Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Feb 20, 11:51 AM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Hotel issue - BA Holidays

We booked our upcoming trip through BA Holidays (flight plus Hotel)
We have 4 nights in Fort Lauderdale, we booked a 'non changeable/non refundable' rate for our Hotel stay.

We have since learnt (via Trip Advisor) that there is MAJOR construction happening next door, (a big new Hotel) I emailed the Hotel directly just to ask politely if we could have a view that is not overlooking the building work. They replied saying that since we booked through BA, they cannot change our room type and that all rooms in our category are overlooking the works.

BA said nothing of the construction when they took our booking, and it had already begun. I feel a bit annoyed that we might have noise/bad view when it was not advertised as such. It is not cheap, and is not just 1 night.

I might try contacting BA but am not hopeful that they will be able or willing to sort it out.

Any thoughts/advice please? I know there are worse problems to have.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
gl20
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve managed to get room changes through direct contact with hotel after booking through BA. So you did right but looks like you’ve been unlucky as no other rooms in the same category.

Seems you have 2 options
- keep trying the hotel direct and see if you get another person there who does find you another room.
- phone BA and ask for an upgrade, accepting you may need to pay. I suppose no harm in first pointing out the construction work and seeing if they will give you a better price or fee upgrade.
gl20 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Louise. I would get straight on to BA and tell them about the construction issue. I would be firm but polite and advise them that if they don’t move you at their cost you will be claiming the full cost of the hotel back on your return
They would lose in Court.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by gl20 View Post
We’ve managed to get room changes through direct contact with hotel after booking through BA. So you did right but looks like you’ve been unlucky as no other rooms in the same category.

Seems you have 2 options
- keep trying the hotel direct and see if you get another person there who does find you another room.
- phone BA and ask for an upgrade, accepting you may need to pay. I suppose no harm in first pointing out the construction work and seeing if they will give you a better price or fee upgrade.
Thanks, I did find it hard to believe the Hotel cannot choose to place us in another room, we wouldn't be upgrading we would be downgrading (and not asking for money back) we have a very nice suite at the moment, but it seems they are all on one side of the hotel (the building works side!) Just my luck...

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Louise. I would get straight on to BA and tell them about the construction issue. I would be firm but polite and advise them that if they don’t move you at their cost you will be claiming the full cost of the hotel back on your return
They would lose in Court.
Thanks, I will try and speak with them, I am just researching other Hotels in the area that BA have available to see if any are away from the construction. I do feel they really should have made us aware. I certainly wouldn't have booked had I known.

Our trip reports -
Loopylooloo is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I went to New York in 2016, booked hotel and flight as a package with BA, the hotel was upgrading most of the people to their superior rooms and would have upgraded us but I wanted a bath and they were only in the non refurbished rooms - ment we had the floor almost to ourselves though. I would ask BA for an alternative hotel, wouldn't want to stay in one with such a jobsworth attitude
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by sam7 View Post
I went to New York in 2016, booked hotel and flight as a package with BA, the hotel was upgrading most of the people to their superior rooms and would have upgraded us but I wanted a bath and they were only in the non refurbished rooms - ment we had the floor almost to ourselves though. I would ask BA for an alternative hotel, wouldn't want to stay in one with such a jobsworth attitude
I did wonder how it is that the Hotel are unable to change our room...? Surely they can allocate people as they see fit?! Seems rather odd.

Our trip reports -
Old 21 Feb 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

No advice, other than i too would be looking at what BA has in the area for an alternative.

When you ring, be firm and if necessary ask for a manager, then his manager.

Hope you get this sorted.

Disney332
Old 21 Feb 20, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Loopylooloo View Post
I do feel they really should have made us aware. I certainly wouldn't have booked had I known.
I think they should if they knew, but to give benefit of doubt, perhaps the hotel had not told them. I would certainly hope and expect they will agree to a change in light of the situation. Good luck.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
If BA Holidays have a Twitter presence I’d contact them that way. Despite some others here suggesting this would be inappropriate, I've always found BA at least to be very responsive to twitter queries, usually dealing with the discussion via DM. I’ve had several issues dealt with very swiftly this way.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 20, 01:35 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I had an issue with a hotel while I was on holiday in Singapore it didn't greatly impact us but the hotel pool was closed part of the day because of building work.

I emailed them, they came straight back to me, then phoned me at the hotel and issued a cash compensation immediately.

I have always found them very proactive, I will look for the email address I used.
munmun is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List