Reports and Reviews for Dining and Restaurants Trip Reports

Old 28 Feb 12, 09:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
This is my last one for this evening! Day 5 was a non-Disney day which we spent at IOA.
Breakfast was a bagel for me and a danish pastry for Marie from Goods to Go. No photos.
We both got a butterbeer mid-morning from WWOHP which was really refreshing in that heat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	florida 2011 270.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	38440

We'd done everything we wanted by lunchtime and decided to go shopping in the afternoon so had lunch in the food court at Premium Outlets. I've no recollection of what I had!

We were exhausted by dinner time so went to Goods to Go on the way home and got a take away. I got the burger again and Marie got chicken nuggets. I'm a big fan of Disney burgers and really enjoyed this. The chicken nuggets were also nice. Dessert was carrot cake for both of us which I think I actually ate this time! It's nice enough if you eat it that day but as I said before it dries out if you don't.

Chicken nuggets

Name:	florida 2011 274.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	38441

Burger

Name:	florida 2011 276.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	38442

Dessert

Name:	florida 2011 275.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	38443
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 12, 10:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Ycryan
Imagineer

Ycryan's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 34
Great report, looking forward to reading some more.
Old 28 Feb 12, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
happy bunny
Imagineer

happy bunny's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
Good report

I look forward to reading the next installment
Old 29 Feb 12, 12:39 AM  
Link to this Post
Andi
VIP Dibber

Great report, look forward to reading more.

DVC - Animal Kingdom Lodge

International Drive 2002, All Star Movies 2005, Renaissance at Seaworld 2008, Rosen Plaza & POFQ 2010, Saratoga Springs Resort 2012, Hotel New York DLP 2013, Rosen Plaza and Old Key West 2014, AKL, BLT & SSR July 2015, Crowne Plaza NYC, AKL, Cabana Bay, AKL Nov 2017, Crowne Plaza NYC April 2018, Rosen Plaza, AKL and GFV August 2018, Australia Nov 2018, RCI Cruise August 2019, Rosen Plaza, Pop Century August 2022
Andi is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 12, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Connies Mummy
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Yum, loving your report looking forward to the rest!
Connies Mummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 12, 11:36 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Thanks for all the positive comments! I'm supposed to be writing my dissertation but I thought I'd sneak in another day!

Day 6 was another non-Disney day as we went to Seaworld. Breakfast was a muffin at Goods to Go - no pics. Lunch was at Seaworld (remind me to never do that again!). I had pasta with (I think) an alfredo sauce and Marie had chicken caeser salad. We shared a portion of fries and had chocolate pudding for dessert. It was just awful. The fries were ok but the pasta was bland. I think Maries caesar salad was ok. The pudding was pretty bad too. We normally do Seaworld in a morning, get the free 2nd day and go back and do what we missed so we're not normally there for lunch and probably won't be again. I don't remember it being this bad before! The day however was fab as that was the day we had the penguin encounter which I highly recommend!

Name:	florida 2011 306.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	38444

Dinner was at Cookes of Dublin. I'd really fancied trying this place for a wee change and I was really looking forward to having a "chippy" for tea. Unfortinately it was nothing at all like our fish suppers at home. Marie had the "Irish" sausage which having tasted real Irish sausage many times (my brother lives there) was nothing like the real thing. It also didn't seem to be batter that was coating it. I'm not sure what it was! The fish was just ok and the chips weren't great either. This was one of the places we hadn't been before and I was really disappointed. We didn't fancy any of the desserts so got a cookie again.

Fish & chips

Name:	florida 2011 320.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	38445

Sausage & chips

Name:	florida 2011 321.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	38446

I know it sounds mad considering we were on DDP but we bought an Oreo Cookies & Cream pie from Walmart and had that for dessert a couple of nights. I discovered this many years ago when Denny's did it for a while and then found it in the supermarket!

Name:	florida 2011 322.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	38447
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 12, 12:17 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Ok so I should be studying but I decided it was my moral duty to do day 7 as a warning to other diners!

Breakfast was fab. This was our "day off" so we had a long lie and went to Wolfgang Pucks Express for breakfast. We both had the Belgian waffle although I had wanted the cornflake French toast which was sold out. The waffle as always was great but I could've used more cream!

