Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 18 Sep 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

What are the hardest resorts to book?

Just wondering if anyone knows this? Wondering what the hardest resorts to book within the 7 month window are? Studios, 1 & 2 beds are the types I'm interested in. Whenever I have looked at GFV there never seems to be any availability so that resort seems particularly difficult.

What other resorts seem to be limited?
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:06 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Copper Creek, it's a disaster on the studios in particular. Yesterday an owner was locked out at 11 months for mid August (quiet DVC time). I didn't believe it until I checked myself. Too few studios, too many points on cabins. I did predict it would get really bad, but I never envisaged it this bad. Owners will have to be walking there to get studios, otherwise having to scramble around at 7 months.
There will be a lot of unhappy owners there...
Even 1 beds seem to go quick there, although being locked out if them at 11 months is much less likely.
In terms of other resorts, I only really look at 1 bed availability and there's always plenty of choices at 7 months on the dot. For example last summer I did a 1 bed at Boardwalk, 1 bed at Kidani, and Xmas im doing 1 bed at Beach and 1 bed at Bay Lake (I split on 10+ day trips).
Look at Skier Petes 2019 charts on the other board.
Difficult 1 beds at 7 months seem to be BLT standard (or any BLT at Xmas), Boardwalk Boardwalk, AKV value (albeit I could have booked last year) and concierge.
Much more availability in everything usually mid Jan to Mid September, excluding holidays.
If you want to be able to sleep around resorts at 7 months, you'll always have much more 1 bed choice than studios.
You mention VGF- I haven't stayed as it's too points intensive, but outside fall frenzy its always been available in1 beds.when I've checked.

Edited at 10:14 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:15 AM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Copper Creek, it's a disaster on the studios in particular. Yesterday an owner was locked out at 11 months for mid August (quiet DVC time). I didn't believe it until I checked myself. Too few studios, too many points on cabins. I did predict it would get really bad, but I never envisaged it this bad. Owners will have to be walking there to get studios, otherwise having to scramble around at 7 months.
There will be a lot of unhappy owners there...
Even 1 beds seem to go quick there, although being locked out if them at 11 months is much less likely.
In terms of other resorts, I only really look at 1 bed availability and there's always plenty of choices at 7 months on the dot. For example last summer I did a 1 bed at Boardwalk, 1 bed at Kidani, and Xmas im doing 1 bed at Beach and 1 bed at Bay Lake (I split on 10+ day trips).
Look at Skier Petes 2019 charts on the other board.
Difficult 1 beds at 7 months seem to be BLT standard (or any BLT at Xmas), Boardwalk Boardwalk, AKV value (albeit I could have booked last year) and concierge.
Much more availability in everything usually mid Jan to Mid September, excluding holidays.
If you want to be able to sleep around resorts at 7 months, you'll always have much more 1 bed choice than studios.
We're owners at CCV so I hope we don't encounter these problems. I booked a 2 bed for 12 nights this past trip with no issues but that could have been a one off.

Not sure if it's better to buy a resort that is difficult to book or not, I suppose there's pros and cons because even if it's your home it doesn't mean you'll get it at 11 months (depending on the resort obviously)
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Yep I was amazed with this story yesterday- didn't believe it until I checked, she was only a few days into the 11 month window. Fall Frenzy or Xmas looks like it will need walking to me so if you are going then, get that in your plans if you are after a studio. 1 and 2 beds you'll likely be OK booking near the 11 month window.
Looking now at availability from 18 April- so can book at 1pm. There's tons. Some studios have 17th gone, meaning it will be a scramble at 1pm. However most 1 beds are open days before the 18th which means they will be easy to book at 1pm. This includes BLT standard, VGF etc.

Edited at 10:24 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Sep 19, 10:34 AM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Yep I was amazed with this story yesterday- didn't believe it until I checked, she was only a few days into the 11 month window. Fall Frenzy or Xmas looks like it will need walking to me so if you are going then, get that in your plans if you are after a studio. 1 and 2 beds you'll likely be OK booking near the 11 month window.
Looking now at availability from 18 April- so can book at 1pm. There's tons. Some studios have 17th gone, meaning it will be a scramble at 1pm. However most 1 beds are open days before the 18th which means they will be easy to book at 1pm. This includes BLT standard, VGF etc.
Hopefully she just got unlucky The problem for us is that we want at least a 10 night booking usually, Americans only come for a couple of nights so if they're having trouble booking that small amount of time there's no hope for us!

I'm going to have a look now.
Old 19 Sep 19, 12:55 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

For studios the hardest are BC, VGF and CC. They're small resorts with limited numbers of studios. The CC thing is crazy.

In general you're also going to struggle to get any 'Value'/'Standard' accommodation at any resort without being an owner unless you're lucky.

1 beds seem to be the last to go everywhere.
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Sep 19, 01:24 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

We have struggled at Boardwalk during the height of food and wine before as American owners book out the weekends so hard to get a consecutive long stay but I'm looking now for next August and that resort is wide open for any room for the summer 6 weeks which I've never seen before at 11months. We have visited end August for a few years now and at the 7 month window have been able to swap some days to other resorts when we wanted in a 1 bed so they do seem easier to come by.

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

1 beds are miles easier to come by dippie- a different kettle of fish altogether.
Old 23 Sep 19, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
act1980
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Why is it that one beds are the easiest? Is it because they sleep the same number of people as a studio so it’s not deemed a good use of points?
Old 23 Sep 19, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by act1980 View Post
Why is it that one beds are the easiest? Is it because they sleep the same number of people as a studio so it’s not deemed a good use of points?
DVC is expensive. The buyers are also 'value seekers' (hence low point times are ironically now the busiest times).
Spending twice the points for the same number of nights is not as popular, so 1 beds go much, much slower and you generally have lots of choice at 7 months.
This is why anyone buying in at a v expensive resort, should always consider buying twice the points at a cheaper resort if they want to get 7 month bookings. Dues are higher though of course.