Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Members Trip Reports > Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports
Forgotten Password?
Notices
Unread 5 Jan 20, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
Excited about Disney

Family First - August 2020

Ive been looking forward to starting my pre-trippie for some time but have been waiting until we had booked our flights. Having booked them on New Years Eve, Im ready to get started! I also wanted to start before I go back to school as then my free time becomes limited.

This is our first family holiday to Orlando hence the title. Myself and DH went for our honeymoon back in June 2007. We vowed we would come back, once we had a family, but didnt think it would be quite so long! Weve been planning for and saving for this trip for around 5 years so its a really big deal to us. Weve been to DLP twice in that time to help ease the wait and absolutely loved it.

Now for the introductions

Im Emma (36) and work full-time as a Primary School Teacher. This is my third trip report (my first two were for DLP) and Im looking forward to dong this one although itll be a mammoth task in comparison! I love all things Disney but my faves are Beauty and the Beast, Dumbo and Pluto. Im also a huge Harry Potter fan so cant wait to go to Universal.

DH is Owen (37, turning 38 before we go) and is a Technician who fixes medical scopes like endoscopes. He loves planning just as much as me were pretty as bad as each other. His loves Star Wars, all things Marvel and the Lion King and is also a Harry Potter geek like me.

DS1 is Hayden (6, turning 7 while we are away). He is absolutely obsessed with Star Wars hes like a walking talking encyclopaedia! He also loves Winnie the Pooh and the Lion King. He enjoys Harry Potter too.

DS2 is Ashley (4). Ashley loves Mickey Mouse. He has a toy Mickey he takes with him everywhere which we got when we last went to DLP. He also loves Disney Cars and Stormtroopers!

This is us at DLP in 2018

We are going for 3 weeks and 1 day (I blame flights for the added day, not that I mind!):
Friday 7th August: Fly to Orlando from London Gatwick with BA and check into Disneys Caribbean Beach Resort for 8 nights. This was originally 7 nights but changed to 8 because flights were cheaper. We upgraded to the DDP and booked back in April when the free DDP was announced.
Saturday 15th August: Check out of Disney and into our Dibb Villa at Sunset Lakes. Weve booked this for 12 nights with Dibber Sue. We booked this in 2018.
Thursday 27th August: Check out of the villa and check into Universals Cabana Bay Resort for 2 nights.
Saturday 29th August: Fly home from Orlando to London Heathrow via Dallas with AA and BA.

We have 21 day Disney Tickets and 14 day Universal tickets. Id like to squeeze in a day at Clearwater beach so we can go and see the dolphins and maybe an airboat ride, but we think thisll be plenty to do!

Whats even better about this holiday is when we started to think about booking a villa in 2018, my brothers and my youngest brothers girlfriend were both keen so they are coming with us. They came with us to DLP in 2017 too so I think we gave them the bug! Unfortunately they cant come the whole 3 weeks and are limited to 2 so they are coming Saturday 8th August-Saturday 22nd August via different flights (indirect with AA) but are staying at CBR and the villa with us. Well be hiring a 7 seater car which DH will be driving for the villa part of the trip as the others were nervous about driving in the US. DH did it in 2007 so hopefully hell be fine!

The rest of the cast is

DB1: Alex (34) who works in archiving in London. A hardcore Star Wars fan who loves Disney and is enjoys Harry Potter too.
DB2: Peter (31, turning 32 before we go) who works for an accountancy firm in London. Loves Marvel and superhero related things.
DB2 GF: Rachel (32) who is a Primary School Teacher. Loves all things Disney, particularly Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and also loves Harry Potter.

This is us all at DLP with my mum who sadly doesn't fly so won't be coming with us

Weve not got long until its time to book our ADRs but its hard to choose! After many years of reading trip reports on the dibb, I am keen to try as much as possible. Im a vegan and DS1 is a vegetarian and so thats something to bare in mind when making selections. CBR seems to be a great resort for my dietary needs and has a lot of choice. We want to do some character meals and Im leaning towards Crystal Palace (for Winnie the Pooh for DS1), Tusker House and Garden Grill for the main mouse and other main characters. I quite like the look of Sci-Fi Dine-In, BOG and Sanaa as well which both have great plant-based options. DS1 is also keen to go to the Rainforest Caf and T-Rex so they might also feature on our list. For QS, I really want to try Sutuli Canteen, Docking Bay 7 and Blaze Pizza. Off-site Im keen to try Olive Garden and Sweet Tomatoes.

