Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 20 Feb 20, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
smary
Getting Excited

Mobile Trips/things to do in Reykjavik

Off to Reykjavík for 4 days over the Easter weekend in April.. we have a northern lights tour included and the golden circle/blue lagoon day trip booked for one of our 4 days. Does anyone have any other suggestions of things to do/trips to book for one of our days (obviously we will have probably half a day or longer to look around the city itself). Thank you!
[FONT="Georgia"]October 2007 -Windsor Palms, October 2009 - Highlands Reserve, August 2014 - Windsor Palms, June 2016 - PoR, October 2017 - Emerald Island, August 2019 - CBR, June 2022 - Windsor at Westside[/FONT

smary is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 03:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Perkins
Excited about Disney

We went to Rekjavik last January and stayed at Center Hotels Arnarhvoll which is right on the front looking out at the sea - near the big conference centre.
Just a thought, but they have a rooftop bar and restaurant - it had happy hour about 4pm for wine and beer (not that we are big drinkers) but it was very romantic with lovely views if you have time to spare, they also had an outside viewing area with tables and chairs - too cold for us, but you might be interested.

we also went whale watching - didnt see any and I was violently sick for most of the trip - not a great experience for me but they did give you the opportunity to have another go on the trip in the next 2 years should you return.
Lots of whale watching tours in the harbour to choose from.

Edited at 03:54 PM.
Perkins is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 07:40 PM  
Link to this Post
anji
VIP Dibber

Mobile

We stayed there too - great hotel!
Definitely go up the tower of the cathedral for amazing views.

Index to all trip reports here https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...3#post15913083
Seattle to San Francisco
Road Trip Florida 2017
New England Road Trip 2019
Florida Road Trip 2022
Canada/Pacific NW Road Trip 2022
Cyprus Chill week May 2023
Road Trip California & Arizona 2023
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

We had a visit to the National Museum of Iceland and combined this with a walk around the city to explore. Later that evening we went to see the northern lights.

The next day we did the golden circle tour which was just amazing!

The next day we did the blue lagoon which was also amazing!

And then we went home the day after.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 10:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mrsdjh
Imagineer

I went a couple of years ago in February. As well as the things you have already planned in, we did the South Iceland, waterfalls and Black Sand Beach day trip with Grayline.is/tours which was amazing and I’d definitely recommend this trip!

We spent a full day in Reykjavik visiting the Perla Museum (great café there) , Harpa Concert Hall, the Cathedral, Solar Voyager sculpture, and had fish and chips at Icelandic Fish and Chips. You can get a free shuttle bus up to the Perla Museum from outside Harpa.

Fantastic place to visit - particularly in the snow.
mrsdjh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Feb 20, 11:04 PM  
Link to this Post
babynugget
slightly serious Dibber

I am surprising hubby with a trip there in March for his 40th birthday, so far I have booked a northern lights tour and the blue lagoon on our arrival day with transfers from the airport. After reading this I will be looking at the golden circle tours.

Can anyone advise on how much spending money to plan for for two people going for four days? Sorry don't mean to hijack OP thread
Old 21 Feb 20, 11:58 AM  
Link to this Post
smary
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Perkins View Post
We went to Rekjavik last January and stayed at Center Hotels Arnarhvoll which is right on the front looking out at the sea - near the big conference centre.
Just a thought, but they have a rooftop bar and restaurant - it had happy hour about 4pm for wine and beer (not that we are big drinkers) but it was very romantic with lovely views if you have time to spare, they also had an outside viewing area with tables and chairs - too cold for us, but you might be interested.

we also went whale watching - didnt see any and I was violently sick for most of the trip - not a great experience for me but they did give you the opportunity to have another go on the trip in the next 2 years should you return.
Lots of whale watching tours in the harbour to choose from.
Thanks for the tips! How much was whale watching in £ in Reykjavik as I've been looking trips up online and it's coming up around £60-70 each?!
[FONT="Georgia"]October 2007 -Windsor Palms, October 2009 - Highlands Reserve, August 2014 - Windsor Palms, June 2016 - PoR, October 2017 - Emerald Island, August 2019 - CBR, June 2022 - Windsor at Westside[/FONT

smary is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:00 PM  
Link to this Post
smary
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by babynugget View Post
I am surprising hubby with a trip there in March for his 40th birthday, so far I have booked a northern lights tour and the blue lagoon on our arrival day with transfers from the airport. After reading this I will be looking at the golden circle tours.

Can anyone advise on how much spending money to plan for for two people going for four days? Sorry don't mean to hijack OP thread
I'm thinking of taking £400 spends for four days for myself! I'm working on the idea of £100 per day which may seem excessive but it is meant to be ridiculously expensive for food & drink and I'd rather take too much!

Old 21 Feb 20, 12:26 PM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

We had £360 on our starling card and we came back with a bit left over. We barely spent anything while we were there.

We didn’t take much physical cash either, just about £50 worth of Icelandic krona. It is pretty much a cashless country, card is accepted all over.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Partyof3
Trying for More Ears

Mobile

We loved our trip here was sooo amazing and full of natural beauty. Whale watching would be great! Its expensive but not as crazy as what we expecting
Partyof3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List