Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Dec 18, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

UPDATED p. 4 So stressed. DWP claiming against an estate - any experience?

Just mere days before completing on my late parents property and this diabolical year being tied up, I've heard from the solicitor that DWP have decided to investigate my mum's estate so have 'opened a claim'.

I'm so upset about this, they wrote to me last month saying that they owed her money, I'd presumed it was the pro rata on her monthly state pension (eg. peanuts) so i've no idea where this has come from.

Has anyone any idea how long this is going to take? The solicitor has the information that they need as I've been at the bank this morning getting it - I've had to send proof of her 'income' which was her pension, paid by them, that was all!

Obviously she was assessed for her pension, and we informed them when we lost dad earlier this year so they reassessed her, I just don't understand what they think they can claim.

Any experience or advice very gratefully received.

Thank you

Wild Africa Trek photo report

Edited at 05:55 PM.
PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 05:05 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Has she had any carers provided for her . My BIL told us that he knew someone who had this happen to them and they were trying to claim for the care as the claimed they hadn't been told that she owned a house ( he was warning us that it may happen to us but my mum always discussed her house and her care was given through the NHS.
I haven't even applied for probate yet so maybe they are doing this to everyone...I do feel angry that those who own houses to pass on to loved ones can have it snatched away from them... Hopefully it will be something simpler but I am surprised they haven't provided you with a clear reason as o why they are doing this.
Sending you love and hope it all works out xx
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Thank you

There was something that the home claimed rather than sending us the bill, she went into the private home where dad died, we'd suggested it to her for a couple of week respite to get her back on her feet, but obviously she deteriorated rapidly and was only there for 4 weeks.

The money went straight to them, not through mum at all but I guess that could be the reason as they may want to take back the pension for those 4 weeks?

I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, I'd never heard of it, it's specifically for terminal care and is only granted very short term.

The entire thing infuriates me, my parents worked hard, paid taxes and saved all their lives, why on earth should the government be entitled to a penny of their money - makes me so mad.

Good luck with yours, I'm so pleased we used a solicitor, I'm way out of my depth.

PoohBears#1fan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

My aunt died a couple of years ago and we had a letter from the DWP saying that they might be claiming some of her income back... or something similar, the letter came just as the estate was about to be settled... the solicitor provided all the info, and settled the estate apart from 20k which we calculated would be enough to pay back and overpayment, it took them a couple of months but they decided they weren’t owed anything... I spoke to someone at DWP and they said it was just routine...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post

I would not expect this to be anything significant. My father was born Irish and received a pension from the government despite not having lived or worked there for over 40 years. They put in a claim for overpaid pension, just due to timing as I did not immediately know he was getting an Irish pension. No big deal.

I cannot see that this should impact on your property sale unless there is a massive back story.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Thank you, how awful that they can do this, surely makes a mockery of all their assessment investigations!

Old 13 Dec 18, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
Thank you

There was something that the home claimed rather than sending us the bill, she went into the private home where dad died, we'd suggested it to her for a couple of week respite to get her back on her feet, but obviously she deteriorated rapidly and was only there for 4 weeks.

The money went straight to them, not through mum at all but I guess that could be the reason as they may want to take back the pension for those 4 weeks?

I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, I'd never heard of it, it's specifically for terminal care and is only granted very short term.

The entire thing infuriates me, my parents worked hard, paid taxes and saved all their lives, why on earth should the government be entitled to a penny of their money - makes me so mad.

Good luck with yours, I'm so pleased we used a solicitor, I'm way out of my depth.

My mum was provided 'end of life care' this is something the NHS sorted out to prevent multiple hospital visits which would have been more expensive.

I really hope you get it sorted quickly... especially when you felt that you had come so close.
3disneykids is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
My Mum died in the October and after I advised the Pension Service I was sent 2 letters.
The first was overpayment of Pension - I sent a cheque to them
The second was the Winter Fuel Allowance - Again I sent a cheque.

After Probate was completed they sent me another letter saying they had rechecked their records and wanted circa £90 back. I just paid up by return of post as it wasn't worth questioning.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Dec 18, 06:01 PM  
Link to this Post
3disneykids
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
My Mum died in the October and after I advised the Pension Service I was sent 2 letters.
The first was overpayment of Pension - I sent a cheque to them
The second was the Winter Fuel Allowance - Again I sent a cheque.

After Probate was completed they sent me another letter saying they had rechecked their records and wanted circa £90 back. I just paid up by return of post as it wasn't worth questioning.
I can't believe they put people through this for £90 with the amount of upset and stress this causes a recently bereaved person..This is proof of a system that has gone crazy.
Old 13 Dec 18, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Yes I could understand a letter asking for an overpayment back, but opening a claim, asking for proof of and investigating an income that was only provided by them I really don't understand, especially as it will now stop the settlement of her estate by goodness knows how long, I'm sure they'll be closed all over christmas.

As I said before, last month they thought they owed her money.