The other thing were trying to plan at the moment is the logistics of getting to and from the airport. We were originally going to drive there but now as we are flying in and out of different areas, were wondering if it makes more sense to get a taxi or hire private transport there and back. Were also thinking wed like to stay overnight on the Thursday as our flight is at 10.35am. DH could drop us off at Gatwick and then park the car at Heathrow, using the trains to get back to Gatwick which will stop me panicking about leaving our car on the drive for 3 weeks but were still deciding on this.

We also need to book our car. We dont want one whilst were onsite at Disney so only need one for the last 2 weeks. Were exploring prices and options at the moment with that.

Im hoping to update regularly as we book each aspect and get an itinerary in place.
Unread 5 Jan 20, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Looking forward to following we have a similar countdown It is so great when flights are booked
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 20, 12:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

It sounds like a great trip, and your boys are good ages for it. You have some good dining choices too, we enjoyed the Pooh characters at Crystal Palace and Garden Grill was great, if you are thinking of breakfast and can get an early ADR you can get on Soarin early too. We also loved Satuli Canteen, and we love both Olive Garden and Sweet Tomatoes offsite too, and I can imagine Sweet Tomatoes would work well for vegan food too.

Great plan on leaving the car at Heathrow and getting the train back, I had always ruled out returning to a different airport as too difficult, but hopefully that should work well
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Portofino Bay, Beach Club and villa
Unread 5 Jan 20, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Eccle View Post
Great plan on leaving the car at Heathrow and getting the train back, I had always ruled out returning to a different airport as too difficult, but hopefully that should work well
Yes there was thread about it a few days ago. Someone suggested to do it this way which wasn't something I'd considered. It wasn't something I had initially wanted to do but was the compromise to get the flight price we wanted.
Unread 5 Jan 20, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Th1nkT1nk
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Sounds like a great trip you have planned we are getting to cbr on the 8th August so well be there at the same time as you! (Were doing 3 nights universal first though). Do your kids know they are going yet? We did the reveal to dd on New Years Day and shes been making my ear bleed ever since 🤣
Unread 6 Jan 20, 07:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Loulabelle18
slightly serious Dibber

Another primary teacher here were going in Oct half term ( usually go in April) as we now have 2 weeks off instead of 1
Following with interest as we are flying BA for the first time, it is also our first time onsite (POR) for a week, RPR for a night for FOLP and a week in Sues villa ( Im assuming Villa Aurora?) so very similar trips
Ill look out for your updates. Happy planning
Oh and have a good first day back at school xx
Loulabelle18 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
5-0, 5-0, off to Disney we go!
Unread 6 Jan 20, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Em4owen
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loulabelle18 View Post
Another primary teacher here were going in Oct half term ( usually go in April) as we now have 2 weeks off instead of 1
Following with interest as we are flying BA for the first time, it is also our first time onsite (POR) for a week, RPR for a night for FOLP and a week in Sues villa ( Im assuming Villa Aurora?) so very similar trips
Ill look out for your updates. Happy planning
Oh and have a good first day back at school xx
Yes it's Villa Aurora. It looks amazing so can't wait!

I have 2 weeks off in October too but the boys don't, plus I didn't think 2 weeks would be enough time for us, as it's supposed to be a once in a lifetime holiday. We've never flown with BA but have already booked our meal preferences. I've booked a vegan one for me obviously and a vegetarian one for Hayden rather than a childs as they seem to give children chicken nuggets at the moment. I'm contemplating taking snacks and sandwiches for us both just incase.
Unread 6 Jan 20, 04:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Steveswift
Earning More Ears

Aug 19th for us, can't wait, will follow with interest.
Steveswift is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Going to meet the big cheese 2
My Magic Holiday