Notices

Old 25 Oct 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Hong Kong 2019 - Day 0 Travel Day

The day started in a relaxed manner. F and I had hair appointments at 9am - though even at this early hour the hairdressers was running 30 minutes late!

Hair tidied up, I nipped to the supermarket for eggs and toilet paper and then faffed about at home. My flight wasn't until 2.15 so I was in no rush.

I got changed and we left at about 12noon. J works near the airport so has worked from home so he could take me in. I had a big hug from F.

We had to go via the stables to drop F's riding boots off as she had a lesson later and would be going on her bike. There were some unexpected roadworks which delayed us by about 15 minutes but J dropped me off at about 12.45pm

I had already checked in and was only traveling with hand luggage so I went through security, got an avocado wrap and coffee from Pret and headed through passport control. I ate my wrap while waiting to board.

My first flight was on an A320 too Heathrow. I had a window seat - the flight was pretty full.

We took off 10 minutes early. I just read my kindle on board. The flight flew past and we were 20 minutes early arriving in Heathrow terminal 5.

The airport was very busy - half term I guess. I got some shampoo etc and some treats in case I was hungry on the flight.

At about 4.30pm I decided I would go to eat.

Giraffe was the restaurant of choice.

I had a lemon and mint lemonade.

I had the avocado and egg sandwich with the spicy sauce on the side and home fries.

It was very tasty. I am glad I had the sauce on the side though. It came to about £13

Although the gate wasn't showing the board did indicate that we would be departing from terminal C so I made my way over there via the underground train.

The sun was setting over the airport.

I had managed to book an aisle seat on the upper deck. There was a lot of waiting around and I eventually boarded at about 6.30pm. The flight was due to leave at 6.40...

Again the flight was full - was a surprise as tourism has been hit hard by the recent demonstrations. I had a very nice Hong Kong lady next to me.

There was a big issue with the video system. It worked for some (me included) and not for others. They tried to reboot it about 4 times, including one massive reboot but apparently some people didn't have any films all flight.

Eventually I started to watch A Star is Born (again! ). Dinner was bought round about 2 and a half hours into the flight.

I had ordered an Asian vegetarian meal. The salad and dessert were decidedly average but the curry was nice enough.

I think I saw to the end of the film but must have them nodded on and off.

The rest of the flight will be in tomorrow's installment!

Edited at 01:51 PM.
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
app
DIBB App Manager

New Photo Added by Melbatb - 25 Oct 19 1:50 PM.
app is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Rabel
Very Serious Dibber

Looking forward to seeing what you think of HK and whether the unrest is as reported.
And also how your son is doing!
Safe travel and thank you for posting
Rabel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Great start Mel, the lemon and mint lemonade looks very refreshing. Lovely photos of the sunset too.

I hadn’t seen A Star is Born until recently but I remember from your trip reports that you love it, I did too and I have watched it twice now 😀

Can’t wait to hear about your reunion with O 😀
DisneyDaffodil is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Oct 19, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

Looking forward to reading about your trip.
Old 26 Oct 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rabel View Post
Looking forward to seeing what you think of HK and whether the unrest is as reported.
And also how your son is doing!
Safe travel and thank you for posting
Thank you! I am about to start yesterday’s report!
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Oct 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Great start Mel, the lemon and mint lemonade looks very refreshing. Lovely photos of the sunset too.

I hadn’t seen A Star is Born until recently but I remember from your trip reports that you love it, I did too and I have watched it twice now 😀

Can’t wait to hear about your reunion with O 😀
I love that film!
New update coming shortly!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 26 Oct 19, 11:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by kateh134 View Post
Looking forward to reading about your trip.
Thank you! So far so good

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Old 26 Oct 19, 01:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Good start always enjoy your trippies

Joan
Old 26 Oct 19, 01:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mick View Post
Good start always enjoy your trippies

Joan
Thanks Joan! This is a really special trip for me!

Index of my trip reports