Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Closed Thread

Old 23 Feb 10, 12:38 PM  
Link to this Post
tracytom
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by tinkerbell1986 View Post
When we first said we would be getting married abroad when the time came, almost everyone (except my family and our closest friends) tried to talk us out of it. Told us what an awful idea it would be. How would people get there? Why on earth would be want to do that? etc etc

But it is what we have always wanted and it is our wedding, our marriage and our money so we are going to do it exactly how we want to! Sod everyone else lol
It sounds harsh but thats how we feel, when DP first proposed
(9 years ago, and before we had kids) we did start planning a wedding in this country, but people very quickly started saying what we should and should not have, and who we should and should not invite.
It just was not what we wanted.
But like I said some people just can not seem to accept it and will not even talk about an event which to me is very exciting. one thing is for sure its made me realise that some family members are only happy if you make the choices they want you to make
Old 23 Feb 10, 12:41 PM  
Link to this Post
kaboomba
Imagineer

my dad passed away about 6 years ago now so it will be my wee brother thas giving me away!
kaboomba is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 10, 01:09 PM  
Link to this Post

My dad died when I was 7 so my Brother is giving me away.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 10, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post

Like you I was not in contact with my Dad, but following a terminal diagnosis we made up and Dad was going to give me away, unfortunately he died 7 weeks before my wedding so my Mum gave me away and my Uncle did the speech and dedicated it to my Dad. It was lovely and my Mum was so proud to walk with me down the Isle, as I was to have her by my side. Good luck with your choices.
Old 23 Feb 10, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Leanne1977 View Post
This has been something thats been on my mind a fair bit recently. When I first told my parents we were getting married they said congratulations and that was pretty much it. That was a few months back now and they haven't mentioned a word about it since. My mum doesn't even know I have my dress, or that we have changed from the cruise wedding to Vero Beach, they are just not interested. I try to kid myself that I'm not bothered as they have always been pretty much disinterested in anyting I do. But I was kind of hopeful that they would show some interest in my big day. I am putting a bit of a brave face on but it is upsetting me.
The first thing that DH2B's parents did when we told them was ask if they could come. I'm really happy that they will be there. But even though my dad could give me away if he wanted to, I would feel bad letting my FIL do it.

So I think that my eldest DS will walk me down the sand.
Originally Posted by tinkerbell1986 View Post
Awww Leanne, families can be so hurtful.
OH's family kind of said "thanks but I don't think it is my kind of thing". They've all made financial excuses but they are all fairly well off. Even his mom and dad aren't coming, and both have said it is due to finances. But his dad is planning to tour the States in May and his mom is having a big luxury 5* all inclusive type holiday to Cypress in the summer! IMO they could have sacrificed their holidays to come to Florida, see their eldest son get married and had a bit of a holiday as well!
OH never lets on he's that bothered but I know inside it bothers him more than he says and it definitely bothers me!

Oh no I'm so sorry. Having children yourself it's hard to understand how parents can be like this

Originally Posted by col2501 View Post
My brother is giving me away as my Dad passed away 21 years ago - I'm going to have a small photograph of Dad pinned to the stem my boquet though, so he does get to walk down the aisle with me on some level!

This is a lovely idea and I think I will do this myself.
There is nothing more in the world I would love for my wedding day than for my Dad to be there to give me away, he would of been so proud. Unfortunately he died 7 years ago so I was hoping my older brother would do it (he's 20 years older than me), but I have a gut feeling he isn't going to come so my nephew will do it.
Mum won't be there either because she has Alzheimers and I don't talk about it in front of her. Although she would forget anyway I just don't feel comfortable disscussing it knowing she won't be able to come
I was going to take a photo of mum and dad and place it in the front row, but I think your idea is better
Old 23 Feb 10, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
DIBBadmin
Imagineer

This thread has been automatically closed as it has not been posted on in 365 days.
DIBBadmin is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Closed Thread