Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 14 Feb 20, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Hombody1976
Helping Minnie

Mobile Avanti West Coast help for non rail users

Hi all. We're off to DLP in May and staying in London before and after. Will be travelling from Crewe to Euston and back on the new Avanti service. We NEVER travel by train so I need some help with some really basic stuff, please forgive the naivety and humour me:
1) with so many trains coming and going how do we know we're getting on the right one?
2) assuming when tickets are booked(at 12 wks), will we be allocated seat numbers? How do we know where to stand on the platform and which carriage is which?
3) what if someone is already in our seats?
4) is there luggage space available for suitcases? At end of carriage or by your seats?
Anyone travelled the new service yet?
Hombody1976 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 20, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Hi there I travel by Avanti most days to London

The train should be well signed on the platform but failing that it will say by each door the time and final destination of the train

If you request to book a seat, this will show on your ticket . If you use the trainline it will also be on your booking . You have to request a seat though, it won’t be automatically allocated

The seats have reservation notices above them. If your seats are reserved and you have the tickets with the numbers you just ask people to move

The train will have first class carriages at the front if heading to London or at the back if coming from London , usually these are K through to H . U is generally unreserved. G to A is standard. C or D usually the shop . A is usually the last standard carriage at the end of standard And is a a quiet coach

Yes luggage rack at end of carriage. Small bags can go overhead.. Limited storage between seats.
Happy travelling !
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 20, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Hombody1976
Helping Minnie

Mobile

Very informative thank you. Are there staff on the trains if we need any help? A colleague suggested getting straight on 1st class carriage if space available and paying on day but this would be too nerve racking i think. What if the conductor said it was 100 quid extra! I'd feel a fool then declining and having to move.
Hombody1976 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 20, 09:59 PM  
Link to this Post
WileyCoyote
I am not a shopaholic

Hi if you book far enough in advance you can get first class for a decent price . I use the trainline website myself but there are plenty of others to compare prices . There will be a conductor , or train manager, as they are called on board, and first class have stewards. There may be someone on the platform - usually a train guard.
WileyCoyote is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 20, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

Yes, there will be staff on board. They'll be a person in the the little cafe area, and then a train manager will either be in the carriages checking tickets or in a little 'office' which is next to the cafe.

As Crewe station is managed by Avanti there should be signs on the platform indicating where roughly each carriage will stop.

As for upgrading to first class, I think that on a weekend the prices are fixed. I know from Birmingham to London its £20 each, so would presume from Crewe would be a little bit more. Not sure what it would be during the week though!

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Feb 20, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Hombody1976
Helping Minnie

Mobile

Is 'std' class ok? Not fussed about upgrading really, and prefer a bargain. Just thought with 2 adults and child it might guarantee a table seat but i suppose for 1hr 30mins it doesnt really matter. Already got the friends and family card which is knocking a whopping 80 quid off (209 down to 126) and hoping the 12 week sale mark will discount it further still.
Old 15 Feb 20, 10:31 AM  
Link to this Post
Mary A
Imagineer

Mary A's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I travel standard for work, first for leisure. The service in first has been reducing for a number of years now. Came back from London 2 weekends ago, 3.5 hour journey - 1 drinks round (no alcohol at weekends), tea or coffee which are always too strong for me, I usually ask for the fruit tea but also not available on weekends. Box of cheese and biscuits was good. No service at all after Preston.
At some stations they also have first class lounges for an hour prior to your departure time

First visit 1989, last visit March 19. Next holiday Washington, Key West & Orlando May 20. Planning Hawaii for March 21
Mary A is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

Standard is good enough. When you book your tickets on the Avanti website you can request a table seat, this will allocate you a table seat if there is one available.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 20, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Twiggy1953
Apprentice Imagineer

Twiggy1953's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

When you come in at Station top there are Monitors telling you which platform. Then on the platform there are monitors telling you which is next train and what’s on the train. Also there will be announcements saying where about 1st class etc will stop. It’s very easy.
Twiggy1953 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List