Notices

Old 11 Sep 17, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
captain-codeye
Imagineer

captain-codeye's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by bonnies mum View Post
Someone we know switched their holiday away from Florida when their airline offered a change.
However, the owner of the villa they had booked is refusing to refund.
Surely villa owners have loss of income insurance for events like Irma.
I would not be expecting a refund under those circumstances, the villa is available and ready for the guest.
captain-codeye is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 07:30 PM  
Link to this Post
fastboysam
Trainee Dibber

They are cancelling on you not the other way around! They should refund you and they should claim off their insurance! Seems strange that they have not offered to help find an alternative via their mc or other owners they might know. From what I've read damage to villas has been minimal, mostly pool screens and some fallen trees, think I smell a rat like another poster said!
Old 11 Sep 17, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
diddyskipper
Earning More Ears

I've just dug out our contract to double check this. Ours states -

In the unlikely event that due to circumstances beyond our control, we need to make changes to or cancel any bookings at any time, we will inform you as soon as possible. We reserve the right to cancel any bookings at any time, and will only be held liable to refund monies already paid by you the client (including the Security Deposit)

So I do think you should be getting a full refund. It's like me invoicing a client for a service, then not being able to fulfil the contract but still expecting them to pay me.

I do however, based on your previous post, feel that there is something fishy with your villa owner. Who did you book through, and how did you pay? If it was by CC or PayPal you can request a refund via them.
diddyskipper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
kcanderson
Imagineer

Whilst im in your corner and think you should get full refund it could be a case of ,Force majeure , adverse weather conditions outside their control
kcanderson is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 08:10 PM  
Link to this Post
nordictat2girl
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by kcanderson View Post
Whilst im in your corner and think you should get full refund it could be a case of ,Force majeure , adverse weather conditions outside their control
Yes but the renter didn't cause the hurricane, nor did he cancel the booking. It seems very odd the owners were so quick to say that he needs to contact his insurance? Fishy indeed.
West Coast road trip 2018 (CO,CA,MT,ID,WA,OR,NV,UT) Yellowstone/Yosemite
Alabama, Florida & New Orleans - May 19
nordictat2girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
bonnies mum
Imagineer

Im led to believe that the flights were cancelled but that may no be accurate.

Edited at 08:29 PM. Reason: Deleted
bonnies mum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 08:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Gusgusmummy
Imagineer

Gusgusmummy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by DJStu89 View Post
As some of you may have seen the villa we were due to stay at has been damaged by Irma meaning that it is no longer suitable for habitation.

I've asked the villa owner for our money back. They have told me that I need to claim from my insurance company. I don't think this is correct.

Surely it is up to the owner to refund our money and then they can claim from their insurance for loss of income due to the storm damage?

The service which we have paid for now cannot be delivered by the owner. Surely they are responsible?

Your thoughts?
Maybe name the villa so dibbers can avoid them in the future
Gusgusmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
benjitheman
a Friend of the DIBB

Originally Posted by kcanderson View Post
But surely that's what the owner's insurance is there for. I don't see why the renter should have to chase for his money back through insurance when it's not the renter's choice to cancel.
benjitheman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Spooky
Getting Excited

Just checked the t&cs for our villa booking this year, as expected

"14. In the unlikely event that, due to circumstances beyond their control, the Owners
are forced to cancel the booking the Owners will only be liable to refund in full monies
already paid by the Client."

I would insist that they explain their reasoning, as surely your insurance company would require proof of the damage/condition before paying put.
Spooky is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Sep 17, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
kcanderson
Imagineer

Originally Posted by benjitheman View Post
But surely that's what the owner's insurance is there for. I don't see why the renter should have to chase for his money back through insurance when it's not the renter's choice to cancel.
cut from terms and conditions of our last rental
Force Majeure
The owners and their agents accept no responsibility or liability for any loss or damage or alterations to the terms of this booking caused by events beyond the owners control including, but not restricted to, war, civil commotion, flight delays or cancellations, technical difficulties with transportation, alteration or cancellation of schedules by carriers, adverse weather conditions, fire, flood, industrial dispute or any other event beyond our control.
kcanderson is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List