Loews Portofino Bay Hotel 14 20.00%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7 Oct 19, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
stormflm595
Very Serious Dibber

Which Universal hotel to book?

Hi all

I have been incredibly lucky that I have recently been given some money from my dad which will pay for a 2 night stay at Universal and park tickets.

We would like to stay at one of the deluxe hotels so that we can take advantage of the Express tickets as well but as we have never stayed at Universal before we don't know which the best option for us would be. We are 2 adults and our plan of action for hitting Universal is something along the lines of this:

- Disney park including a table service meal, then back to AKL to pack some bits, then an Uber to Universal
- Check in to Universal hotel for 2 nights, have a little explore and bed
- Full day at Universal and IOA, taking advantage of the early admission for hotel guests and the Express pass
- Dinner in Citywalk, bed
- Next day would be Volcano Bay in the morning (though we may do VB the first day at Universal for the morning depending how tired we are), back to hotel to change and get ready. Then check out, pop our luggage with bell services and hit the parks again. Back to hotel after park closing to order an Uber back to Disney.

We're leaning to the Hard Rock Cafe because of it's proximity to the theme parks but would anyone go for somewhere else?

Thanks!
Old 7 Oct 19, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
Sweets
like a dog with a bone

Mobile

I’ve stayed at RPR for one night and HRH twice - once for 2 weeks and the other for 1 night.

We preferred HRH and we’re staying there again next year.
We prefer the feel/vibe of the place. We love how close it is to the parks. It’s such a cool hotel, we can’t wait to get back.

But any of the 3 hotels are fabulous in their own way.

Port Orleans Riverside ~ Oct 2012
Hard Rock Hotel (no Disney!) ~ Aug 2016
New York, Sheraton NY Times Square ~ Feb 2017
Santorini, Dana Villas ~ Aug 2017
Yacht Club ~ Sept 2018
Caribbean Cruise, P&O ~ Mar 2019
Caribbean Beach Resort ~ May 2022
Caribbean Beach Resort ~ May 2023

Sweets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Oct 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
IndianaMac
Imagineer

We've done both Hard Rock (one night 2016) and Royal Pacific (2 nights 2018) to get Express Passes.

We'll be booking Royal Pacific again for our summer '20 trip - a little quieter than we found HRH, grounds are beautiful, rooms well appointed, and it's but a five/ten minute walk to Citiwalk (enter at Margaritaville, which is great for a chilled evening, too).
IndianaMac is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Dr.JumbaJookiba
VIP Dibber

HRH gets my vote, we love it there.
Dr.JumbaJookiba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

We stayed at RPR and liked it but I was just going for the cheapest for our dates. For 2 adults I would do HRH. Have you been to Universal before? We spent a whole day at VB, if you like water parks I'm not sure I would only want a morning there. You know express passes are valid for 3 days I guess (check in day as well)?
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Oct 19, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
discoclare
Excited about Disney

Just looked at your signature and guess you have been before, so you probably know how long you want at each park!
discoclare is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
DreamsOfOrlando
Excited about Disney

We've been to HRH once (for the benefits of express passes with a 1 night stay), and we have booked HRH for next year again. We love how close it is to the park
May 2020 - CSR and HRH - DH 30th - Covid Cancelled!
February 2022 - Holiday Inn LBV, HRH and Pop - 21 Nights
DreamsOfOrlando is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 12:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Cez
Getting Excited

Cez's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
We have stayed at HRH on a number of occasions for 1 night to 3 nights. I can't recommend it enough and the fact you get express passes is another bonus.

DLP 2016
Cez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Oct 19, 12:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Only spending a single day between both the main parks feels like you won't do it justice to me, and I say that as someone who has stayed in all three hotels you list, generally for 4-5 nights at a time.

Express ride access is great, but I still would want to spend one day to devote to each park to enjoy them them properly and re-ride favourites etc.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Nov 19, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bluemoonno1
Trading Disney Pins

Have stayed at HRH and Portofino Bay... we preferred Portofino Bay. We were a group of 6 adults and 4 teenagers and managed comfortably in 2 rooms but it was for only one night
Bluemoonno1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List