Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 18 May 19, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Again, with the utmost respect, we are not wrong, rather different in our objectives, priorities and general planning. There is no right and there is no wrong, rather different ways of tackling a Florida vacation. It strikes me that these are.

1. An immersive Disney experience (yes, planning will pay dividends).
2. A multi franchise, looser and more relaxed vacation with Disney playing a smaller part and possibly the atmosphere rather than the ‘big ticket rides’ taking priority.
3. Opting to avoid Disney altogether, saving £375pp in tickets, plus the parking fees, high food prices, mega crowds of fast passers etc and better allocating the money on the two other park giants in the area (plus other outside attractions in greater Florida)
4. Purely using Florida (not necessarily even Orlando) as a base from which to do millions of other, non park things whilst sampling some of the best beaches I have ever seen (and I have seen many, many beaches both as a Serviceman in Cyprus for 2 years and also having lived in Cornwall for 30 plus).

As others have said, it is a ‘horses for courses’ thing and I am somewhere between 3 and 4.. as are many other DIBBERS. That does not make us ‘wrong’. We merely believe that we choose better options (which does not make us right, rather different in opinion).

The DIBB is a great sounding board for opinions and advice. That is why I am such an avid reader as I soak up the experience of others who have ventured where I have not.. yet. Disney is merely a pimple on a huge state that in turn is merely a pimple on a huge Nation.
I agree with this but unfortunately if you want to do number 1 you have to pre plan to get the best out of it. The OP refuses to do that.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 09:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Fraser789
Very Serious Dibber

I don't really like the idea of planning my days months and months in advance. That's why I really enjoy Universal because I can just turn up and enjoy it without clock watching all day.

BUT I would never do Disney without planning I think it's essential if you want to get good fast passes and dining reservations. I do feel it takes some of the magic away though sometimes.
Fraser789 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Masterchef winner Kenny Tutt is from my town and is opening a restaurant here. As soon as booking opened, I reserved a table many, many weeks in advance.

I just hope that when the day of the booking comes round it turns out I am hungry at that time and fancy eating something on the menu (which hadn't been published when I booked).

We also booked to see Tim Minchin in London, doing so well over a year in advance. I hope on the day of the gig I fancy seeing some live music that day.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 12:02 PM  
Link to this Post
toots82
VIP Dibber

I love planning. I do most of it but the kids and DH chime in with the places they want to eat and rides they want to do. We tend to do a split stay and I plan the Disney part the most. I know for the first 3 days we will be up early and hit EMH but day 4 they hit the wall and a waterpark, later start is called for. We change things if we decide against them and nothing is really ever set in stone apart from the ADRs but we've never had a problem making those and again we mix them up with some breakfasts, some dinners, maybe a 2 credit meal and then a day just using QS. We know what works for us and it ensures the kids get on their favourite rides. We don't do full days at parks so find this works best for us. It's not for everyone but I'd hate if the kids missed out on their favourite rides because I hadn't planned.
toots82 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 May 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
I have booked our fastpasses and did most of them at 60+ days out. I have managed to get morning FPs booked and our afternoons and evenings therefore will still be "spontaneous" as we have no idea what we will do after our FPs. To be honest, on some afternoons we will probably be going back to our room to get out of the heat and to have a bit of a nap.

We did make a conscious decision to go for QSDP as I don't want to book dining 6 months ahead. I wouldn't do it here (when my appetite can be pretty well predicted) so I certainly wouldn't want to do it on holiday for most meals when I have absolutely no idea when I, or the rest of my family, will be hungry.

Both of these things (FPs & ADRs) are my own choices - not right or wrong, just mine.
Old 20 May 19, 05:13 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Westhamtillidie View Post
Just thinking, planning every day of your holiday in advance around your MDE fast pass booking, do you think it works? So you book your say 14 days, you then allocate every day to a particular park, time of day, what rides, morning or afternoon or evening, hope that (a) the weather works on each day (b) no one in the party is sick (c) everyone really feels up to it (usually around 6/7 days into the holiday).Don't know about you but our family didn't have a clue as to what park to go to on each day, let alone what time of the day, maybe we are just disorganized ?
Quite happy to do it, works for me as everything is changeable anyway. I can’t imagine waking up and getting a feeling that I need to be in a particular park that day, so it doesn’t really matter to me that I pick a park months in advance. We are only picking the first park of the day too, we never stay in one park all day.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List