Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Feb 20, 09:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninja
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 142
Question Bamboo Toothbrush

Has anyone got/used a bamboo toothbrush, I want to stop using plastic ones but don't like the feel of wood in my mouth, I hate it when I get to the end of a lolly So what I want to know is do they feel like this when brushing your teeth or are they coated with something?
Ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 09:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Vinniecat
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Ninja View Post
Has anyone got/used a bamboo toothbrush, I want to stop using plastic ones but don't like the feel of wood in my mouth, I hate it when I get to the end of a lolly So what I want to know is do they feel like this when brushing your teeth or are they coated with something?
I've been wondering this as well. I remember as a child getting an ice cream tub with a wooden spoon at the pictures. I couldn't stand it. Thinking about it is making my teeth feel funny.
Vinniecat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

I can't help with how it feel but read something really interesting the other day regarding the increased use of bamboo for things like this. The article said that if we stopped using plastic and resorted to using more bamboo then it wouldn't necessarily be a good thing for the environment as there would be increased deforestation to make way for the amount of bamboo needed. I never had thought of it in these terms before, gives food for thought.
marypoppins38 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
HevaDuck
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Haven't tried a toothbrush but bought a bamboo keep cup for work but don't like the taste of that I'd thought of trying the straws too but have gone for scilicone instead
HevaDuck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 10:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Mobile

Bamboo is very fast growing and biodegradable though. Plastic is in the environment for 300 years, toothbrushes and other items made of mixed plastic aren't recyclable, most plastic ever made is still in the environment. Ultimately we can't continue to consume in the quantities we are, but toothbrushes are obviously essential.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Lostbrain View Post
Bamboo is very fast growing and biodegradable though. Plastic is in the environment for 300 years, toothbrushes and other items made of mixed plastic aren't recyclable, most plastic ever made is still in the environment. Ultimately we can't continue to consume in the quantities we are, but toothbrushes are obviously essential.
Depends where you live - we are 100% zero landfill and it would get incinerated and made into electricity with spoils going to construction (and that even includes all the filters in the stacks ) - bamboo isn’t that environment friendly but is fashionable . It is often grown in developing countries then flown or shipped over but makes people feel good using it - not for me .

I can’t stand wood in my mouth (VS now have them in their Upper Class paper Amenity kit ).

Some substitutes work others don’t - plastic has its place in my life although I do try and cut down on packaging (but that’s hard where I shop)
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Ellelledee
Imagineer

Mobile

They are ok. My daughter uses one - she is keen on doing what she can for the environmental issues so like she has metal straws etc and uses a bamboo toothbrush. I got one when we went to Florida there was no odd taste or anything. I don’t really notice to be honest
Ellelledee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Ninja
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 142
Thanks for your replies. I never thought of the sustainability of them!

Our council supposedly sends general waste to be used for electricity too, don't know how much of it goes though, I may just keep using Colgate toothbrush until I can find something else
Ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Lostbrain View Post
This ^ . We’ve found no difference to the plastic ones , no wood taste etc . I think primark have started selling them as they are selling more and more sustainable products
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List