Notices
TV and Film This forum is for those DIBB members that want to discuss TV and Films.

Old 11 Nov 19, 08:19 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

His Dark Materials

Is anyone else watching? What do you think?

I’m a huge fan of the books, and whilst not completely faithful, I’ve enjoyed the first two episodes of the TV show, and looking forward to the rest.

I think James McAvoy as Lord Asriel is particularly good casting, he’s just how I pictured him when reading the books.
Old 12 Nov 19, 12:36 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve watched the first episode and loved it! My son is a big fan of the books and we’ve watched The Golden Compass a few times so we’re really looking forward to the rest and the following series!
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 03:03 AM  
Link to this Post
Pagan8c
Getting Excited

We are getting into it too but have never read the books so it is all new to us. Slightly confusing at first but starting to understand it. We also enjoy the World on Fire drama after but it has just ended this series so looking forward to the next. The animals are amazing and so realistic.

Edited at 03:04 AM.
Pagan8c is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 08:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

What channel is this on? I have some how not heard of it lol
We only have normal TV & Netflix though
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Floridatilly View Post
What channel is this on? I have some how not heard of it lol
We only have normal TV & Netflix though
BBC 1 on a Sunday night after Strictly results show.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Nov 19, 09:01 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by laurad107 View Post
We’ve not read the books but I was thinking of watching with my kids aged 8 and 10. Do you think it’s suitable? They’ve watched all the Harry Potter films (which I think get quite dark in the end) and all the marvel films etc but I’ve not let them watch stranger things.
As a fantasy series, yes, very appealing and ok for younger kids, they do not play on the violence too much so far - unlike parts of the books.

The deeper themes may go over their heads, I find some of the premise of the story (of the first book certainly) to be horrid - as an adult. Some of the later stuff in the books goes on a bit and I presume (hope) the series will streamline things a bit.

Would say the books are probably 11+, but the BBC series - so far - is fine for 8/10 if they have watched HP. (in my opinion)
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
skalexander
Imagineer

Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
As a fantasy series, yes, very appealing and ok for younger kids, they do not play on the violence too much so far - unlike parts of the books.

The deeper themes may go over their heads, I find some of the premise of the story (of the first book certainly) to be horrid - as an adult. Some of the later stuff in the books goes on a bit and I presume (hope) the series will streamline things a bit.

Would say the books are probably 11+, but the BBC series - so far - is fine for 8/10 if they have watched HP. (in my opinion)
I agree with this. I definitely did not fully appreciate the story as an early teen, when I first read the books, but I enjoyed them all the same.

I hope they do actually see the series through. Obviously the films stopped after the first one, although that was probably because it was awful (certainly as a fan of the books).
Old 13 Nov 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridadreams
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by skalexander View Post
I agree with this. I definitely did not fully appreciate the story as an early teen, when I first read the books, but I enjoyed them all the same.

I hope they do actually see the series through. Obviously the films stopped after the first one, although that was probably because it was awful (certainly as a fan of the books).
Apparently they were stopped because of protests in America against the studios from bible groups!
I’ve heard they’re already filming series 2 so it’s hopeful they will do all three
Floridadreams is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Nov 19, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DFussy
Very Serious Dibber

My dd read the books when in yr 4 so age 8/9. After the first book it does touch on lyra going into puberty, starting to have feelings for a boy in the story line. It was not too grown up though. Really enjoying this dramatisation.
DFussy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Nov 19, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I haven't read the books nor seen the film but am watching this.

It seems a little confusing at times, and slow going (sort of?), but there are some interesting bits and the CGI animals are very well done.

Originally Posted by laurad107 View Post
We’ve not read the books but I was thinking of watching with my kids aged 8 and 10. Do you think it’s suitable? They’ve watched all the Harry Potter films (which I think get quite dark in the end) and all the marvel films etc but I’ve not let them watch stranger things.
Yes, it's certainly suitable for them. It's less dark than the Harry Potter films. It's similar to the old children's dramas that used to be on BBC around 5pm (eg. Box of Delights and the Chronicles Of Narnia TV series).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List