Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 30 Sep 19, 07:54 PM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

Mobile How do you do hand luggage only?

With regards to toiletries / razor etc

Can we take a small bag as well as a wheelie case?

I think I might be able to do hand luggage only on the way out and buy a bag to add onto the return.

Will be KLM /Delta and then BA /AA
sotagals is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MadHatter1
VIP Dibber

MadHatter1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Yes you can take one laptop bag or handbag as well as your suitcase.

You can pack a normal razor but toiletries only small I think 100mls so miniatures for the first night but you will need to shop while you are there.

Just remember to check the weight as well as the size, but we travel hand luggage only everywhere and never find it a problem.
2017 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - The Return of Three Jedi
2018 Rosen Inn at Pointe (Int. Dr.), HRH (Uni)>. > - Rogue One
2019 Port Orleans French Quarter (WDW)>. > - 12 Parsecs
MadHatter1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
aqualiv
Imagineer

We are planning on having hand luggage only on our next trip
I’m buying travel size everything and we have a washing machine so see how we get on
aqualiv is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We have done a few hand luggage only holidays ( not Florida) I have purchased toiletries, sun cream etc online from Boots. You order about a week before and just collect your order once you are airside. Leave a bit of room in your cabin case to put them in. Watch your weight, I was a little over my weight allowance this year but bag was not weighed anyway.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 08:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
We've done hand luggage only to a few places, but never Florida. I'm seriously thinking of doing it next summer though. The laundry at the resorts is so easy and cheap so it's no bother to use when we're in the pool.

That's a good tip to buy larger toiletries we get airside after going through security. I was thinking of picking stuff up once out there. But sometimes it's nicer to have your own sun cream etc. I'd maybe worry about going over the weight allowance though. Hmm, decisions. I've got 10 months to decide yet, so will do some more pondering.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
Imagineer

Take less stuff

But in seriousness, there's 4 of us so 4 clear bags and taking enough travel size toiletries for the first few days isn't a problem. We do a walmart shop for suncreams, shampoos, shave foams etc and dh just uses disposable razors.

With BA/AA there's no limit on hand luggage weight (well technically there is, but not sure quite what you'd pack to weigh more than 23kgs!). You can also have a 'personal item' which fits under the seat with all the stuff for the flight, although we hang the from the tray table. DH takes a folding holdall and then unfolds it on arrival and all travel hoodies/fleeces and small bags are chucked in for convenience. Then we fill it with booty on the way back.

We travel around a bit and do occasional laundry - I can't be hauling a 4 dozen pairs of dirty pants around - it's insane and just .
We also take a lot of 'extras' like a feather pillow, fleece blanket (has been used as a towel, picnic mat, beach, sarong, changing screen, keeps sandy kids off the car seats and occasional blanket!). Also usually have about 1.5kg of biscuits & choc for family gifts.

I really wonder how people manage to fill a case with 23kg of necessary stuff, as well as a bit of hand baggage - why would a family of four need over 100kg of stuff for a 14 day holiday?

ETA - the expandable bag we use only costs about a tenner from wilkos, and iirc is 32" unzipped, and is wheeled.

Edited at 08:49 PM.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
justus2again
Imagineer

This may will be our first time with only hand luggage we will buy from walmart on arrival i think with all the years of luggage allowance dwindling it is quite easy to do now and we will buy an extra case for all the goodies coming home i really don't know how we used to fill our cases in the early years of 6o kg each allowance.
2005 southern dunes 2007 legacy park 2007 southern dunes 2008 lake Wilson 2009 southern dunes 2010 Hampton lakes 2011 greater groves 2012 Windsor palms 2013 southern dunes 2014 vista park 2015 villa Lindfields 2016 west haven villa 2017 acorn villa 2018 villa silver creek 2019 champions gate 2020 2021 the years of no go 2022 all booked for this year
justus2again is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Double check dimensions of hand luggage, when travelling multi airlines we always go with the smallest allowance and live within that.

Last year did BA AA. Had to check in a BA hand luggage price on the AA leg. Wasn't happy.

I think Delta (esp if delta connect) is likely to be the smallest. The size of the second bag changes too.

We try and stick to the smallest and have only had it removed twice to go in hold - but the send time we had left the expandable zip open in a bid to sneak more it. AA spotted it.

So, we are good. I then get super hacked off when you get in the plane and so you domestic passengers carrying huge quantities of luggage or a 15 tonne elephant and nonchalantly strolling on the plane and ramming it in the overheads. Grrrr.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Smilesonfaces View Post
We have done a few hand luggage only holidays ( not Florida) I have purchased toiletries, sun cream etc online from Boots. You order about a week before and just collect your order once you are airside. Leave a bit of room in your cabin case to put them in. Watch your weight, I was a little over my weight allowance this year but bag was not weighed anyway.
Be careful of this if you are not flying direct and need to go through security a second time.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Sep 19, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

We did hand luggage only for a 3 week vacation involving Boston, NY, Dayton OH, Orlando, Naples, Miami. During this, we had 8 different accommodations. It worked brilliantly as we had washing and drying facilities at several points.

I would now do it this way every time. It was awesome on 3 of the 4 flights to walk past the baggage carousel and out before it had even started moving.. and the savings were considerable.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List