Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 11 Mar 19, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickey Mouse 69
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Mobile Having To Pay For Disney Fast Passes

Anyone else seen the rumour that starting later this year all Disney Fast Passes will no longer be free you might still get 2 or 3 free,but if you want anymore than that you will have to pay for them?
Mickey Mouse 69 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 19, 11:47 AM  
Link to this Post
catherinesian
Imagineer

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

It's what Universal do, and DLP have recently introduced a paid fastpass.

I think there would be uproar if they removed all free FP+ though, I really hope they don't do that.

Next trip to WDW Sept 2024 for our Wedding
catherinesian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 19, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

This rumour has circulated for years.

DLP have an additional paid-for option. You can still get as many free FPs as you want in the park. Most people will not pay the stupid price for a completely unnecessary service (unless you visit over Christmas or New Year, or arrive from the US with only one day to ever visit DLP!) Otherwise, particularly if staying onsite or visiting more than 1 day, you can do everything by using the free FPs. Also with club level you get one FP per person per day.

Disneyland has Maxpass that you can buy, but also has free FPs.

WDW have offered paid-for services such as tour guides or early morning entry, dessert parties etc as a way of beating the crowds. I suspect they will offer special packages for Galaxy’s Edge as they have done for Toy Story.

However, I can’t imagine them stopping free FPs any time soon.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 19, 12:10 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

I believe it is coming. Just a question of how dramatic at first and what stages will follow.

Look at the last few years... Disney has taken every step they can to monetize perks that used to be included with hotel stays or park entry cost. They scour their offering for anything of value, assign a cost to it and make available only to those park guests willing to cough up more money (capitalism folks!). Just a few (and I am sure DIBBers can think of many more):
- Hotel parking, no longer complimentary
- Speaking of parking, whole suite of "premium" parking up-charges now available
- Some of the best fireworks viewing spots, now reserved for paid dessert parties
- Evening EMH? Moving to paid Disney After Dark
- Morning EMH? Shifting to paid Early Morning Magic

The folks at Disney Parks are no dummies. I'm sure they fully realize the massive monetary gains they can generate by leveraging MDE and the FP+ system. There are countless ways they can tweak the system to squeeze additional revenue from the park guests...
- Tweak the amounts and tiers of FPs depending on hotel spend for Deluxe vs. Mod. vs. Value. vs. Off Site
- Pay a little more for early access FP booking
- Upgrade to unlimited Tier 1 FPs for additional cost
- VIP Concierge services for those who want guaranteed FPs
- Double up and ride again; pay additional fee to double your FP selection and enjoy it twice

Just a couple off the top of my head. I am sure the DIBB community can brainstorm tons of ways to make money off FPs.

Something is coming, just a matter of how severe (i.e. shock to the system) and when. FastPasses are far too valuable for the corporate DIS folks to continue offering for 'free'. There is easy money to be made modifying FP access, and the company has a responsibility to shareholders to make it.
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse 69 View Post
Anyone else seen the rumour that starting later this year all Disney Fast Passes will no longer be free you might still get 2 or 3 free,but if you want anymore than that you will have to pay for them?
I can see them keeping the existing system where you can book 3 fastpasses for free but then add a new option where you can buy book additional fastpasses for an extra charge (in fact, that sort of already exists). That's a totally different thing to charging to book any fastpasses at all.

I wouldn't put it past Disney charging for fastpasses. Most other theme parks charge to use their 'fastpass' system, so I'm surprised Disney have resisted charging for fastpasses for so long. However, there are many ways Disney can extract guest's money without going down this route and incurring the wrath of social media. Like I mentioned, they could charge for additional fastpasses or charge to book fastpasses earlier than 60 days or charge for special events when the queues are short, etc.

(BTW, Universal's Express pass system used to be free, although it used to be more like Disney's fastpass system back then).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 19, 01:12 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Lunchtime- oh dear. It does look to be coming possibly folks. I had feared it for a long time, now that fear may be coming reality.

This rumour has come from someone who claims to have been able to book unlimited fast passes in a trail which she was told is being launched in May.

Marni 1971, who is an absolute 100% respected source of Disney info (he is based in UK but is a Disney historian and has very close insider contacts) says that it is believed what they will do is offer the initial ones free, as now, but then charge packages for later ones.

If this is correct I am awfully disappointed as we do the parks with Fastpasses on the Fly- we get lots of them as we know how to work the system. This is one upcharge too far for me.

Of course, Disney market this not as charging extra for something you get free now, but a new opportunity to secure many more fastpasses, for a price of course.
Old 11 Mar 19, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
At certain times of the year Disney has become a half day park. Yes you get your 3 FPs and when you start hunting for the 4th one etc they just aren't there.
So you end up doing the rides with short lines, then get bored and leave.

I have felt for a long time that it will become a 3 shift Park. The morning crew visits, then the afternoon crew and finally the evening crew.

Nothing surprises me anymore as far as Disney is concerned.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 19, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
HarryPotterGeek
Earning More Ears

Mobile

It’s already being trialed for Club Level guests, has been for a while now - you can book 3 additional fast passes for a minimum of 3 days at $50 per day per person at 90 days out. When you book these fast passes they also book your 3 ‘normal’ fast passes for you too. I’m guessing this trial period will come to an end and they will extend it to other resort guests as it seems like it has been quite successful based on reading other forums.
HarryPotterGeek is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 19, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Doing some more research on this now- this blogger who said about this may have been referring to a new VIP experience rather than a change in Fastpasses. BUT Marni 1971 has said it is in the works anyway, he cannot talk about it further. I believe Marni 1971 as he only gives good info.
Also it would seem they are possibly implementing paid for Star Wars Fastpasses. That is the latest rumour, published elsewhere.
Like you Tom, nothing surprises me, they just keep on upcharging,
Old 11 Mar 19, 01:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Cabbie
Imagineer

Cabbie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Shanghai Disneyland has a paid system. You can buy individual FP's or a couple of different group passes which will get you several attractions. The cost varies depending upon season.

-Steve
Florida-07,08,09,10,11,12,14,16,17,19,21,23 California-06,10,11,15,23,24 Vegas 12,13,15,22 New York- 05,08,12,17,23 Washington DC-09 Boston-07,10 Hong Kong-05,16 Tokyo-05 Dubai-09,14 Jamaica-12 Abu Dhabi-18 Shanghai-18 Toronto-19 Singapore-22
Cabbie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List