Notices

Old 30 Aug 19, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
123TOPAZ
Helping Minnie

Here now - Hurricane advice?

We're here now and due to fly home next Friday (6th).

Just wondered what to expect re. the hurricane - I'm guessing everything closes including parks, supermarkets etc? Does everything open fairly quickly after?

How long is it likely to last?

We'll be going to the supermarket today to stock up but not sure if we should be doing anything else in preparation.

We have had communication from the villa owner with lots of general advice but not really sure about the parks etc? We have tickets for MNSSHP on Monday and droid building on Thursday 🙄
123TOPAZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
teachx
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by 123TOPAZ View Post

Just wondered what to expect re. the hurricane - I'm guessing everything closes including parks, supermarkets etc? Does everything open fairly quickly after?

We'll be going to the supermarket today to stock up but not sure if we should be doing anything else in preparation.

We have had communication from the villa owner with lots of general advice but not really sure about the parks etc? We have tickets for MNSSHP on Monday and droid building on Thursday 🙄
I arrived on my last visit the day after Hurricane Irma struck, and the parks all re opened that day, having been closed for 2 days. Irma was a Cat 5 storm which is further up the scale than Dorian is. It is difficult at this stage to say how long it will last or even where it will hit. Irma was a direct hit on Central Florida, this may not be. I would say 2 days would prob be tops, it may just be 1 day, no one seems to know what this one is going to do.

2023 Pop Century/Rosen LBV 2019 BC/Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2017 POR/Floridian Hotel & Suites 2016 Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2014(2) Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014 Rosen Inn International 2009 Rosen Plaza 2006 Travelodge I Drive 2004 Howard Johnsons I Drive
teachx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 07:32 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Its difficult to predict at the moment.
For Irma everything including parks closed for 2 days as there was a curfew in place.
I think Disneyworld has only ever closed 7 times due to hurricanes since it opened... (not confirmed but think i read that)
Old 30 Aug 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

I don't think anyone knows. We are also here now in a Dibb villa (we were in Beach club at start and had one night at RPR). Villa owner (Steve) emailed us to check all Ok and if he can help, managentment company came round in person to ask us to bring in outdoor furniture etc today. we are due to fly tomorrow with BA, not heard anything from them, assume all OK as Dorian still a couple of days away.
Yesterday we were at Volcano Bay (which is AMAZING) and lifeguards were talking to each other about shifts, heard them tell each other that they have been told they will be shut Tuesday...of course things can change between now and then.
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 07:41 PM  
Link to this Post
neatfrk
Imagineer

Sounds like it is now a Cat 3, expected to make land fall at Cat 4 status. May not be as strong as Irma - but Dorian is slower moving which spells trouble with flooding and winds.

From what I've seen so far - sounds like you'll start to feel the effects of outer bands late Sunday night into Monday morning. The storm's impact will be felt through Wednesday as it slowly makes its way up Florida.

Right now the US and European models disagree on the track, but both agree on where Dorian will make landfall. So Orlando could be in the path or not - too early to tell.

Check in at the front deck of your hotel. They will have more information and can help you get prepared for what to do in the event things get bad.

Good luck. Disney is well prepared and handles these storms with the best of them. You are in good hands.
neatfrk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

If Irma was anything to go by, you've already left it too late to stock up at the supermarket. Things like water & bread were all sold out (or only available in very limited quantities) days before Irma hit. I was there in the week running up to Irma and had thankfully bought a lot of stuff at the start of my stay when the shelves were all fully stocked.

I flew out the day before Irma hit (2 days earlier than planned). Some friends were staying in Orlando throughout as it was their honeymoon, so I gave them all my food & water on the final morning.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
boxblue
I want to go now!

Mobile

We’re in a very similar situation to you, we fly home Saturday 7th.
We’re also in a villa but haven’t really had any contact from the owners/rental company!
Starting to worry about how bad it may be but most reports seem to suggest by the Time it gets to Orlando it should be a cat 1 which isn’t really anything to worry about (apparently!)
we’ve stocked up on water/food etc but we had breakfast at Polynesian this morning and it gave us the idea of possibly booking a few nights in a Disney hotel, maybe Tuesday to Friday, I’ve heard/read lots of good things about Disney being good in these situations, and it may just be a little less daunting being surrounded by other people and lots of Disney staff, rather than on our own in a villa!
It will also give us a chance to experience on site as we’ve never done it before!
It’s obviously an expense we hadn’t planned for but we’re thinking it may be worth it.
Anyone out there been through a hurricane experience before? What was it like?
boxblue is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
MEGGYJOE
Imagineer

We also fly home from the 6th from Tampa and hope it wil, be ok to travel down the day before
Old 30 Aug 19, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Everything you ask will all depend on what actually hits,and where it hits.
Irma in 2017 was a cat 4 and it closed everything down for 2 days including airports/parks/ shops restaurant.
There was a 2 day curfew put in place to allow the clean up process.
And even after that restaurants had little to no food as they had lost everything due to no power.
Disney is a very good place to be they have there own power supply and you have the added benefit of disney staff at hand to help.
There was a loss of power in some places for over 7 days. we suffered
6 days in a villa no power so we moved to a hotel for a few days that had power.
Make sure you have supplies water and at least 2 days food you can eat cold snack food is a good option.
Get your ice machine to make as much ice as you can so if power goes off you can use it to keep food fresh by leaving it in your freezer and pack with ice.
Make sure your mobiles and any other devices are fully charged at all times.
Get a torch just in case.
If your in a villa and have a car try to bring it in the garage, yes it is only a rental but it could also be a live saver.
We used ours to power devices and to get a little aircon time, but if it is outside and gets damaged you do not know how long it will take to get replacement.

Find a room in a villa that is central walk in closet/ bathroom and put bedding and supplies in there just in case you need to take shelter.

It could last 2 days do not go out if it goes calm all of a sudden this could just be the eye of the storm passing.

Check to find where your nearest shelter is just in case you are told to go there and keep watching local news to update.
Old 30 Aug 19, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kraken View Post
If Irma was anything to go by, you've already left it too late to stock up at the supermarket. Things like water & bread were all sold out (or only available in very limited quantities) days before Irma hit. I was there in the week running up to Irma and had thankfully bought a lot of stuff at the start of my stay when the shelves were all fully stocked.

I flew out the day before Irma hit (2 days earlier than planned). Some friends were staying in Orlando throughout as it was their honeymoon, so I gave them all my food & water on the final morning.
We flew into Miami the day before Irma hit then drove up from Miami to Davenport at 3 am and called into a petrol station on the way and grabbed fuel water and food, along with an exodus of Floridians heading North
We then arrived in Hianes city and noticed the Walmart was open and people were coming out with 2 cases of water so we called in and yes we got 2 cases of water along with more supplies.
Walmart had pallets full of water and was allowing each customer 2 cases only, they had staff stood all round the pallets handing it out you could not pick your own.
There must of been half an artic load of water down one isle at 9am

There were so many people saying there was no fuel no water no nothing but this was not true it was there if you went out and got it.
Granted some places were stripped but Walmart even kept there supplies running as long as they could