Notices

Old 31 Aug 19, 05:09 AM  
Link to this Post
skstorm
VIP Dibber

Hurricane Dorian

So news is just in that Orlando international is closing on Monday there are currently no flights to change to until 7th September.

VA are saying flight is not currently cancelled however it is looking likely it will be and they can't give an indication of when we may fly out.

Beach club is currently full and we are on a wait list to see if we can get a room but no idea how long to extend by?

We could potentially be in a position where we don't have a flight and no longer have a room!

Any advice or suggestions from those who may have been in this position before is welcome I definitely don't want to be without a room with 2 small kids one of whom is terriffied of storms it turns out! Also if they find us a room we are potentially changing resorts during a hurricane!
Old 31 Aug 19, 06:54 AM  
Link to this Post
marlouwrig
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We had a delayed departure due to Hurricane Matthew in 2016. It was only 24 hours though. We were staying in a 2 bed at Beach Club Villas. Resort should have been full to capacity but so many cancellations and no shows due to the storm meant that we were able to stay right where we were although we were also offered accommodation in the main hotel.

I know it's worrying with small children but I'm sure Disney will come through for you.

DVC Member BCV, BLT & VGC
marlouwrig is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Br'er Bear
Very Serious Dibber

Keep looking and refreshing the plan a vaction web-page as experience has shown that many US members will cancel and either not arrive or go home early.

As of 7.00am (Brit-time) this moring the Beach Club had a studio availabe for 2-nights on 3rd and 4th Sept.
Poly had avilability in a studio from 2nd through to the 7th.
GFV studio from 2nd through 6th
OKW studio from 2nd through 8th
BWV studio from 3rd through 8th
BLT studio from 1st through 3rd
AKV studio from 1st through 3rd
SSR studio on 1st Sept

1-beds have even more availability from the 1st Sept.
Beach club 1-bed available 1st through 6th.
AKL 1-bed value on the 1st Sept
AKL 1-bed standard 1st to 4th.
BWV 1-bed 1st through 7th and others.

As it's now a Cat 4th Hurricane you wil see even more American's cancelling.

So even if you can't find a room of your choice just keep refreshing your search every few minutes for all resorts and room sizes, fingers crossed Dorian starts to swing north and out into the Atlantic, good luck and stay safe.

I've just posted a thread to request The Dibb to reopen the Hurricane Advice forum so there's just one place to go for advice rather than a question getting lost within all the other trip planning threads.

It's now re-opened at https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=232

Edited at 08:12 AM.
Br'er Bear is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Loads of people cancelling their trips down on the Facebook pages. The hotel will now be full of locals, people moving from villas, the coast etc, but hopefully as soon as it’s finished many of them will depart and the new people won’t have come in, so hopefully there will be availability after.
Old 31 Aug 19, 08:10 AM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

This will offer no crumb of comfort to any dibber but we were cancelled in 2004 when we were due to fly from Glasgow.

We were advised that there was a flight from LGW next day and put on this ( we had micro seconds to decide on the phone ) whereupon we paid top dollar to fly to LGW, book a hotel overnight.

Next day after check in, in the actual departure lounge the alternative was cancelled, whereupon we had to fly back to Scotland after going to eastjet desk and paying something like 150 each for 4.

We abandoned our plans after getting home nr Edinburgh and spent a week in Yorkshire.

Got money back on insurance.

It turned out that this was one of our best ever holidays as a family and we talk about it all the time.

Good luck every one.

Disney332

Edited at 08:12 AM.
disney332 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 10:43 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
This will offer no crumb of comfort to any dibber but we were cancelled in 2004 when we were due to fly from Glasgow.

We were advised that there was a flight from LGW next day and put on this ( we had micro seconds to decide on the phone ) whereupon we paid top dollar to fly to LGW, book a hotel overnight.

Next day after check in, in the actual departure lounge the alternative was cancelled, whereupon we had to fly back to Scotland after going to eastjet desk and paying something like 150 each for 4.

We abandoned our plans after getting home nr Edinburgh and spent a week in Yorkshire.

Got money back on insurance.

It turned out that this was one of our best ever holidays as a family and we talk about it all the time.

Good luck every one.

Disney332
You came to Yorkshire- every cloud has a silver lining as they say
Old 31 Aug 19, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
onion2803
Apprentice Imagineer

Could you book something at any of the resorts as an insurance? DVC website says you won't be penalised for cancelling during the hurricane so if you end up flying out as planned, I gather you'll be able to claim those points back.

I wouldn't bother calling up, they were useless last night and we were on hold for 30 minutes. Can the front desk help you at all? x

Edited to add - BWV has availability right now.

Edited at 10:57 AM.
onion2803 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
alkel2730
Imagineer

Mobile

We were in this exact position in 2017 with Irma. We had Poly booked for two weeks. Flight was cancelled and we had to fly out a week later. ALL DVC resorts were full. I ended up on the phone for nearly two hours and eventually they found us a week in OKW which was a cash room so blocked from DVC bookings. On arrival the room was awful for a variety of reasons and they moved us to Kidani instead although we did have the option of WL. So I guess my point is even if there is no availability there does seem to be some reserved for cash bookings not in the dvc inventory. I don’t know how it works but all I can say is my experience having been where you are. I hope you all get sorted my heart goes out to you - it’s very stressful. xx
2012 - Sept The 'anniversary trip' SSR. - 2013 - October the bonus trip to POR
2015 - 20th trip!September WLV first trip with DD!
2017 - Sept Poly first trip with two toddlers!
2018 - May AKV & POR the last before school trip.
2019 - May SSR & Kidani
2022 - April Poly, SSR, WLV
2023 - POFQ & AKL
alkel2730 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List