Name:	florida 2011 323.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	38448

Lunch was back at DTD and this is where the warning comes in. Have you ever seen the episode of Friends where Phoebe on tasting "mocklate" says "This is what evil must taste like"? Well Phoebe clearly hadn't eaten at Pollo Campero. We hadn't seen any reviews on here so we thought we'd give it a try. It's fairly confusing when you go in. There are three serving stations but only one seemed to be open which was serving fried chicken. We had actually wanted a burger but couldn't see any and no-one was serving there. We were starved so decided to go for it (oh how I wish we'd just suffered the hunger and made it to WPE!). I had the signature fried chicken and Marie had the chicken strips both with fries. There was also a salsa bar and they gave you small tortilla wraps for this. Dessert was from the Babycakes shop inside so I got a carrot cake cupcake and Marie got chocolate.
Firstly the chicken. The coating was greasy and didn't even come close to KFC. The chicken was just chicken so no major complaints there. The chips were fine.
The tortilla wraps were one of the worst things I've ever tasted so we didn't bother with the salsa bar.
The cupcakes were so bad that my reflex was to spit it out. Honestly I've never experienced that before! I really had to concentrate on being polite and swallowing it! I think maybe they were made from mocklate!

Fried chicken

Name:	florida 2011 332.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	38449

Chicken strips

Name:	florida 2011 334.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	38450

Cupcakes

Name:	florida 2011 333.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	38451

Dinner thankfully more than made up for lunch! We had a reservation at Chef de France which was another new one for us. I decided to be boring and go for the filet steak and was so glad I did. It came with a pepper sauce and a potato gratin. Cooked exactly how I wanted and just lovely. Marie is a mac & cheese fan so decided on the gratin de macaroni which was made with Gruyere cheese. Unfortunately she found it a bit bland and other than the cheese grilled on the top it just wasn't "cheesy" enough. She regretted not going for the filet and we both wished we'd booked this one twice. Dessert for both of us was the crepe as we were full and wanted something light. It was gorgeous!

lovely French bread!

Name:	florida 2011 352.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	38452

filet steak

Name:	florida 2011 353.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	38453

gratin de macaroni

Name:	florida 2011 354.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	38454

crepe

Name:	florida 2011 355.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	38455

Ok really need to get back to this essay!
Old 29 Feb 12, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post

I’m so pleased you’ve got round to posting your pics.

Good to see a favourable report on Nine Dragons. We’ve had some lovely meals there in the past. The portions shrunk quite a bit when they changed the menu, but from your photos it looks like they’ve increased them again. I wish they’d put a couple of decent veggie dishes on the menu - we’d be back in a flash!

I’ve never been to Cookes of Dublin. It’s usually on my list, but I never get round to it for some reason. Shame your food didn’t live up to expectations. It actually looks really nice in your pics.

Liberty Tree Tavern has been calling my name recently. I haven’t eaten there in ages but I’ve been reading quite a few good reports like yours of late. Time to go back maybe?

Your meal at Chefs looks rather delicious too! Hungry now!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 12, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Originally Posted by mcsue View Post
I’m so pleased you’ve got round to posting your pics.

Good to see a favourable report on Nine Dragons. We’ve had some lovely meals there in the past. The portions shrunk quite a bit when they changed the menu, but from your photos it looks like they’ve increased them again. I wish they’d put a couple of decent veggie dishes on the menu - we’d be back in a flash!

I’ve never been to Cookes of Dublin. It’s usually on my list, but I never get round to it for some reason. Shame your food didn’t live up to expectations. It actually looks really nice in your pics.

Liberty Tree Tavern has been calling my name recently. I haven’t eaten there in ages but I’ve been reading quite a few good reports like yours of late. Time to go back maybe?

Your meal at Chefs looks rather delicious too! Hungry now!
I suppose the thing about a food report is it's subjective. The food at Cookes wasn't bad as such, just not to our taste.

One of the things I love about LTT is it's location. We've been there a few times now prior to MVMCP/MNSSHP and you're in the centre of it when you come out. I'm not sure what they do for veggies though with the dinner being mainly meat. I'm sure being Disney they'd offer something?
Old 29 Feb 12, 02:40 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Not getting anywhere with this essay but I've got to stop for lunch haven't I?

Day 8 started out at US and ended at DHS. Believe it or not we forgot to stop at Goods on the way out for brekkie so went to the San Fransisco Pastry Co in US for a snack. I had the choc chip muffin and Marie another Danish pastry. They were nice enough and filled a hole.

Name:	florida 2011 356.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	38457

Lunch was also in US at Mel's Diner. We both had the burger which was just alright. I did what I always do and bought onion rings that I didn't have room for however I put a couple on the burger to liven it up.

Name:	florida 2011 364.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	38458

This was our Fantasmic night so we'd booked the package at Hollywood & Vine (before they decided to have it on every night). I know it gets slated but I like H&V. The food was good as usual. My only criticism would be that our server seemed to be juggling too many tables. I've included photos although as I said before sometimes buffet photos don't look too appetising! The bottom one is desserts!

Name:	florida 2011 368.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	38459

Name:	florida 2011 369.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	38460