Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Feb 20, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Partyof3
Trying for More Ears

Do you use packing cubes?

Thinking of using packing cubes this year for our trips. Do any of you guys use them? Do you find they make packing easier/save space? Any recommendations of ones which are good?
Thank you x

Edited at 09:11 PM.
Partyof3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
nothingless
Very Serious Dibber

I've bought them for this trip for the first time! Got 3 sets of 6 each from Gonex off AliExpress - around 16-17 euros per set. We're moving hotels/villas a total of 6 times this trip, so I figured packing cubes would be super handy! So far I'm loving them, packing the cases has actually been so handy because you pack into the cubes, not the case. So it's easy to move cubes around to re-distribute the weight, and also easy to quickly find something - I have packed all my husband's shirts in one, all his boxers, all my daughter's shirts, all her shorts, etc, all into their own cubes. We haven't actually left yet but I already love them LOL!
nothingless is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post

I don't think they save space or make the initial packing any easier.

They don't save space because clothes are the same volume, plus the cubes themselves take up a bit more volume. They do not make packing any easier because you are still packing.

What they do is make unpacking and repacking easier. When we arrive, take the whole cube out and put in a drawer, try to generally keep it tidy, e.g. by placing laundered items back into the appropriate cube, and then when coming home or changing hotels, pick up the cube and drop straight into suitcase.

We pack mainly by type of item, so all underwear, all t-shirts etc. But we also do one big mixed cube with a bit of everything that we put in each other's suitcase on the way out in case of lost luggage. DH and I do our own packing and I much prefer packing his packing cube into my case than being handed a load of bits and bobs for me to find a spot for.

I know other peopleuse the cubes to pack day by day, but I cannot plan out my outfits on a day by day basis, so that is not for me.

A packing cube is a packing cube to me, I don't see how any could be more "good" than another.

Edited at 03:13 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Partyof3
Trying for More Ears

That's what I'm thinking it's got to be easier to find things! I have a baby so thought that it would useful to put nappies and wipes in one, clothes, accessories etc
Lol glad you are enjoying them already 😁
Partyof3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Partyof3
Trying for More Ears

Ah yes good point! That's true unpacking will be much quicker as far as transferring to the draw in the hotel room.
On amazin they really vary in price and I'm not sure why you would pay alot more as liks you say a packing cube is a packing cube!
Old 8 Feb 20, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Agree with a Claudette. They do not save space, what they do is make the packing and unpacking easier as in everything is together ie T-shirt’s , shorts, underwear etc. I bought them last year for our Florida trip and now use them all the time for traveling to and from U.K. from here. They’re relatively cheap. I also use them to pack away winter and summer clothes out of season

Edited
A cubes a cube, has a zip and worlds no way would I pay a lot of money for them

Edited at 02:50 PM.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

We do, but only because we move around a bit. Wouldn't bother if we stayed in the same hotel for a week or two, pointless faffing about.

In fact we used them before packing things were a 'thing' - by splitting into carrier bags and zip freezer bags. Don't think you can get the big ones any more.

Edited at 02:54 PM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I've never seen the point until we did our mini road trip. Really wished I'd had them then!
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 20, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Partyof3
Trying for More Ears

Ah thanks! Good idea about using them for seasonal clothing too. That's my thoughts get the cheapest ones as I'm sure it will do the job!
Old 8 Feb 20, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Angcap
Getting Excited

I have just bought some off groupon. Strangely I have found that they have saved loads of room. I have been able to compress all the piles of clothes into neat, tight cubes (I am a folder not a roller lol).
Angcap is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List