Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 11 Aug 20, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

I don’t know what they will do. I don’t think uptake at OKW was that high.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

That's interesting, I would think people would want to extend if only to keep the value of their investment for longer. I know disney do OKW resales with a later end year, I wonder if they will do this for some of the other resorts later. It may encourage people to buy direct rather than the resale market? I may ask this as another question and see what people think, I know DVC is not an investment as such but when I am thinking of spending larger amounts of money on something I always consider value very carefully.
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Merryweather17 View Post
The end date is something that has us leaning towards one of the later resorts for greater value for £$ in the longer term. Does anyone know if disney would consider extending the date of some of the 2042 resorts in the way they did with OKW?
I've spent a lot of time looking into DVC the last couple of months.

Disney have a lot of problems with extending OKW. Turns out they have effectively extended all contracts even if the owner did not pay and are now buying them back to sell with the 2057 expiration.

I doubt Disney will offer an extension in the same way. More likely to let them expire and then do a huge refurb so they can sell at a higher cost per points and also have higher points charts in line with the new resorts.
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Aug 20, 10:22 PM  
Link to this Post
BarryandCaron
Imagineer

BarryandCaron's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

Sometimes holiday times change though. We bought an October use year as we always went late August. Since DH retired from teaching we can go anytime so May and September are our current favourite months. Our use year isn’t really conducive to those regarding banking.
Old 12 Aug 20, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

The dates when you travel change so I wouldn’t worry about it. Only a few years ago I had no intention of going at Xmas, we now intend to do so every year.
The only way it’s relevant is if you buy resale and how it clashes with points banked (will you travel before they disappear), a banking deadline (4 months before UY) or whether the points fit in with your planned first trip (for example, you want to go September 2021 as your first trip, need 2 year’s points, August use year means you could bank this years’ points and new points would ‘come on’ to the contract in time for a September trip.
Old 12 Aug 20, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by BarryandCaron View Post
Sometimes holiday times change though. We bought an October use year as we always went late August. Since DH retired from teaching we can go anytime so May and September are our current favourite months. Our use year isn’t really conducive to those regarding banking.
I also left teaching a few years ago and am now not sure we have a specific time we will be going, I did love late August though and so may try to visit in September some years if only for the f&w festival.
Merryweather17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Aug 20, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
The dates when you travel change so I wouldn’t worry about it. Only a few years ago I had no intention of going at Xmas, we now intend to do so every year.
The only way it’s relevant is if you buy resale and how it clashes with points banked (will you travel before they disappear), a banking deadline (4 months before UY) or whether the points fit in with your planned first trip (for example, you want to go September 2021 as your first trip, need 2 year’s points, August use year means you could bank this years’ points and new points would ‘come on’ to the contract in time for a September trip.
Thanks, this is something I hadn't really considered in terms of first usage. Do you know how long it usually takes from offer to being able to use the points for a booking?
Old 12 Aug 20, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Merryweather17 View Post
Thanks, this is something I hadn't really considered in terms of first usage. Do you know how long it usually takes from offer to being able to use the points for a booking?
Many variables- I’ve been 6 weeks and 3 months. I’d assume 3 months to be safe.
Old 12 Aug 20, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Merryweather17
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks, in that case I may look to rent some points for our trip next year just to be on the safe side. Now to check out the sites for this, I have heard some are better than others, does anyone have a recommendation - especially given the whole covid situation.
Old 13 Aug 20, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Shooby doo
Imagineer

Shooby doo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 12

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
In your situation I don't know how much a UY would affect your planning but for us, we 99% of the time holiday in Sept/Oct so chose a Jun UY, we are always in a deficit (currently) as we have been going every year- the initial plan was every 2- & because of this trying to holiday before our "new" UY limits our options.
For example:
'20-'21 = 74 '21-'22 = 175 we have booked for May so in theory have 249 to use (before 50% rule)
BUT
If we waited until Jun to holiday
Bank '20-'21+ '21-'22 = 249 '22-'23 = 175 & we now have 494 to use. Basically , for us, it's always easier if we plan a holiday for "after" our UY has started which does sort of mean we can be limited for May for example.
SD
Raddison Inn LBV '92,Comfort Inn LBV '94,Residence by Marriott LBV '98,Comfort Inn Kids Suite LBV '99Springhill Suites LBV '01,Summerfield suites LBV '03 ,Holiday Inn Sunnspree LBV '04 ,Staybridge Suites LBV '06 ,Caribbean Beach WDW '08 DVC= WLV +SSR '12,SSR '14,SSR +US Royal Pacific '15 SSR '16 AKL/SSR '18 WL/SSR'19 SSR '22
DVC Owner Extraordinare-SSR
Shooby doo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List