Old 1 Sep 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ashchall95
Helping Mickey

ashchall95's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile New storms on the horizon

Hello

This is our first time travelling during hurricane season with what seems to be alot of storms going on. we are due to go on the 11th to Sanford

The new storms that are on the maps to the more experienced what type of time scales are they to get to land from where they are ? To me based on Dorian the new on looks bang on where Dorian was a week ago.

also as we have a package if we were to get cancelled flights how do providers handle this? do they cancel and send us for our full two week holiday just later/earlier or would we lose part of our holiday ?
Old 1 Sep 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
teachx
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 7
Originally Posted by ashchall95 View Post
Hello

This is our first time travelling during hurricane season with what seems to be alot of storms going on. we are due to go on the 11th to Sanford

The new storms that are on the maps to the more experienced what type of time scales are they to get to land from where they are ? To me based on Dorian the new on looks bang on where Dorian was a week ago.

also as we have a package if we were to get cancelled flights how do providers handle this? do they cancel and send us for our full two week holiday just later/earlier or would we lose part of our holiday ?
Here's a link to the NCH map with the 5 day projections for the other 2 nearest storms, both of which are not yet anywhere near being even tropical storms (the yellow crosses) and both are shown not moving towards Florida. The other one is a long way off and is a depression, but at present not a tropical storm.

nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=5

I fly on the 10th and really am not that concerned, as I have said what will be will be, my last trip was the day after Irma struck, and yes there was a period I though I might have to go a day or so later, but MCO reopened the day I was due to fly, as did all the parks.

2023 Pop Century/Rosen LBV 2019 BC/Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2017 POR/Floridian Hotel & Suites 2016 Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2014(2) Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014 Rosen Inn International 2009 Rosen Plaza 2006 Travelodge I Drive 2004 Howard Johnsons I Drive
teachx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ashchall95
Helping Mickey

ashchall95's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by teachx View Post
Here's a link to the NCH map with the 5 day projections for the other 2 nearest storms, both of which are not yet anywhere near being even tropical storms (the yellow crosses) and both are shown not moving towards Florida. The other one is a long way off and is a depression, but at present not a tropical storm.

nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=5

I fly on the 10th and really am not that concerned, as I have said what will be will be, my last trip was the day after Irma struck, and yes there was a period I though I might have to go a day or so later, but MCO reopened the day I was due to fly, as did all the parks.
thanks easy to let your head run away with things it knows nothing about!
ashchall95 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 07:13 PM  
Link to this Post
teachx
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by ashchall95 View Post
thanks easy to let your head run away with things it knows nothing about!
The NHC is the best website to look at where storms are concerned, regularly updated and having (in my opinion) the most accurate information. I go in September all the time, and accept there is always the chance, but only in 2017 did I encounter hurricane that close to my trip.

2023 Pop Century/Rosen LBV 2019 BC/Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2017 POR/Floridian Hotel & Suites 2016 Red Lion Hotel Kissimmee 2014(2) Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014 Rosen Inn International 2009 Rosen Plaza 2006 Travelodge I Drive 2004 Howard Johnsons I Drive

Edited at 07:14 PM.
teachx is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

The 2 yellow x you see are not actually anything yet and the one in the Gulf is travelling westward towards Mexico so away from Florida.
The orange x over near Cabo Verde could well form into some thing, what and when is the question, and how fast it moves across.
I travel out on the 13th so keeping an eye on this one but I reckon as it looks now we should be fine for both our days.

If your tour operated was to cancel your flights when you have a package you usually get an other to move your dates or book a different holiday elsewhere.

Don't worry sit back and just sit back and look forward to your holiday no point worrying until some thing does stir up, and at present it has not.

Edited at 09:28 PM.
TEL N KEL is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Sep 19, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
4holibobs
VIP Dibber

Will be following this thread with interest... thanks for the updates and information.

It IS easy to let thoughts run away with you even though we have flew into MCO both in 2016 and last year with no problems, Dorian has really shook me up!

Fingers crossed these stay clear and calm and we can all have peaceful trips.
4holibobs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 19, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Redsnapper
Imagineer

Its all a bit nerve racking isn't it (flying on the 12th)
Old 2 Sep 19, 06:02 PM  
Link to this Post
teachx
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Redsnapper View Post
Its all a bit nerve racking isn't it (flying on the 12th)
I fly on 10th and am not really worried at all. Of the 3 "storms",I use quotes because none of them are classified as storms at this moment, they are disturbances which may or may not become storms. The one in the Gulf of Mexico is actually moving West towards Mexico, the one in mid - Atlantic according to NHC's 5 day forecast is shown as tracking North, and not towards Florida. The 3rd one is 300 miles W of the Cape Verde Islands, which puts it just under 3,500 miles from Florida. Whilst this one is the one most likely to turn into a storm, at this distance it would take some time to get into range. The average tracking speed of a storm is around 10 mph, which would therefore take some 350 hours to reach Florida - just over 2 weeks so it is highly unlikely at this stage that next week's flights would be impacted. As for me personally, someone who always goes in September, I accept that this sort of thing is possible, but it doesn't deter me, my last visit was 2 years ago and I arrived the day after Irma struck, but its the only occasion in all my visits that I have encountered a possible impact of a storm, but hey ho it is what it is if you go to a sub tropical climate these things are always possible

Old 2 Sep 19, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida Gator
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I am trying hard not to become obsessed with looking at the tracker for potential storms! We go the 18th, going to be a long few weeks waiting for travel day! It’s our first time in September - wanted to go for my 40th, we usually go in spring...
Florida Gator is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Sep 19, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ashchall95
Helping Mickey

ashchall95's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Florida Gator View Post
I am trying hard not to become obsessed with looking at the tracker for potential storms! We go the 18th, going to be a long few weeks waiting for travel day! It’s our first time in September - wanted to go for my 40th, we usually go in spring...
I feel like a few of us are doing this now after Dorian, frantically checking the reports. I always go in September and have never checked the storm reports but I'm all of a sudden I'm aware of every disturbance in the sea when every other year there very well could have been more and I have just been oblivious
ashchall95 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List