Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 May 19, 03:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

Is this discussion about middle names on ESTAs still going?

This was brought up several months ago in other threads. People have posted the same images as have appeared in this thread way back then - the one showing the name in chevrons, for example. They’ve also posted what it says if you press on the question mark in the online application form and posted emails received from CBP themselves stating what’s required. This is nothing new.

It’s also been stated before that the change happened months before October 2018 - there are discussions about the change on tripadvisor from back in May 2018. I’m not sure where October came from?

However It’s worth noting though that, as far as we know, providing incorrect information regarding the Given Name field has not resulted in anyone being turned away. It might have resulted in a slightly longer time at immigration whilst they ascertain that you are who you say you are. But otherwise there has been no negative effects due to not including a middle name (up to now anyway).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

BTW, a quick search and here’s the first thread about middle names on ESTAs I happened to see:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1111407

That was over 4 months ago.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 04:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
To follow up on Nimbus' posting I have seen (on various threads on t'internet) at least 2 replies from CBP that state, "yes, you should have your middle names included otherwise it may delay you at immigration". I have seen no responses yet from CBP that have said "if your middle names don't match then you will be denied entry".

Of course, if you really want to feel like you are fully complying with CBP requirements then, by all means, renew your ESTAs - don't let anyone talk you around if that's what you want to do. It is $14 per person so how much do you value your own peace of mind? Personally, I will be using our old ESTAs (early 2018) without middle names.
Old 28 May 19, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
To follow up on Nimbus' posting I have seen (on various threads on t'internet) at least 2 replies from CBP that state, "yes, you should have your middle names included otherwise it may delay you at immigration". I have seen no responses yet from CBP that have said "if your middle names don't match then you will be denied entry".

Of course, if you really want to feel like you are fully complying with CBP requirements then, by all means, renew your ESTAs - don't let anyone talk you around if that's what you want to do. It is $14 per person so how much do you value your own peace of mind? Personally, I will be using our old ESTAs (early 2018) without middle names.
Actually...

Hope that works and the image is readable. I’m doing this from a phone. The image is taken from the following thread - scroll down to Mole83’s post:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1111729

The above reply from CBP states that the application *must* match the machine readable part of the passport. If it doesn’t then it states that you should cancel the ESTA and take out a new ESTA providing the correct info.

However, as already mentioned, as far as I’m aware no one has been turned away due to this specific issue.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 28 May 19, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Thorpy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
Hi Thorpy, indeed, much of what I researched was interesting. Whilst first name aware, it appears (bar pp upload during application) the US are unaware of full given names until OLCI/airport check-in, when pp number/doc match occurs. Do you remember the couple (she was a Dibber) who, circa 72 hours afore their flight, had an email to say ESTA was rescinded? It transpired the airline sent held API to the US, his pp flagged an error, ESTA rescinded. They were unable to discover why as the US was on Gov shut down. They nipped off elsewhere, upon return to the UK the officer pointed out his pp had been cancelled! Apparently the UK pp office had mistakenly cancelled his pp, they duly replaced and covered all expenses against their missed US holiday.

Whilst the airline close check-in circa an hour afore push back to allow baggage load et al., send all API to the US which allows for any discrepancy flag, giving enough time if any pax have to be removed.

No, it wouldn't have stopped all, as harsh as it may read, from a US angle being irritable/blaming them for personal shortcomings of not fully reading the application won't wash with the DHS/CBP. From my experience it's black and white to them, if the puter flags a discrepancy leading to ESTA rescind, it will be done (remember Sanford 2012, thousands flagged as over-stayers, ESTA denied).
The first example rings a bell and paints a number of possible scenarios of how it will work behind the scenes. Do you recall when the actual passport cancellation happened as that would probably give clues as to what gets checked and when.

The Sanford scenario I remember well, as we used it around that time...and I remember the panic, unaffected luckily !
Old 28 May 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Thorpy View Post
The first example rings a bell and paints a number of possible scenarios of how it will work behind the scenes. Do you recall when the actual passport cancellation happened as that would probably give clues as to what gets checked and when.

The Sanford scenario I remember well, as we used it around that time...and I remember the panic, unaffected luckily !
Hi Thorpy, can't remember if the lass mentioned cancellation date, I remember the pp office admitted they'd mistakenly cancelled, hence the US rescinding his ESTA upon receipt of API.

Aye, Nov 2012, at MCO, when an IO oversight set the ball rolling that flagged me a 61 day overstayer after leaving in April 2013!
Old 28 May 19, 07:22 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

It's even more confusing when you take the ESTA in French

under the diagram, it says at 3)
3) Premier Prénom
Tapez votre premier prénom tel qu'il figure dans la zone lisible en machine de votre passeport.
I'll give it to you in English so you may understand how confusing it is
Premier means First (think premier league, lol)
and Prénom means First (given) name

so it reads :
First, First name
Type in your first, first name as displayed on the machine readable zone of your passport

see, it's even more confusing than the lack of an "s" after "name" on the English application form. On the French form, it does say that we should only enter the first, first name on the first name field.

I'm quite sure that it's a translation issue, especially as hovering on the ? does say that if more than one name or first name are present, they all should be included; but, still, it adds to the confusion

now, we go in 2 months, ESTA still valid until october, I'm still pondering wether to renew early or not.
I'm pretty sure we'd be fine with the first, first names only (we all have 3, like most french people do) but I'm on the better safe than sorry side, especially for $14 a piece.
but I'm still undecided.

And the reports above that the issue has been ongoing for months, and people still get away with not putting all their names in ... this doesn't help building a consensus.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 07:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Burgmeister
Imagineer

Burgmeister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Actually...

Hope that works and the image is readable. I’m doing this from a phone. The image is taken from the following thread - scroll down to Mole83’s post:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1111729

The above reply from CBP states that the application *must* match the machine readable part of the passport. If it doesn’t then it states that you should cancel the ESTA and take out a new ESTA providing the correct info.

However, as already mentioned, as far as I’m aware no one has been turned away due to this specific issue.
OK, but that still doesn't say that entry will be denied. I have seen 2 CBP responses (that, admittedly, I can't find now ) that have stated that having a missing middle name may lead to a delay - not refusal of entry.

But, as I said earlier, people must do whatever they think best.

Edited at 07:40 PM.
Burgmeister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 May 19, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
OK, but that still doesn't say that entry will be denied. I have seen 2 CBP responses (that, admittedly, I can't find now ) that have stated that having a missing middle name may lead to a delay - not refusal of entry.

But, as I said earlier, people must do whatever they think best.
Yes, as I mentioned before, it might delay things but there’s no evidence that it will prevent entry.

However I just thought I’d post an official response to the question.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 28 May 19, 08:40 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Yes, as I mentioned before, it might delay things but there’s no evidence that it will prevent entry.

However I just thought I’d post an official response to the question.
Personally I think the above is what will happen.

Theer is no way in this world they will deny entry because of a middle name. Maybe just a few minutes delay. And this is even if there is a load of publicity.

It isn't in their interests to deny entry to tens or hundreds of thousands of people. If fact in reality they won't even delay them as that would cause chaos given the numbers that will have estas with no middle name.

And still no one can detail when this change was introduced. Is it October? So we don't even know if our estas are valid or not.

Mine was done in early September 2018 with no middle name - is it valid or not?
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List