Notices

Old 11 Sep 17, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DJStu89
A Guest at All-Stars

Mobile Villa Damaged - Refund?

As some of you may have seen the villa we were due to stay at has been damaged by Irma meaning that it is no longer suitable for habitation.

I've asked the villa owner for our money back. They have told me that I need to claim from my insurance company. I don't think this is correct.

Surely it is up to the owner to refund our money and then they can claim from their insurance for loss of income due to the storm damage?

The service which we have paid for now cannot be delivered by the owner. Surely they are responsible?

Your thoughts?
DJStu89 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by DJStu89 View Post
As some of you may have seen the villa we were due to stay at has been damaged by Irma meaning that it is no longer suitable for habitation.

I've asked the villa owner for our money back. They have told me that I need to claim from my insurance company. I don't think this is correct.

Surely it is up to the owner to refund our money and then they can claim from their insurance for loss of income due to the storm damage?

The service which we have paid for now cannot be delivered by the owner. Surely they are responsible?

Your thoughts?
I agree with you - they can't fulfil the contract if you can't stay there so you're not getting what you paid for.
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 06:28 PM  
Link to this Post
spenners
I'm Ready To Go NOW!

spenners's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 10
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
What do their terms and conditions say?

Las Vegas - October 2023 (6th West Coast Trip)
New York - February 2019 - My 50th Birthday Trip (1st Visit)
Florida - January 2024 - Taking mini me for her 30th birthday (22nd Visit to Florida)
Florida - September 2024 (23rd visit) - just me and hubby
spenners is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
DJStu89
A Guest at All-Stars

Mobile

Originally Posted by spenners View Post
What do their terms and conditions say?
No mention of what happens if they cancel, only if I cancel.

They have had to cancel due to the property being damaged.
DJStu89 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I agree with you, they should refund as they are no longer able to provide what they promised, the loss of earning along with the repair costs they should recover from their insurance company. Hope you get it all sorted and have a great holiday
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

Mobile

Does your contract not have a section about refund or canceling?
Every villa we have rented mentions these things in the terms.
West Coast road trip 2018 (CO,CA,MT,ID,WA,OR,NV,UT) Yellowstone/Yosemite
Alabama, Florida & New Orleans - May 19
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Check the small print of the contract you signed. That should state who is liable if the contract is not fulfilled. How did you pay? That will affect whether you can get your money back. If a credit card you might be able to get a charge back.If not then I would consult with your insurance. You can guarantee the villa owners will be claiming for the damage on their insurance,

Edited at 06:40 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
I sit in the same camp as Geoff on this one.
Have little doubt that if you do claim through your Insurance that behind the scenes they will pursue the villa owner to get their money back.

Best of luck.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
ELLENUT
Imagineer

That's shocking. I believe you are entitled to a refund if its them that is cancelling and they should be claiming on their insurance. I would also check if they have a management company to see if their villa is actually damaged. Hoping they are not taking advantage of the situation. If you paid any of it on a CC then contact them as they will get involved.

After thought...If need be ,I would also let them know that you will still be coming on holiday and staying nearby and will need to drop by to gather evidence.
1992: Days Inn Lakeside 1994:HOliday inn Maingate East 2006:Pop Century 2008:Saratoga Villas 2010:Regal oaks 2013:Indian Ridge Villa 2015:BA Club,Disney,POR,Villa, RPR,2016 United business, Sunset Ridge villa 2019: Virgin, 4 Corners Villa 2023: CSR & 4 Corners Villa again!

Edited at 06:46 PM.
ELLENUT is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Tricky one. My opinion as an ex Cape Coral vacation rental owner, I would refund you in full, laying a claim at my insurers door, which I did when a water pipe develop a pin hole leak. Whilst the insurance didn't pay for the water damage, they did for loss of income.