View Poll Results: Should pupils stand when a teacher comes into the classroom
Yes they should 128 35.85%
No they shouldn’t 229 64.15%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Feb 20, 11:19 AM  
Link to this Post
TC Devon
Imagineer

No I don’t expect them to stand for me, as a FS teacher I’m happy when their bottoms are on the carpet!
At secondary school I used to have to stand and also called the teachers Sir and Mam.
TC Devon is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 11:28 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

Yes they should, and they should learn National Anthem

Edited at 11:30 AM.
evergreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
marypoppins38
Imagineer

Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
Yes they should, and they should learn National Anthem
We used to sing the national anthem after the register had been taken every day. It still shocks me that these days some kids don't even know the words to it.
marypoppins38 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
We used to have to stand when the headteacher walked into the classroom when I was in high school.

I always remember this one incident when a boy in my form class was quite small and the headteacher didn’t think the boy had stood up, he starts shouting him to him loudly about standing up when the headteacher walks in, the boy was too scared to tell him he was stood up and the form teacher quietly told the head that he was stood up but he’s quite small...

I left in 2012, but they still do this now if the head teacher walks in.

I can’t say it contributed to my level of respect, I never really saw the head more than a few occasions when he poked his head in the room and left, I’ve always been respectful to those that are respectful to me, it goes both ways.

Edited at 12:10 PM.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

I hire a gym hall from a school in the evenings.

The state it is left in is atrocious. And the damage done to PE equipment makes me think they are not children but wild animals.

We are told we have to leave the hall as we find it - which amuses me as would involve scattering crisps / food litter everywhere (broken beer bottle this week), chucking all PE kit on floor and smashing up as much as we can.

Instead we put everything away as it should be.

I suggested that PE teachers should ensure the kids do this at the end of their lesson, to learn respect for things...response I got is you can't tell kids what to do these days... and comment on broken equipment was ah, that happens you know what kids are like. Nope - I know what feral wild animals are like.

Jeez... this is a school with a good rep (and a sport college!). Oh well, keeps my house price high I guess.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

How disruptive for learning children. There are plenty of other ways they can show respect and display good manners.
Old 6 Feb 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Very big generalisation, It is certainly only a small minority who are disrespectful to any teacher who is respectful to students and deserving of that respect back.
Clearly you are not a teacher or work in a school.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

I agree, it is disruptive.

I had to do this at a primary school I attended, boys also had to salute and girls curtsy whilst wishing the adult a good morning/afternoon. It added nothing to our academic or social lives, except to give the teacher a reason to complain if the actions were not completed to her standards.

I would not be happy if my children were expected to do this and I would make my views know to the head teacher.

Our local schools manage to maintain good discipline and respect without infringing on the time the children should be spending on their education. For some, the standing up and down would be too distracting. When a visitor is coming into the class, the teacher invites the class to welcome that person. Respect and discipline maintained without compromising education.

I think the mother is right to object.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
vampiress88
Imagineer

Mobile

No I don’t think they should stand up

I do think that kids should be respectful and I try to teach mine that.

The kids would be up and down like a jack in a box every time a teacher left the room. It’s rather old fashioned.

Would people also expect a man to stand up every time a lady moves from a table too?

I get it’s all suppose to be British etiquette but it all goes a bit far on those.
vampiress88 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Feb 20, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Over 100 votes in now. 55/45% split in favour of No.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List