Old 4 Nov 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by ASCollins View Post
One note I would add is to take a LOT of memory. If you are behind the lens capturing magic then that's awesome but if you are sat trying to review pictures to free up space then that is not cool.
I leave in 5 days for 2 weeks and am taking 592GB in total (and I'm still worried it's not enough!).
Take it as multiple cards though, just in case of corruption. I also back up every evening usually. Last trip I dodnt take a mechanism for this and was twitchy!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ASCollins
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

Originally Posted by caj View Post
Take it as multiple cards though, just in case of corruption. I also back up every evening usually. Last trip I dodnt take a mechanism for this and was twitchy!
Yes it's split across many, many cards!

How are you backing up? I don't have a laptop so won't have that as an option.
ASCollins is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

You can buy a portable hard drive with a sd card reader on Amazon. Look for 'My Passport SSD'. You can get it up to 2 terrabytes.

Edited at 03:36 PM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

I take a Sony bridge camera. 100x zoom but without the faff of carrying around lenses. I don’t tend to take it to the parks, more just for out and about/capturing wildlife etc.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
cambsno
Serious Dibber

I took a DSLR on first trip. On next 2 trips I just took my Fuji X100T and then the newer X100F with me - pocket (only just) size, DSLR quality and while its a fixed 35mm lens, it was fine in most situations - I left my Nikon D750 and 2.8 glass at home!
cambsno is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

To me it's a question of quality over convenience.

Last visit i relied on my mobile (Samsung s10+) for photo shots and whilst it was good there isn't much zoom capability.

I think next time I would consider talking a camera which can do decent stills and video (and then moan about the audio being crap)

For backups i took a WD wireless network drive which you can insert the memory card into to do backups which saves carrying a laptop with you.

I also took a gopro 6 and 7 with me for action shots but they are expensive.
Old 13 Nov 19, 02:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

We take ours but don't take it out every day. I do prefer the quality of the photographs to my phone but a phone is much more convenient.

There will be some stunning scenery/sunsets/sunrises/fireworks and as photography is one of your hobbies I expect you'll enjoy trying to experiment with the different settings on your camera to get a great shot.
Beth_Disney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 08:04 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

DH took one of these gizmos... WD wireless network drive... but I switched over it and truth be told didnt 100% trust it (not Dh, the black box). I'm wondering if it was the lack of lockable at backup that concerned me? Not sure. We got home and sd card photos were copied to pc while the car was being unloaded!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We take our 77D, along with just one lens, a good underwater and general camera (Olympus TG4 in a pouch on my belt loop. .. and of course our phones.

We multi centre and use the DSLR for cities, museums etc. We use the TG4 for parks, beach and Discovery Cove. We use phones for snaps.

We back up to IPad every evening and don’t wipe the cards either.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 08:51 AM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Nov 19, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Just bought a DJI Ronin SC gimbal for my next trip. Had a bit of a play last night. Amazing technology and improves the footage no end. I'll have a few 360 degree roll shots now and smooth as silk footage. The G9 has brilliant stabilisation but can't match a proper gimbal.
I also back up to a 256gb iPad with card reader and have 2tb icloud.
Just need to upgrade the GoPro Hero 7 black to an 8, get a drone, and get the Lumix 12-35 f 2.4 and I'm all set, unfortunately Mrs YT would have my guts for garters.

Edited at 09:23 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List