Notices

Old 30 Aug 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post

I know this is a bit late advice. But I always buy lots of bottled water and dry snacks when we arrive at a villa, prob enough for 3 or 4 days if we go in hurricane season. Sounds silly but then at least you have it. If we don't drink all the water then we leave it in the villa, it doesn't cost much but I would far rather have it in advance than the supermarket run out. Same with snacks, we eat what we can, bring some home and leave the rest. You never know if the next person in the villa needs them although some management companies bin everything. Some villas, owned by English renter tend to leave some non perishable food in the cupboards anyway.

Also as we tend to stay on Gulf Coast I always check where the evacuation route is as well. It's good to know in advance rather than panic.

I know this doesn't help you now but worth bearing in mind in future.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by TEL N KEL View Post
Everything you ask will all depend on what actually hits,and where it hits.
Irma in 2017 was a cat 4 and it closed everything down for 2 days including airports/parks/ shops restaurant.
There was a 2 day curfew put in place to allow the clean up process.
And even after that restaurants had little to no food as they had lost everything due to no power.
Disney is a very good place to be they have there own power supply and you have the added benefit of disney staff at hand to help.
There was a loss of power in some places for over 7 days. we suffered
6 days in a villa no power so we moved to a hotel for a few days that had power.
Make sure you have supplies water and at least 2 days food you can eat cold snack food is a good option.
Get your ice machine to make as much ice as you can so if power goes off you can use it to keep food fresh by leaving it in your freezer and pack with ice.
Make sure your mobiles and any other devices are fully charged at all times.
Get a torch just in case.
If your in a villa and have a car try to bring it in the garage, yes it is only a rental but it could also be a live saver.
We used ours to power devices and to get a little aircon time, but if it is outside and gets damaged you do not know how long it will take to get replacement.

Find a room in a villa that is central walk in closet/ bathroom and put bedding and supplies in there just in case you need to take shelter.

It could last 2 days do not go out if it goes calm all of a sudden this could just be the eye of the storm passing.

Check to find where your nearest shelter is just in case you are told to go there and keep watching local news to update.
Maybe a bucket so you can go pee too instead of having to leave the closet shelter.

Windup radio so you can hear any advice from emergency services. We were in FL in July and had the local radio on by the pool and everyday they would check the emergency signal at certain times of the day. Good to know they are prepared.

Edited at 08:37 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 08:35 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by boxblue View Post
We’re in a very similar situation to you, we fly home Saturday 7th.
We’re also in a villa but haven’t really had any contact from the owners/rental company!
Starting to worry about how bad it may be but most reports seem to suggest by the Time it gets to Orlando it should be a cat 1 which isn’t really anything to worry about (apparently!)
we’ve stocked up on water/food etc but we had breakfast at Polynesian this morning and it gave us the idea of possibly booking a few nights in a Disney hotel, maybe Tuesday to Friday, I’ve heard/read lots of good things about Disney being good in these situations, and it may just be a little less daunting being surrounded by other people and lots of Disney staff, rather than on our own in a villa!
It will also give us a chance to experience on site as we’ve never done it before!
It’s obviously an expense we hadn’t planned for but we’re thinking it may be worth it.
Anyone out there been through a hurricane experience before? What was it like?
If you can afford to go to a Disney hotel and feel unsafe then do that, Disney have there own Power supply and as you say you have the help of Disney staff.
The only downfall is every one scare mongering about what may happen.
I have experienced a few Hurricanes Irma 2017 was my last, my first was very scarey as I did not know what to do and had no support.
Most homes Villa are very well made and will with stand most Hurricanes.
No 2 Hurricanes are the same so it is hard to say what you may experience
Old 30 Aug 19, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
mrs rcch
Imagineer

Be prepared for the noise, I found that the most scary part.
The noise of the wind, and rain coming down was horrendous.

Have an alternative route ready for your destination, we had lots of trees down and the ditches were flooded and running onto the roads, quite a few diversions.
Lots of shops closed early, to allow their staff to prepare their own homes.
Plus afterwards, we found very little open for a couple of days, due to “spoilt” stock, or no stock.
We were staying in a villa, and not a hotel.
Our M/C were garbage, no help whatsoever, just left to our own devices, we found the best information on a leaflet from Publix, plus the tv.
mrs rcch is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 11:57 PM  
Link to this Post
fredflintstone
Imagineer

fredflintstone's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
A point to note is that most hurricanes reduce in intensity very quickly when over land and are more dangerous at the coast.

IRMA would not have been Cat4 in Orlando, indeed it hit the coast as a 4 first and then at Marco Island as a cat3. and was to the west of Orlando as a Cat1 and so still powerful, but nowhere need a major hurricane.
Same will happen with Dorian if it hits Orlando. So those who witnessed Irma etc need to think what it would have been like at the coast when it hit land.
fredflintstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 01:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Tj28
Getting Excited

We are the same as our management company has been rubbish. Been trying to get hold of them and they are not returning calls.
We actually thought we would be ok as our flight was moved forwards from Tuesday to Monday. But now the airport is closed so we won’t be leaving! As a result we need to think about getting supplies. Actually not so worried about water as we have lots of containers in villa and I read somewhere (on here maybe?) about freezing bags of water.

We got stuck in Antigua with a cat1 hurricane about 20 years ago. We actually slept through most of it. We were in a hotel though so were very well looked after, had generators and good advice. So although I know what the storm could be like, I’m a bit worried about being without support.

The main thing from our experience was the amount of water. Everything was wet and it crept into every window frame, under the door etc. Clothes and towels stayed damp. So try and have clean clothes / towels and bedding available and stored away for when it starts.
Tj28 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 02:17 AM  
Link to this Post
MEGGYJOE
Imagineer

We are in a villa and have had a poster on our door basically saying to put pool furniture in the garage. We had an email two days ago from villa owners stating what supplies to get, standard email that I assume the whole estate has had.
My stress levels can’t take it though so we have booked a Disney Hotel from Sunday and checking out Thursday.
We fly home Friday from Tampa and hope all will be ok.
Old 31 Aug 19, 03:01 AM  
Link to this Post
123TOPAZ
Helping Minnie

Thanks for all of your advice, we'll be checking the news to see what's happening.

We've managed to get water etc but fingers crossed it will ease off before it hits us.

We've had lots of emails and info from the villa owner who has asked that we bring in pool furniture etc.

I guess it's just a waiting game now ☹
123TOPAZ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 03:59 AM  
Link to this Post
boxblue
I want to go now!

Mobile

Originally Posted by MEGGYJOE View Post
We are in a villa and have had a poster on our door basically saying to put pool furniture in the garage. We had an email two days ago from villa owners stating what supplies to get, standard email that I assume the whole estate has had.
My stress levels can’t take it though so we have booked a Disney Hotel from Sunday and checking out Thursday.
We fly home Friday from Tampa and hope all will be ok.
Out of interest did you call or book online? Doesn’t seem to let you book direct with Disney online if it’s within 7 days and I’ve tried calling but it’s just constantly busy!
How did you manage it?!
boxblue is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 19, 05:25 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Originally Posted by boxblue View Post
Out of interest did you call or book online? Doesn’t seem to let you book direct with Disney online if it’s within 7 days and I’ve tried calling but it’s just constantly busy!
How did you manage it?!
Try Expedia. You can do a room only booking on there
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List