Notices

Old 23 Sep 17, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
rcrutchley101
Serious Dibber

Anyone been or going to Naples soon?

I booked to go to Naples on 9th October for 5 nights and I have no idea whether things will be back to normal by then or whether I should change to another location. British Airways have said they will allow me to amend my booking free of charge if I need to.

I have been watching Naples News and it looks like a lot of things are still not open. My hotel is reporting they are still assessing damage after Irma and intend to re-open on 30th September.

Starting to stress out about. Anyone going soon or been recently that could advise whether we should look elsewhere.

Thanks
rcrutchley101 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 17, 10:47 AM  
Link to this Post
brindle
Imagineer

Sorry can't help , we were going to the keys and have changed to treasure island..why don't you ask on tripadvisor ?
Terre Verde Resort April 2008+ April 2010
Florida Keys July 2009
brindle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 17, 10:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Are you staying at the Grande?

I saw their Facebook posts, sounds like there’s still a lot of work to be done.

We’re not there until next May so no worries for us there but I do feel for those going soon.

We love Naples, it’s awful seeing the damage but I feel sure they’ll have everything back up and running as soon as they can.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 17, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
rcrutchley101
Serious Dibber

Yes, stopping at Naples Grande and they are still assessing damage. Not easy making a decision as it all may be ok by the 9th but I don;t want to be out there stressing if it gets cancelled on me.
rcrutchley101 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Wobbles
VIP Dibber

Wobbles's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
A colleague is.

The Naples Municipal website has loads of influence. They have power and this weekend they lifted the order to stop boiling water.

Trip Reports
Howling @ the Horror 2015 (Complete)
Who knew Toronto was on the Med (Complete)
Getting Our Kicks - Pre Trippie
Wobbles is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 09:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

We stopped at the Grande end of August. It's about a 15 -20 min walk along the boardwalk via the mangrove to the beach. If the boardwalk has gone and access to the beach is gone then I would change. Could you move gulf hotel so it's further up where hurricane not as strong. The Grande also has underground parking so I guess this flooded. I would look elsewhere.
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Noodle500 View Post
We stopped at the Grande end of August. It's about a 15 -20 min walk along the boardwalk via the mangrove to the beach. If the boardwalk has gone and access to the beach is gone then I would change. Could you move gulf hotel so it's further up where hurricane not as strong. The Grande also has underground parking so I guess this flooded. I would look elsewhere.
I was thinking that the underground parking lot would be a huge issue for them as a lot of the hotels plant works would be down there and water damage would be excessive.

I hadn’t thought about beach access as we prefer the pool. Only normally make it to the beach once or twice when we stay for a week. But I agree that if the walkway is lost it will have a big impact as it makes the beach totally inaccessible from that area.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
FloRidaLvr
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by rcrutchley101 View Post
I booked to go to Naples on 9th October for 5 nights and I have no idea whether things will be back to normal by then or whether I should change to another location. British Airways have said they will allow me to amend my booking free of charge if I need to.

I have been watching Naples News and it looks like a lot of things are still not open. My hotel is reporting they are still assessing damage after Irma and intend to re-open on 30th September.

Starting to stress out about. Anyone going soon or been recently that could advise whether we should look elsewhere.

Thanks
We are not due in Naples until 5th November so recovery should be a bit further down the road. I did read on Tripadvisor that The Grand had lorries blocking the way into hotel so might be worth asking on that post if anyone has been near the hotel recently and how things are looking. Hope you don't have to cancel as it's in such a lovely location.

Did you phone BA to find out status of your hotel or did it show up on your booking? We have an hotel booked in Marathon and things don't look good down there so just wondering how to proceed.

Hope you get things sorted, let us know how you get on
Florida 95 to 2006, Mexico/Belize 2007, Florida 08 to 2012, California Apr 13, Detroit/Florida April 14 , Naples Nov 14, AMI May 15 , Naples Nov 15, West Coast May 16, AMI Nov 16, Naples Nov 17 , AMI May 18, Naples Nov 18, AMI May 19 , Naples Nov 19, AMI May 22, Bonita Springs Nov 22, Bonita Springs May 23
FloRidaLvr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Sep 17, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
rcrutchley101
Serious Dibber

Have any of you got any ideas as an alternative location. Everything is looking quite expensive as it's getting quite close now.

I forgot about the underground car park I guess that is what's cause a lot of issues.
Old 24 Sep 17, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
FloRidaLvr
VIP Dibber

We are staying at The DoubleTree by Hilton Naples which has just reopened ... have BA given you any options or are they leaving it up to you to pick a hotel somewhere ?
Florida 95 to 2006, Mexico/Belize 2007, Florida 08 to 2012, California Apr 13, Detroit/Florida April 14 , Naples Nov 14, AMI May 15 , Naples Nov 15, West Coast May 16, AMI Nov 16, Naples Nov 17 , AMI May 18, Naples Nov 18, AMI May 19 , Naples Nov 19, AMI May 22, Bonita Springs Nov 22, Bonita Springs May 23
FloRidaLvr is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List