Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Feb 20, 01:07 AM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by jobelly View Post
Why don’t you like your gloss doors or j groove handles as I’m looking at a new kitchen and that’s what I fancy?
It's not that I dont like them as such. I love the look of them when they are clean. However in reality with 2 pre teens and a builder husband fingerprints are inevitable and they really show and the J groove handle is such a crumb collector. I dont know where they all come from. In hindsight I would have gone for flat fronted matt cupboards instead with the little over the top hook type handle.
mskitty is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 08:40 AM  
Link to this Post
jobelly
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
It's not that I dont like them as such. I love the look of them when they are clean. However in reality with 2 pre teens and a builder husband fingerprints are inevitable and they really show and the J groove handle is such a crumb collector. I dont know where they all come from. In hindsight I would have gone for flat fronted matt cupboards instead with the little over the top hook type handle.
Thanks that’s really helpful to know. I didn’t think about the groove collecting crumbs so may go for a handle instead. I also think I might look at the Matt doors instead, anything to make life easier!
Old 16 Jun 20, 02:05 AM  
Link to this Post
ncmurray
Imagineer

I realise Im only like four months late to this thread, but I had a new kitchen fitted almost two years ago, and here are some of my thoughts...

Make sure your wall mounted cupboards are as deep as you would like. We moved to this house in 2000, and it had a German kitchen (Keller?) installed, and the cupboards were really deep. They could hold maybe four cups deep. Our new kitchen will only hold two cups deep. In the big scheme of things its not a major problem, but for me I now can't reach the second shelf of the cupboard as they are further away from me. I hope that makes sense!

Pot drawers - don't bother with the 60cm ones... 90cm hold SO much more.

Stainless steel appliances - try to get ones that won't show fingerprints. It will save a LOT of frustration!

I wanted a black granite counter top for ages... so I got Galaxy Gold (?)... it looks fantastic, but I totally regret not getting a lighter granite or quartz. EVERY SINGLE fingerprint... cup... glass... leaves a mark on it and it drives me to distraction!

Quooker Flex tap is fantastic! No kettle needed, and I get so much use from the flex. Im not sure if I would bother with the cooled water or carbonated option.

Get the biggest fridge freezer you can fit. The french door style imho is the best layout, although the cavernous freezer can make it hard to find stuff, but thats more than made up for by the huge fridge!

I have two corner units... one with two swing out shelves, and one where the shelves 'rearrange' themselves as you open the door (I don't know how else to describe it). But the one with two swing out shelves is MUCH better.

I have always cooked on gas...but got an induction hob. I love it, for so many reasons, mostly because of how easy it is to clean, how good it looks, and how rising heat doesn't disperse grease all over the kitchen. But, I can't deny... its not gas. I can't put my finger on exactly what Im not getting about induction. If price is not an issue, you could get some domino hobs.. and configure it with both gas and induction.

Consider a warming drawer. Especially if you bake bread, but its useful for all sorts of things. If you do decide on one, try to get the deep one, rather than the shallow one. You can't prove dough in the shallow one.

If you have a spare wall, think about a built in pantry/larder. All your spices, flours, sugars etc in one place... makes it so easy to bake when everything is in one place, right at your fingertips.

Under your hob, perhaps a wide drawer with no cutlery insert... just a big drawer to hold all your spatulas, wooden spoons, scissors, tongs etc. I also have a knife block in my drawer. It keeps them safe and handy.

I have a 60cm hob, and a 90cm cooker hood... the bigger hood looks better.

I didnt pay attention to the cooker hood, apart from the size... and I SO regret it. I got a New World 90cm hood, with a 'filter' that can go in the dishwasher. It is complete crap! all it does is pull the air out. It doesn't filter the grease, and as a result, I get a drip of grease on the hob most days... just a small drop, but the 'filter' obviously isn't working as you would hope. I regularly run the 'filter' through the dishwasher, at least once a week, but it makes no difference. I would replace it tomorrow, but Ive got a granite backsplash that has been cut to fit it

Definitely get a pyroclean oven... its worth every penny!

I have a microwave/oven combi, and im not sure if I would get it again. Somehow, it doesn't seem as good as a regular microwave. I got the combi because I sometimes might need an extra oven, but Im not convinced. One issue is that the microwave oven is about head height (for me)... so if I use it as a conventional oven, its a little unsafe for me to try to take anything out of it.

I would go for a waste disposal. In our old kitchen, I had an insinkerator, but it was always getting clogged. I got an Astracast (?) in my new kitchen. It was a lot cheaper than an insinkerator, but so far it has been fine. I dont use it for heavy duty disposal... mostly just for light things like lemon peel or veg peelings.

Finally, I think stainless steel plug sockets, tv points etc. look infinitely better than white plastic. Also, plug sockets with a usb connection can be very useful. Pop-up sockets are fantastic, but you lose a lot of cabinet space.

I think I'm done... lol! Best of luck with your new kitchen