Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Feb 20, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by floridasgirl View Post
Everyone says Barcelona is no more dangerous than any other city but in my experience it's more rife!
The first time I went was as part of a group from work. We were fully aware of the situation and thought had taken precautions! One girl had her rucksack type bag on the front of one arm and someone ran up behind her and pushed her and grabbed the bag as he did and ran off! This was when we were walking down fron the cable car.
Then later on we were sat in the hotel var which you would expect to be safe and a few of the girls had put their bags on the floor in front of us. I suddenly saw someone at the side of us with one of the girls bags in his hand! Luckily he clocked me and handed it back! Not sure why but must have all been very calm as my manager at the time said I had just given him a dirty look, she hadnt realised what he had done!
For the record in both attempts both men were very smartly dressed Asian men who you certainly wouldnt suspect!
I have been back since and it's a beautiful city!
I second having a bag under clothes is probably the safest!
Las Ramblas is meant to be rife, they catch people as they stop to watch all the street artists.
Mmm, these are some of the experiences and reports I am reading on line. Las ramblas too anywhere where your attention might be distracted.

Good job you saw your friends bag go walkies. You must have quite a "look" to make them drop it and go !
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Barcelona does have an issue with pickpockets. Usually, as I understand from Spanish newspapers, in airports and bus/train terminals especially when tourists “look” like tourists!

Don’t put anything in your pockets on outside jacket pockets. Be aware in crowded places. Basically use common sense.

Enjoy, Barcelona is a great city
The more I see of Barcelona the more I am excited to go there. The culture, architecture and art looks amazing. 4 days may not be enough.

I am slightly sad to see that you had commented to be honest Tinkerbell. I could have conned myself into thinking it was hysterical tourists making these claims, but unfortunately if it is something more generally known in Spain and you have seen it in the Spanish press then that gives more credence to the stuff I am reading online.

Sounds like I definitely need to buy a new handbag. Fairly sure its so severe that I might have to buy a few in different colourways 😉

And maybe a suitcase 😂

And a coat with anti-theft pockets, and some shoes with secret compartments.

Am sure that Louboutin will have some...

👍
Old 22 Feb 20, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
We had 3 nights in Barcelona - and many days out in London.

To be honest I worry more about everything in London than I do in Barcelona.

You just have to be sensible - no expensive belongings in easy to reach places - ie your back pocket or an open handbag - how often do you see that? I always tell them to shut their bags when I see it!

I just had a cross body bag - kept the bag bit across my front and don't carry too much cash etc.

We use our phones, cameras in both cities without any worry - you just have to be aware of what your doing - ie check your phone while standing still - not wandering along staring at it and being oblivious to everything else.

We absolutely loved Barcelona and would have absolutely no issue with going back.
Good to hear you loved it. Am sure I will too.

Although the bag has come to the forefront of my mind reading the Barcelona reviews, I travel a fair bit in a lot of cities and lots have similar problems. It seems a bit unfair to have singled Barcelona out. Sorry.

It's just prompted action on something I had been pondering already. I.e. personal security whilst traveling.

Good tip about phones. Thank you !
Old 22 Feb 20, 02:19 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by baggers View Post
I’ve been to barcelona and whilst there are bag thefts and pick pockets I’ve not found it an issue as long as you have your wits about you. My husband proposed there and had the ring in his pocket but safety pinned closed.
Will remember to pack my wits.

If you asked my husband he would say they are harder to find than a decent anti-theft bag 😂

How romantic a place to propose !
Old 22 Feb 20, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
disney332
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
They have metal mesh in the material so it cannot be slashed.

Metal in the straps so they can't be cut.

Locking clips so you can attach them to tables and chairs etc.

Locking zips so harder to open quickly and unobtrusively,

RFID pockets so data can't be skimmed remotely.

They are quite good looking too, and practical. But moderately expensive so a bit of an investment if not going to use it a lot.

Normally around 50 or so.
Wow.., thanks

Disney332
Old 22 Feb 20, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Gull
Imagineer

I’ve never heard of these ! DH and DS have RFID wallets but I’ve never bothered with a purse, would need too many as I like them matching my bags I know I’m not safety aware enough. When I read threads like this and the house security ones, it reminds me of how different life is on a small island and that maybe I should be more careful when I leave our little bubble. I’m off to look at these bags now
Gull is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mskitty
Imagineer

Mobile

I've been to Barcelona twice now as a day visitor on a cruise. Both times I have worn a bum bag that has a proper belt buckle on it and threaded it through my belt loops on my shorts and then worn a long top over it and then I have spent most of the day with my hand on my bag. Makes me look slightly pregnant but maybe that's a good decoy 😂😂

As a side note, gorgeous city and really enjoyed our time there. We did lots of exploring on our own both times and would go back in a heat beat.
mskitty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 03:31 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

I have two pacsafe bags and absolutely love them. Apart from the safety aspect they have loads of pockets for all my stuff. I use them when I have to go to London or if I know I'm going to be in a crowded place.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Gull View Post
I’ve never heard of these ! DH and DS have RFID wallets but I’ve never bothered with a purse, would need too many as I like them matching my bags I know I’m not safety aware enough. When I read threads like this and the house security ones, it reminds me of how different life is on a small island and that maybe I should be more careful when I leave our little bubble. I’m off to look at these bags now
Life on a small island must be bliss though !

You can also get RFID sleeves. You just stick each credit card one inside one and pop it in your purse. That way you can shift the protection from.colour matching purse to colour matching purse...

I have these which I use on a daily basis.

amazon/WallTrust-B.../dp/B07G39X8GN
Old 22 Feb 20, 03:40 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by mskitty View Post
I've been to Barcelona twice now as a day visitor on a cruise. Both times I have worn a bum bag that has a proper belt buckle on it and threaded it through my belt loops on my shorts and then worn a long top over it and then I have spent most of the day with my hand on my bag. Makes me look slightly pregnant but maybe that's a good decoy 😂😂

As a side note, gorgeous city and really enjoyed our time there. We did lots of exploring on our own both times and would go back in a heat beat.
I do have a Kipling bumbag to be fair. But only ever used it in the parks. Suppose it might have been designed for use somewhere other than Disney !

I find it makes me a bit sweaty though, but certainly an option.

Good to hear your enjoyed your trip to Barcelona.