Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 23 Dec 19, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile MacBook Air problems

Had my MacBook Air two and a half years and the other day it just stopped working, won’t turn on. Took it in to the apple store today and have been told it needs a new logic board, £480. I can’t believe that a laptop that cost me over a thousand pounds needs almost half that cost again in repairs after only two years, is this normal? I’m absolutely gutted and can not afford to repair it for that cost. I thought I was buying a quality product not a throwaway item that I would only get two years of light use out of. Absolutely disgusted in apple.
2018 - Villa in Davenport
2022 - Blue Tree Resort
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 07:45 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

I had a similar problem with my 3 year old MacBook Pro this week. We don't have an Apple Store so I took it to a local company who are Apple authorised. They tried some resets to no avail, so booked it into the workshop. Turns out the logic board needed a clean so they did that and it cost me £60 inc VAT.

Might be worth speaking to a company who know about Macs but aren't Apple, to see if a replacement logic board is the right solution.
Old 23 Dec 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
I had a similar problem with my 3 year old MacBook Pro this week. We don't have an Apple Store so I took it to a local company who are Apple authorised. They tried some resets to no avail, so booked it into the workshop. Turns out the logic board needed a clean so they did that and it cost me £60 inc VAT.

Might be worth speaking to a company who know about Macs but aren't Apple, to see if a replacement logic board is the right solution.
Yes I think that’s my next step as that’s what the apple “genius” suggested. I still think it’s shocking that they can quote such a big repair cost at only two years old.
disney1st timer is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 08:04 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

While rare, these things can happen. And if it is the main board, that is the majority of the cost.
Not sure what you expect here? You get the year warranty and the option to take AppleCare which extends this (which I am assuming you didn't).
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
KeithOP
Serious Dibber

Personally I'd have more of a moan. It's sadly well known that Apple's first response to this stuff is empty your wallet please.

IMHO, you should be able to expect a laptop to last more than two years and a logic board fault, again common in some apple laptops, sounds more like a manufacturing problem than something you could have caused.

Of course, you probably won't want the hassle of going all the way to court over it, but in my opinion it's well worth making a formal complaint to apple and taking it a couple of steps further before giving up.

I would phone apple support, inevitably they'll look it up and say no dice, and then you can ask to speak to a supervisor and explain the light use, expensive premium product and that you're not being unreasonable but expected more.

In my personal experience, it's 50/50. half the time they'll do "computer says no" and half the time they'll put you on hold, come back and say it'll be taken care of free.
KeithOP is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Dec 19, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
While rare, these things can happen. And if it is the main board, that is the majority of the cost.
Not sure what you expect here? You get the year warranty and the option to take AppleCare which extends this (which I am assuming you didn't).
I’m afraid that I do expect a product of that cost to last longer than two years. Also, the guy admitted that it will just be a fault with one component within the logic board but apple will only replace the whole board. Seems unfair to put such a price tag on a small component that he admitted I would get fixed elsewhere for under £100. It’s just not the service I expect. I’ve got a dyson hoover and I had a problem with it after a year, spoke to someone who immediately apologised and sent out the relevant part. That is the service I expect when you are sold a product that is promised to be better than everybody else’s.
Old 23 Dec 19, 10:54 PM  
Link to this Post
disney1st timer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by KeithOP View Post
Personally I'd have more of a moan. It's sadly well known that Apple's first response to this stuff is empty your wallet please.

IMHO, you should be able to expect a laptop to last more than two years and a logic board fault, again common in some apple laptops, sounds more like a manufacturing problem than something you could have caused.

Of course, you probably won't want the hassle of going all the way to court over it, but in my opinion it's well worth making a formal complaint to apple and taking it a couple of steps further before giving up.

I would phone apple support, inevitably they'll look it up and say no dice, and then you can ask to speak to a supervisor and explain the light use, expensive premium product and that you're not being unreasonable but expected more.

In my personal experience, it's 50/50. half the time they'll do "computer says no" and half the time they'll put you on hold, come back and say it'll be taken care of free.
Yes I agree. I will certainly try as I feel I have bought much cheaper laptops in the past that have run for longer. Not what I expect from Apple at all.
Old 24 Dec 19, 07:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Did you actually buy it from Apple as you have a claim against the retailer under consumer rights legislation. It’s not an easy claim but goods must be fit for purpose and last a reasonable amount of time. Now that’s a difficult question in the first place but even harder with laptops but as others have suggested try calling Apple and throw it hasn’t lasted a reasonable time into the mix when challenging them. I’d stick with the friendly approach and try to get a “good will” repair as ultimately you’d need to go to court to enforce consumer rights and while it’s easy for us to say it’s not reasonable for a £1000 laptop to only last 2 years there is plenty Apple could draw on to suggests a laptop lifespan of 2-3 years isn’t unreasonable.

You can only enforce your tights against the retailer.

moneysavingexpert/sh...xchange/#goods
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 08:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

I would second contacting Apple direct, Apple store was useless when my husband went in about his watch, they just shrugged saying 'you need a new watch mate'. Their goal is to sell products really, not get them repaired.

My husband had an issue with an Apple watch, it was just over the guarantee and the back suddenly popped off and would not 'click' back on - contacted Apple who sent a box and return pouch for him to send it back so they could look at it, they agreed that the battery had expanded preventing the back from fitting back on (and apparently this is an issue with Apple watches) so they sent him an new one by return post.
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Dec 19, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

If you bought it from John Lewis or some of the other major retailers, they chuck a 2-3 year warranty in these days.
I do agree that a grands worth of laptop should last - and most macs do seem to by what I’ve read.
Definitely kick up more of a fuss. This can happen to anything but £500 to replace the whole logic board is bananas! It may be the geniuses are qualified to do let them I thought through if they can diagnose a component (say the cpu or memory) to be wrong and they just replace the whole board!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List