Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 20 Feb 20, 09:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

When I first went to WDW there was no such thing as a dining plan. People just payed for their meals.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
jocesk
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
We did this whilst staying in All Stars Movies in 2005. We had 2 adults and a two year old. We had no car and in any case, knew no better.

We felt that we got absolutely ripped. I was extremely resentful to the extent that we did not return until 2009. It was in 2009 that we stayed on IDrive and found out what things really cost in the United States, (I.e outside of Disney and the Theme parks). Since 2009 we have visited the States 9 further times as well as returning yet again this Easter. We regard the USA as a great value destination overall.

We have learned to shop wisely and eat our own breakfast.

We have learned that it is healthier and miles cheaper to take in our own packed lunches into the parks.

We have learned where to eat out every evening.

As for the actual cost? I can only remember that it deterred me from returning for 4 years. I would never stay onsite again.
To be honest that’s a totally different holiday experience to staying onsite. For many the whole restaurant dining is a massive part of the holiday. I can’t think of anything worse than taking packed lunches on holiday . I make enough for school at home.
jocesk is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Camsmummy
slightly serious Dibber

We’ve not done it yet but will be in August.We are staying at Coronado springs for 2 weeks and have no dining plan.This was not by choice and if I had known earlier that we were going back I’d have booked before the free dining ended.My DH surprised me with it at Christmas and was quite adamant that he wanted to stay onsite, he’d even been to a travel agent and got a quote with the QSDP included(paid for). I booked everything myself and got everything for almost £4,000 less than the travel agent wanted without a dining plan. We will eat breakfast in the room and do a supermarket trip for drinks and snacks. I know it’s not going to be cheap but it’s going to be our last trip as a family over there .I am actually quite looking forward to the freedom of not having the plan and I’m sure we will Uber off site a few nights to eat.
Camsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 04:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Dunc
Very Serious Dibber

Stayed onsite for 2 weeks without DDP multiple times. We budget $15 per person per meal for QS. We also do 1 dinner and 1 buffet breakfast ADR, and add this to budget. So 1 Sig at $160, and ! buffet at $75. Works for us.
Dunc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Elise79
Imagineer

Mobile

We stay onsite all the time and haven’t used a dining plan since 2010 when we first got DVC.

We have never spent as much as the DDP would have cost us plus we also don’t over eat.

Since DD turned 10 there is no way it would work for us.

Like others have said we get snacks/drinks/breakfast for the room. We will also go out to IHOP for breakfast and for about $15/person have a good breakfast and we don’t need lunch.

Dinner is a mix of Disney restaurants/ offsite restaurants and the lounges.
Elise79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 20, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post
mummybear
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks all.

We had DDP last time and used all our credits, we were actually short of credits towards the end.

We do tend to eat 3 times a day, always onsite, with a sit down meal each day and we used our snack credits daily.

I think we would be looking at around £3000+ on food and drink over 2 weeks for 4 of us!
mummybear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List