Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Jan 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Trip Reports with toddlers

Can anyone recommend any good WDW trip reports that include toddlers? We are taking our little boy in September when he is 23 months... I am keen to get as many tips and tricks before we go that I can!

Edited at 10:36 PM.
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 19, 11:28 PM  
Link to this Post
jrm
Trying for More Ears

I would be interested in this as well, we are taking our little girl in September too, she will have her second birthday while we are there, it will be our first trip with her so any advise would be welcomed
jrm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 19, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jrm View Post
I would be interested in this as well, we are taking our little girl in September too, she will have her second birthday while we are there, it will be our first trip with her so any advise would be welcomed
Oh wow how lovely to celebrate her second birthday out there! Our little ones are very similar in age!
Lisa_Lollipop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

We took our DS at 19 months. I didn't do a trip report and can't recall any offhand.

We had a great time. We stayed in a villa as we enjoyed chilling out in the lounge after DS was in bed.
For us early mornings worked for us. He was up at the crack of dawn which is perfect for Disney.
A lot of people recommend going home for an afternoon nap but we found being in the park rope drop until about 6pm worked best for us and skipping the evenings. DS just isn't a night own but all children are different so just experiment what works for you.

DS loved meeting the characters.
Take some small snacks for waiting in line.
Sticker books for restaurants
8 hour sun cream

You'll have a great time.
Old 3 Jan 19, 12:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Eccle
Imagineer

We've done trips with each of our three boys as toddlers, at 2y4m, 18 months and turning 2 respectively. My trip report from last year is still in progress, and not completely toddler focused as we had the older boys as well.

From my experiences, I would say:
Take lots of snacks for the plane, and some little toys and a tablet with something they like to watch. Also lots of snacks for the parks too.
We tend to do rope drop in the park, leave for rest, swim etc in the middle of the day and possibly go back later. They have all enjoyed and stayed awake for Fantasmic as toddlers, but night time shows are harder to do, our little one fell asleep in Happily Ever After last year!
They have all liked the furry characters as toddlers, but the little one wasn't keen on the face characters (maybe partly as he didn't really know who they were)
Don't rule out water parks, we didn't do them on our first couple of trips when the older two were little, but this time I was surprised how much our toddler enjoyed the lazy river and splashing in the little area at Blizzard Beach
The youngest's favourite rides were the gentle spinning in circles ones - Dumbo, Aladdin and Triceratops Spin - I think he went on the latter about 8 times in a row whilst others were doing Dinosaur and Primeval Whirl!

You will have a great time, the characters are so good with little ones. One of my favourite memories is Chip and Dale posting leaves down a drain with my middle son when he was 18 months
Eccle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 19, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by waiting4disney View Post
We took our DS at 19 months. I didn't do a trip report and can't recall any offhand.

We had a great time. We stayed in a villa as we enjoyed chilling out in the lounge after DS was in bed.
For us early mornings worked for us. He was up at the crack of dawn which is perfect for Disney.
A lot of people recommend going home for an afternoon nap but we found being in the park rope drop until about 6pm worked best for us and skipping the evenings. DS just isn't a night own but all children are different so just experiment what works for you.

DS loved meeting the characters.
Take some small snacks for waiting in line.
Sticker books for restaurants
8 hour sun cream

You'll have a great time.
Thank you so much for the tips, really useful! I think starting early will definitely be the way to go!

Love the idea of sticker books too, will start stocking up now!
Old 3 Jan 19, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa_Lollipop
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Eccle View Post
We've done trips with each of our three boys as toddlers, at 2y4m, 18 months and turning 2 respectively. My trip report from last year is still in progress, and not completely toddler focused as we had the older boys as well.

From my experiences, I would say:
Take lots of snacks for the plane, and some little toys and a tablet with something they like to watch. Also lots of snacks for the parks too.
We tend to do rope drop in the park, leave for rest, swim etc in the middle of the day and possibly go back later. They have all enjoyed and stayed awake for Fantasmic as toddlers, but night time shows are harder to do, our little one fell asleep in Happily Ever After last year!
They have all liked the furry characters as toddlers, but the little one wasn't keen on the face characters (maybe partly as he didn't really know who they were)
Don't rule out water parks, we didn't do them on our first couple of trips when the older two were little, but this time I was surprised how much our toddler enjoyed the lazy river and splashing in the little area at Blizzard Beach
The youngest's favourite rides were the gentle spinning in circles ones - Dumbo, Aladdin and Triceratops Spin - I think he went on the latter about 8 times in a row whilst others were doing Dinosaur and Primeval Whirl!

You will have a great time, the characters are so good with little ones. One of my favourite memories is Chip and Dale posting leaves down a drain with my middle son when he was 18 months
Thank you so much for this, super useful! The fact that you have been with all your boys at similar ages has to be a good sign that we are not mad for attempting this!

We aren't planning on any waterparks but have booked a villa on a great complex that has a splash park, lazy river and slides so the thinking is we will get our water fix here!

So excited for the character interactions!
Old 3 Jan 19, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
waiting4disney
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lisa_Lollipop View Post
Thank you so much for the tips, really useful! I think starting early will definitely be the way to go!

Love the idea of sticker books too, will start stocking up now!
Great to make the most of not having to pay for entry as well.
Buffet character meals are good at this age too as you don't pay for under 3s.
Old 3 Jan 19, 05:06 PM  
Link to this Post
MinnieMrsA
Imagineer

Mobile

HappyHaunt1000 - Brett & Jo have taken Marceline a few times as a toddler and write in a very Frank (and engaging!) manner.
MinnieMrsA is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 19, 05:08 PM  
Link to this Post
clochette
Apprentice Imagineer

Try Stewboy and Happyhaunt1000. They both write really entertaining reports. I hope you are going to write one Lisa; I love reading your reports.
clochette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List