending on top, a little expensive for 4 nights! But Florida if you tried to do 4 nights you get stung by £400 for flights & £400 for Disney park tickets - before you’ve added the hotel, the thing is, DLP is not cheap per night (Paris in general is a kick in the teeth) but you go for fewer nights, WDW is a little cheaper per night, but only because you factor in the £400 park ticket and £400+ flight over 10/14 nights. If you were to try book 4 nights in London your looking about the same costs in hotel, and it wouldn’t be hard to rack up £200 in attractions, but it’s all apples and oranges. And we cut our cloth Accordingly.
IMO every time I look at DLP I think it’s £500+ I could save for Florida and do something cheaper.

Edited at 06:49 PM.
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We usually do 4 or so weeks every Christmas in Florida, this Christmas we’re going to Paris for 4 nights then Florida in Feb.

Paris has cost about 2k for 4 nights, as far as I’m concerned it’s a waste compared to the nighty cost of Orlando and we will be back in the normal routine December 2020

Edited at 10:30 PM.
captain-codeye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Nov 19, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

See id like to go dlp but I Would rather wait for Florida if I Had to as I think it’s more for your money.
It’s the more parks and the sun really that make it better value.

It would need to be super cheap for me to go and even then hubby wouldn’t probably go anyway as there’s not enough sun.

Just looked. £600 flights Leeds to Paris 4ppl. 20-24th July.
£600 offsite hotel. £700 tickets.
Talking 2k for 4 days. Without including airport parking, food, transport to hotel etc.
Paid £8500 for 3weeks in Florida.

Edited at 12:12 AM.
vampiress88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 12:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by vampiress88 View Post
See id like to go dlp but I Would rather wait for Florida if I Had to as I think it’s more for your money.
It’s the more parks and the sun really that make it better value.

It would need to be super cheap for me to go and even then hubby wouldn’t probably go anyway as there’s not enough sun.

Just looked. £600 flights Leeds to Paris 4ppl. 20-24th July.
£600 offsite hotel. £700 tickets.
Talking 2k for 4 days. Without including airport parking, food, transport to hotel etc.
Paid £8500 for 3weeks in Florida.
Summer at DLP is usually really warm. It’s warmer there than here - every time we’ve been in the summer holidays, it’s been hot and sunny.
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 01:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
The prices for DLP do seem to have rocketed this year. I just looked to price up for October half term next year. Santa Fe with paid for Half Board and transport as flights not out yet £1572. Checked how much I paid for same week in 2018, £1041 for 2 adults and a teen, including flights, free half board and a character breakfast !
What also stood out when pricing up was the number of paid for fast pass options. Just comes across as Disney greed. I don’t think we will be going again any time soon unless prices come down. We had a fantastic 3 nights there but it is only 2 parks and there was very little in Disney Studios.

Edited at 01:24 AM.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
magickate
Imagineer

I love DLP, it doesn't have to cost a fortune. We've been lucky enough to go 8 times in the past 6 years and will probably go next year too. Our visits have ranged between 1 day and 8nights and we've now tried each hotel.

I always like to stay onsite and book direct but spend a little time checking out all the different countires deals to see what works best for us. Excluding the day visit I've always found a kids under 12 go free offer and booked with that. Our cheapest was 4nights in the Santa Fe which was £800ish in February, the most expensive for DLH for 4nights which was £2400 in 2015. We've always had some sort of meal package with it too.

I love how easy it is to get to the parks, park hop & get into the village. No real planning is required, we can easily book just a few weeks before we want to go & of course it's much cheaper to travel there.

It's not Florida and given the choice I'd rather go to America but finances don't allow for that every year unfortunately.
magickate is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Nov 19, 08:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by catherinesian View Post
I just had a nosy at the free dining deal at DLP, considering going there over my 30th birthday in July 2021 (I realise these prices are based on 2020 but it gives me an idea!)

DLP - 5 nights with free half board at Sequoia Lodge with 5 day park hopper and Eurostar - £1,770 for two adults with €100 gift card.
£354 per night (or £300 if you exclude Eurostar cost).

WDW - 14 nights Coronado Springs with free QSDP, 14 days park tickets, direct flights budgeting £4k for two adults. Speculating at a $300 gift card. £285 per night (or £228 excluding budgeted flight amount of £800). Based on my 2019 prices + 10%.

Both 'off peak'. I realise DLP is great for a shorter Disney fix but I was surprised at the difference in cost per night for what I see as a lesser offering (2 parks vs 6 parks!).

Think I will use the extra holiday for 2 weeks rather than 1 and stick to WDW!

I have to agree. I was looking for next year September. Two adults three nights. We would drive up from Spain. I can’t find anything cheap, on-site prices are totally ridiculous IMHO, when you compare with WDW.

Unfortunately due to MCO flight prices we look to be prices out of WDW next September and at the moment DLP coming in at stupid money for three night
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List