Notices

Old 4 Oct 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Jasmin2020
First POST

What to do during a hurricane?

Hi everyone with Hurricane Dorian happening recently, I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts generally are about if Walt Disney World is somewhere safe to be during a hurricane? Our flight left a few days before Dorian arrived and I wondered whether it would be safe enough to generally stay on WDW property or if it’s better to leave/go to a different hotel/hurricane shelter if a hurricane were to happen again? Have any of you been in Florida when a hurricane has happened? What’s the safest thing to do? Thanks
Jasmin2020 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 19, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
kellsbells
Imagineer

We were staying at POFQ during Irma and were very well looked after. Lots of locals go and stay in Disney hotels as they are considered to be very safe (and i'm sure someone will correct me if not but I believe they have their own power supply).

It felt very reassuring that we were updated frequently about curfews etc and they also kept us entertained whilst the parks were closed.

If I were ever in Orlando during a hurricane again, that's where i'd want to be!

kellsbells is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 19, 05:13 PM  
Link to this Post
josephus_fl
slightly serious Dibber

josephus_fl's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Lots of Floridians stay in the hotels during hurricanes. Many offer Florida resident discounts and waiver pet fees etc.

I think that unless you're in a flood zone you don't really need to move location. Hotels are normally fine and if there is damage to a small section you can move rooms. Hotels have more rooms available during a hurricane.

If you're in a villa then you should be fine too. Most of these have been built with improved building codes so will withstand higher winds. The biggest risk with staying in a villa is loosing power which could be down for days. Tourists are unlikely to have sufficient water and food supplies or canisters for gas etc. so you could be a little more at risk being so isolated.

The destruction you see on the news is often older properties or those that were already distressed. Many Floridians live in caravans, which is why you see the mass evacuations and many people sleeping in schools etc. Their homes are too high risk to remain in when the wind speed increases.

Personally I stay at home. I've got a strong house and a portable generator and AC unit. I can run my fridge, freezer and keep a couple of bedrooms cool for a week; as well as having ample water and food supplies.
josephus_fl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 19, 05:20 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

As others have said, there is absolutely no need to leave a Disney hotel during a hurricane. Please don't even consider going to a shelter. They are for people with nowhere else to go who don't have safe housing and can't afford a hotel.

Coastal areas are far more vulnerable than Orlando in a hurricane.
Old 5 Oct 19, 07:41 AM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I was in Orlando right before Hurricane Irma; in fact was supposed to be there over Hurricane Irma but managed to change my United flight to one that left on the morning that MCO was closing.

Was staying at Pop that time, and was looking at all my options if I couldn't change my flight and had to stay in Orlando during the hurricane. The general consensus seemed to be that WDW hotels are built to withstand hurricanes. Disney might have its own power/water supplies (I think) so that helps. On my last night going back to Pop from Epcot (day or two before hurricane due to hit), I met a couple on the bus who were from another part of Florida nearer the coast, who had decided that staying in Disney was going to be much safer than staying at their home.

Looking at photos of after Hurricane Irma - it seems like most of Disney was relatively unaffected and the main issues around the grounds was fallen trees/foliage. So does seem like Disney is a relatively safe space to be during a hurricane...
Old 5 Oct 19, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

We were staying at the Boardwalk for Irma and it was fine, this was planned well before Irma. Only downside for us was that the curfew afterwards went on far too long. The counties next door allowed people to travel straight away after it had passed. We were stuck until 6pm when we could have been back in our villa at noon.

We were also in a villa for Matthew as well. For us personally where we were I've had windier days here in the UK.
Just to add I wouldn't have wanted to been on the coast though.

Edited at 07:52 AM.
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Astrid
Imagineer

Astrid's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We were at a villa during Hurricane Wilma. We, obviously, stayed in and just ate and watched tv.

It was very windy and rainy but we had precautions to take put through the door and felt quite safe. It didn’t last very long (overnight mostly). WDW was shut for a day but the following day everything was back to relative normal.

October '89 - Quality Inn; March '99 & March '01 - Comfort Inn LBV; March '02 - ASMu; May '03 - Royal Plaza, Hard Rock & Polynesian;
December '03 - Grand Marriot, Hard Rock & Dolphin; May '04 - Dolphin & WDW Yacht Club
October '05 - Hard Rock & Villa; May/June '07 - Villa & RPH; Feb '09 - Villa; Oct/Nov '13 - Villa
April '18 - Hard Rock; Sept ‘19 - Villa
Astrid is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Yes we were there for Irma at POR and were very well looked after. We didn’t lose power and the food court was open most of the time.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Like Donna D says please don't go to the shelters during Irma DH was out he moved in with neighbours so our gardener and cleaners with there families who work really hard but live in beautiful big manufactured homes on their land didn't have to go to shelters where yo literally get the width of a sleepinbag each if youare lucky
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 19, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Ce

Originally Posted by Jasmin2020 View Post
Hi everyone with Hurricane Dorian happening recently, I was wondering what everyone’s thoughts generally are about if Walt Disney World is somewhere safe to be during a hurricane? Our flight left a few days before Dorian arrived and I wondered whether it would be safe enough to generally stay on WDW property or if it’s better to leave/go to a different hotel/hurricane shelter if a hurricane were to happen again? Have any of you been in Florida when a hurricane has happened? What’s the safest thing to do? Thanks
Disney is the safest place.

It is not a question of IF a hurricane will strike its s question of WHEN

Daney332