Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Dec 18, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Im sorry I dont think thats wise. Would recommend seeing a local orthadentist - mine had to be adjusted, checked etc so many times, and no way would I trust just being sent in post, and not fitted properly.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
ashilda
Relaxing at the Grand Floridian

Mobile

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
Im sorry I dont think thats wise. Would recommend seeing a local orthadentist - mine had to be adjusted, checked etc so many times, and no way would I trust just being sent in post, and not fitted properly.
This is my local orthodontist! I have been in and they have done scans and 3d imaging, obviously they will be extracting teeth and fixing grips to my teeth, they will check 1st set fit properly and show me how to remove/insert them, they will show me how to scan my teeth using the app and then that's it I won't see them again until it's over! All the other invisalign are sent through the post and I'll scan teeth to dentist weekly!
ashilda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by ashilda View Post
This is my local orthodontist! I have been in and they have done scans and 3d imaging, obviously they will be extracting teeth and fixing grips to my teeth, they will check 1st set fit properly and show me how to remove/insert them, they will show me how to scan my teeth using the app and then that's it I won't see them again until it's over! All the other invisalign are sent through the post and I'll scan teeth to dentist weekly!
Gosh, well, good luck! Sounds very modern compared to my treatment, am sure your teeth will be beautiful at the end.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
hideinpockets
Apprentice Imagineer

hideinpockets's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Is there another orthodontist in your town you can visit for another quote / second opinion? It seems very odd you won’t see your dentist for almost two years. I’m not sure I’d be comfortable doing that and just trusting it’s going to be ok.

I went to get a quote last week for mine. Invisalign would actually take longer for me than ceramic / train track braces which is obviously cheaper so if I do it I’m just going to go for that! But I’ve seen lots of positive reviews of Invisalign but I think I’d want more contact with the dentist.
hideinpockets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
ashilda

Mobile

I've called them tonight as it is concerning! They've said it's new invisilign where you are actually monitored more! They said old invisilign you have to go in every 8 weeks to collect your next set and for dentist to see your teeth whereas with scanning app the dentist will see my teeth every week. They said invisilign manufacture the mouds without ever seeing my teeth it's all done on scans. They did say if they see anything on scan not going the way they expect then they'll call me in, guess everything is weird at first when it's new! I'm hoping it will be ok, they're the best dentist in my area and the orthodontist has about 20 letters after his name so I trust them it just sounds so wrong!
Ultimately if it works as planned it will be amazing as I really don't have time to trekking to dentist every month or 2!

They've said my finance will clear on 1st Jan then they will order the invisilign and call me in mid Jan to fit them then 3-4wks after I'll have teeth extracted and attachments pit on teeth at the same time to save going back again! Then that's it... weekly scans and posted retainers until I get straight teeth in 21months!

I shall keep you all posted! I am nervous!
ashilda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Dec 18, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
SEAWORLD FAN
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by ashilda View Post
Thanks for the reply, I have to have 2 teeth extracted which worries me more than the invisalign! I have adult teeth that have decided to grow through and have pushed my other teeth all over the place!
Did you find you dribbled or got a lisp? I work in a finance office and I'm so worried about this! Also was it difficult or painful to remove them?

It's such a lot of money and such a strange system, I had all the scans and they said once I've had teeth removed and the little bits put on my teeth (forgot the name for them!) Then I'll get my retainers through the post and will have an app to scan pics of my teeth to dentist meaning... dentist won't need to see me until treatment completed in 21 months! As in I never go to see them during invisilign, they just look at pictures! Is this normal practise?!

Ps. I'm glad it worked out well for you! X
That process must be new. I was scanned at the start and told that the first phase would be 21 sets and that I would be given them in batches of 4 or 5 so that the orthodontist could check on progress regularly. I got attachments put on at set 3 and some IPR and then had another two lots of IPR at other check ups. I changed sets every fortnight and about half way through this reduced to every ten days as they were happy with the progress. At one of the check ups though the orthodontist asked me to keep that particular set in for an extra few days as one of the teeth wasn't exactly where he wanted it to be. I suppose this is the big plus for regular visits but if the new system allows for weekly monitoring then that is even better. I would just prefer to actually see the orthodontist in case I wanted to ask anything.

I am now on the second phase where I was re-scanned and got another 16 sets with attachments on different teeth. I have a slight lisp even now but I try to say some words a bit slower/more carefully in an attempt to offset this. With regards to removing the braces, I have always managed to get them out without much hassle but it takes a few goes to get the hang of it at the start and the first day of each new set can be a bit tougher than the previous one as it's tighter. I wouldn't say it is ever painful removing them but there is some discomfort some times, especially at the start of each new set as the teeth are moving into their new position.

Hope that helps.
SEAWORLD FAN is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Dec 18, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
ashilda

Mobile

Thank you sea world fan that really does help. The lisp thing is worrying me as I'm quite shy and a quiet speaker anyway so a lisp is the last thing I need. Hopefully I'll get used to them quickly.
Dentist says all invisilign is going this way and not because of convenience but because it's more monitoring, rather than my teeth not doing as expected but them not seeing this until 8wks later they can see problems before they happen, I've not seen the app yet but maybe I can ask questions on there, if not I'll just call in, I'm sure if I feel like I need to see them they won't say no.
It all seems too good to be true, straight teeth without going to the dentist 😂 maybe I should have shopped around I bet companies are doing it much cheaper! But I prefer knowing I have a good dentist close by if anything goes wrong. I can't find many pics online of people wearing them, they are all before and after and the ones wearing them have straight teeth! I want to see some on wonky teeth like mine!
Old 22 Dec 18, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

I completed my Invisalign in September 2017 and am very pleased with the results. It took 60 weeks and I went to see the dentist every 6-8 weeks for him to check progress and provide the next 3-4 sets of aligners.
There was nothing painful about the process at all (I too read the online horror stories). Follow the instructions, be scrupulous about cleaning both your teeth and the aligners and you shouldn't have any problems.
£4k seems to be the going rate, that's what I paid too. I then got a 5% discount for paying it all upfront. That kept me motivated on days when it felt hard to keep them in my mouth for 22 hours a day - I'd paid so I would damn well see it through!
At the end I was given two options - either a bar fixed behind my front teeth to hold them in position or clear retainers to wear at night. I opted for the latter as it makes for easier teeth cleaning.
Lisping was never an issue for me and I hope it won't be for you either. Most people had no idea I was wearing aligners unless I told them.
Old 22 Dec 18, 01:48 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
My daughter had traditional braces and a gap was created to make way for an implant. The braces are now off and while she's waiting for the implant she has a clear plastic retainer with a tooth on it. It looks very good and you wouldn't be aware the tooth was missing.

Edited at 11:07 PM.
BevS97 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Dec 18, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

Following this thread as I'm also considering having either traditional braces (ceramic though so mildly less obvious) or Invisalign. Actually went to an orthodontist a couple of years ago with the intention of getting them, but then work got so busy that I couldn't manage to schedule any follow up appointment and decided that it wasn't good timing to have braces done.

Might try to schedule an appointment with an orthodontist in January! And I guess if I went for Invisalign one advantage might be cutting down on my snacking throughout the day?