Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 17 Dec 16, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile Indirect flight-advice

We have just booked to go in Oct and now need to find flights.
Direct is coming in around 3300 for our dates so thinking of going indirect which we have never done before.
How long a connection should we leave?
Any views or advice on airports which are better or worse to connect through?( for outbound have seen Miami, Philadelphia, Atlantic)
Do you clear us customs when you do your first stop and do you have to collect luggage.
Travelling with hubby and children who will be 4 and 9.
Any advice would be great.
Thank you
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkertangled
Imagineer

Mobile

We did indirect for the first time this year and have booked again for next year.
Flew United Heathrow to Newark then on to Orlando. We had a 3 hour stop, arrived went through customs in about 5 mins, collected bags got the shuttle over to the next terminal, dropped bags and we then had about 2 hours til boarding so we grabbed something to eat and wondered about. 3 hours was actually too long so we have gone for a shorter connection next time.
On the way back we had a 1 hour connection. Due to bad weather our flight from Orlando was late out which meant by the time we arrived at Washington we had 15 mins til our next departure - luckily over half the flight were all due to get on the connecting flight to Heathrow so they held the plane.
You don't have to get bags on the way back so I would say in normal circumstances an hour would be fine.
We were surprised how easy it was (our children are 6 & 7) so well worth it for the amount of money you save and quite nice to break the flight up a bit and bizarrely we didn't feel as tired when we arrived in Orlando like we do when we do a direct flight.
Tinkertangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 05:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkertangled View Post
We did indirect for the first time this year and have booked again for next year.
Flew United Heathrow to Newark then on to Orlando. We had a 3 hour stop, arrived went through customs in about 5 mins, collected bags got the shuttle over to the next terminal, dropped bags and we then had about 2 hours til boarding so we grabbed something to eat and wondered about. 3 hours was actually too long so we have gone for a shorter connection next time.
On the way back we had a 1 hour connection. Due to bad weather our flight from Orlando was late out which meant by the time we arrived at Washington we had 15 mins til our next departure - luckily over half the flight were all due to get on the connecting flight to Heathrow so they held the plane.
You don't have to get bags on the way back so I would say in normal circumstances an hour would be fine.
We were surprised how easy it was (our children are 6 & 7) so well worth it for the amount of money you save and quite nice to break the flight up a bit and bizarrely we didn't feel as tired when we arrived in Orlando like we do when we do a direct flight.
Thank you so much that really helpful. We are debating what is better- doing the indirect or flying into fort lang( Miami) and then doing the 3 hour drive. Your experience sounds good. Would you suggest 2 hours between?
Minnie Mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
grinner82
Imagineer

grinner82's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 19
Guidebook Photos: 83
Guidebook Reviews: 10
We are flying the 6th Oct returning the 27th and got direct for £810 premium club. The economy was only £590 which I thought was pretty good. That was Thomson. Virgin via a fly drive was £790 direct also. So if you have not looked at other places thay are worth a view.
Old 17 Dec 16, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
avibelle
Getting Excited

we have done none direct twice once we did manchester to chicago to orlando, personally i wouldnt do that route again because the flight to chicago was as long as it was to orlando also we had a six hour wait in chicago which was horrendous, when we booked that flight we only had a two hr wait, but then they change the flight times, we have done man to philly to orlando, with a two hr layover and would do that route again , the airport was very busy and i worried we would miss the flight but was sat at the gate with 30mins to spare
avibelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 10:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Minnie Mum
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by grinner82 View Post
We are flying the 6th Oct returning the 27th and got direct for £810 premium club. The economy was only £590 which I thought was pretty good. That was Thomson. Virgin via a fly drive was £790 direct also. So if you have not looked at other places thay are worth a view.
Thanks. Did have a look but for our dates the price is much higher. Wil keep looking at indirect. Helpful to have info on what airports are easier to get through in the time scale, so thanks for that. I just want to book but need to hold my nerve!
Old 17 Dec 16, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mouli1
Imagineer

mouli1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

I would avoid going via miami it is notorious for long queues at immigration

[R]
mouli1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridasun
Imagineer

We have had 3 hour connections outbound both times. First time we went via JFK. took off an hour late from Heathrow then immigration at JFK was super busy so we were really having to rush. Second time was via Miami this August. They had lots and lots of the new self serve immigration machines which kept the queues right down and we were through really quickly. Used the time to have some food and stretch our legs before the short flight up to MCO. Delays at immigration can happen anywhere in the USA so I personally would want 3 hours on the way out. I'd do 2 on the way home as no need to collect luggage but personally not less. Storms in Orlando can delay flights and then you are in a real rush to connect. If there were lots of other flights to the uk from the connecting airport that night then I may consider a shorter connection. However, there's no guarantee the later flights would have room or that we could still sit together.
Floridasun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 11:02 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We are going indirect Heathrow via Atlanta to Pensacola and have 2hrs 40 in order to do Immigration, Customs and onward bag belt. Should be plenty.
On the way back, its Daytona beach to Atlanta with a 1 hr stopover before flying back to Heathrow. Should be plenty.

It is worth remembering that besides flights only being £435 during Easter hols, we don't have the extra 1.2 hrs driving on each journey to Gatwick rather than Heathrow. We do not have the tortuous immigration queues at Orlando or Miami. We have small aircraft to board and de board on shorthauls (takes less time).

In addition, we wanted to visit Pensacola and Destin in any case. We now no longer need to make return driving journeys, driving a one way ribbon instead.

Indirect can be made to work spectacularly well .. and save you plenty.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Dec 16, 11:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkertangled
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Minnie Mum View Post
Thank you so much that really helpful. We are debating what is better- doing the indirect or flying into fort lang( Miami) and then doing the 3 hour drive. Your experience sounds good. Would you suggest 2 hours between?
I think 2 hours is fine if you are flying into a smaller airport like we did. I wouldn't risk 2 hours at a larger airport as immigration tends to be busier.
For us flying from Heathrow is better as it's a 15 min drive away and after experiencing a 3 hour immigration queue at MCO before we would rather avoid direct until we are no longer tied to school holidays.
Tinkertangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread