Notices

Old 1 Sep 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Wheres this scaremongering comment come from? There was the largest hurricane since Andrew (killed dozens, wiped out large areas, I was there just after), about to slam into the East Coast around Vero. Its only later yesterday the models showed it would likely hover above the Bahamas for 30 hours (imagine a hurricane verging on Cat 5 hovering above you for a day and a half? horrific).The comments on here were very useful and helpful, hardly scaremongering. Orlando airport was until yesterday afternoon closed from 2am Monday! I dont think anyone was suggesting it would still be CAT 4 at Orlando, CAT 1 was likely.
Businesses have shut down in Orlando. I got an email from my title company to say they didnt know when they would be back open!
Having been in the Bahamas just 2 weeks ago, I really feel for those people and hope its not as bad as some are predicting.

plus.. even 60 / 70 mph winds inland are going to cause damage to some properties which are not in good state of repair.
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Forecast models are changing again. - 2.00p.m. our time.

Florida may still be hit.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 02:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridarules
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Upgraded to a 5- must still be vigilant
Marriott Motel, IDrive 1991, Davenport 2009, Windsor Palms 2010, 2012, Windsor Palms/RPR 2014, Windsor Palms, RPR, HRH 2016, Anna Maria, RPR, HRH & Windsor Palms 2018, Miami, Orlando, Anna Maria & Naples 2019. Orlando/HRH Easter 2022 & Miami/Orlando/RPR/Anna Maria/Naples 2022, Orlando 2023, Exploring Tampa 2024, Family relaxation at Anna Maria 2024
Floridarules is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
16offtodisney!
Apprentice Imagineer

We are here at the moment, local new is stating we may still get hit, it depends if dorian curves up the coast, at the moment it hasnt! Due to fly tuesday, havent a clue if we will or not 😕
DLP Newport bay Sept 2008,DLP Santa fe April 2010, Emerald Island Easter 2012,Indian Creek May 2014, Rosen inn @Pointe, Royal Pacific, Springhill Suites Christmas 2015,Port Orleans French Quarter October 2017,Cabana Bay, Doubletree @Seaworld, Allstars Movies Christmas 2018
Sarah xx
16offtodisney! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
ManCity
Helping Minnie

Being realistic, and interpreting the forecasts in the manner they are meant to be interpreted, is not scaremongering - it is being sensible and responsible.

The track shown going up offshore is only the predicted course of the EYE of the hurricane. If you read the details of the last forecast, it is now cat 5, with hurricane force winds extending out 30 miles from the centre and tropical storm force winds out to 105 miles. Dorian is not a point but a massive weather system covering a HUGE area. Superimpose a circle of radius 105 miles on the track of the eye and you will see that Dorian WILL affect almost the entire east coast from Vero Beach, through Cocoa, Daytona, St Augustine, with tropical storm force winds and predicted storm surge of up to 15 to 20 ft. That is why there are evacuations. That is not a 'non-event' and is not 'Dorian bypassing Florida' as the title of this thread implies. Furthermore, the current forecast is not for landfall in the Carolinas either, but for a track continuing offshore.

MCO is only 40 miles from the coast. Even if the eye only comes to 60 miles offshore, then MCO could be getting tropical storm force winds. That is why they are being cautious, as they still don't know for sure how close the eye will come. If all you care about is WDW and Universal (which are further west) remaining open, then your blinkered view may be of a 'non-event', but lots of Dibbers go to the east coast. KSC is already shut.

When you see the forecast track, people jump to the conclusion that is the actual path. Dorian isn't following the forecast and the models are not as accurate as we would like. NHC are actually showing a 'cone of uncertainty' - the path of the eye is just expected to be somewhere between the left and right hand sides. The left hand edge is still shown as being over land - so there is is still a chance of landfall of the eye - it is just less probable than the eye remaining offshore. Dorian hasn't been following the centreline of the cone yet - so far it has tended towards the right, but it could equally move to the left. Let's hope it continues to go more to the right.

Let's keep the discussion realistic.
ManCity is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by grommitt View Post
At least it will stop the scaremongering the other threads
Have you ever been through a hurricane?
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 03:35 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Wheres this scaremongering comment come from? There was the largest hurricane since Andrew (killed dozens, wiped out large areas, I was there just after), about to slam into the East Coast around Vero. Its only later yesterday the models showed it would likely hover above the Bahamas for 30 hours (imagine a hurricane verging on Cat 5 hovering above you for a day and a half? horrific).The comments on here were very useful and helpful, hardly scaremongering. Orlando airport was until yesterday afternoon closed from 2am Monday! I dont think anyone was suggesting it would still be CAT 4 at Orlando, CAT 1 was likely.
Businesses have shut down in Orlando. I got an email from my title company to say they didnt know when they would be back open!
Having been in the Bahamas just 2 weeks ago, I really feel for those people and hope its not as bad as some are predicting.
200mph winds in the Northern Bahamas. I fear there will be catastrophic damage for them
angelbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 03:38 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by angelbabe View Post
200mph winds in the Northern Bahamas. I fear there will be catastrophic damage for them
Keep safe Debbie and DonnaD and all my other DIBB friends who have to live through this.

Mick
Old 1 Sep 19, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Whilst I'm now confident our flight will go as planned on Saturday , I'm still not confident our cruise will go as planned as it's a Bahamas cruise. Time will tell . (I do have a back up plan)
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
angelbabe
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Keep safe Debbie and DonnaD and all my other DIBB friends who have to live through this.

Mick
Thank you Mick

We are prepared and ready and hoping for the predicted sharp turn north and off out into the Atlantic with no landfall 🙏