Notices
General DVC Discussion For discussion on how the DVC works and resort information.

Old 1 Oct 19, 12:49 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile Can someone talk me through my Use year options please!

Hi all,

I’ve got myself a bit confused when it comes to my UY and cancelling bookings - please could someone explain my options to me please!

I have a Dec UY & am planning a big family trip for December 2020.

As it’s for extended family for a birthday celebration, I want to treat them to some ‘free’ nights onsite. It’s all good, but one of the rooms I m booking at 11 months out might end up needing to be cancelled if the couple can’t make it.

They would know by June next year, and I know my banking window is July for my UY, but I get confused when it comes to cancellations (as I’ve never cancelled anything before!)

As long as I book their accommodation with current years points, if they are unable to come and as long as they let me know by June, am I ok to cancel their room and just bank the extra points? Or is there a problem doing that?

Sorry for being thick - I do get confused with the UY business! 🙂
amy56 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 01:10 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Hi amy56,

If the trip you're cancelling is in December then you're fine to cancel in June and bank them in July. Its only cancellations less than 31 days in advance of travel that will put the points into holding
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by LadyDebs86 View Post
Hi amy56,

If the trip you're cancelling is in December then you're fine to cancel in June and bank them in July. Its only cancellations less than 31 days in advance of travel that will put the points into holding
Thank you ever so much - that’s a big relief 👍
amy56 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Oct 19, 01:47 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

One more question if I may! 😊

I know lots of people seemed to walk their bookings for Christmas this year, and seemingly for quite a while before the booking for popular rooms.

Again, because of my Dec UY, that seems to be working against me as well. (Unless of course I’m confused there too! )

Am I right in thinking that I could only start walking reservations with a booking from 1st Dec 2020 (so start walking on 1st Jan 2020 for my 11 month window), as before then due to my ‘new points’ not dropping in until1st Dec, I’d be stuck with a banking/borrowing issue before then?

That’s how someone on ‘the other board’ explained it to me before, but I just wanted to check I’ve understood that part correctly too?!

Sorry this seems more complicated to me than I’m sure it is! 😂
Old 2 Oct 19, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by amy56 View Post
One more question if I may! 😊

I know lots of people seemed to walk their bookings for Christmas this year, and seemingly for quite a while before the booking for popular rooms.

Again, because of my Dec UY, that seems to be working against me as well. (Unless of course I’m confused there too! )

Am I right in thinking that I could only start walking reservations with a booking from 1st Dec 2020 (so start walking on 1st Jan 2020 for my 11 month window), as before then due to my ‘new points’ not dropping in until1st Dec, I’d be stuck with a banking/borrowing issue before then?

That’s how someone on ‘the other board’ explained it to me before, but I just wanted to check I’ve understood that part correctly too?!

Sorry this seems more complicated to me than I’m sure it is! 😂
Hi,

No it wouldnt cause an issue. Your use year has no impact on when you can actually make the booking, only on when the booking is. So if you're wanting to walk you can do that as soon as your 11 month window opens.
LadyDebs86 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 03:29 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by LadyDebs86 View Post
Hi,

No it wouldnt cause an issue. Your use year has no impact on when you can actually make the booking, only on when the booking is. So if you're wanting to walk you can do that as soon as your 11 month window opens.
Are you sure?

In my example - I know that people started walking value rooms at AKV as early as September/October last year (and looking recently the rooms I like look to be constantly booked at the 11 month mark) . But if I managed to grab an opening for vacation dates in , say mid November, then started walking the booking towards Christmas, because my Use year is December, I was told that I can’t walk the reservation from 30/11 to 1/12 because I’d in effect be changing the points I was using - ie the current years points would then need to be banked and that wouldn’t be possible due to them already being used for the reservation - unless I cancelled the booking, but the ‘other boards’ said that it would be nigh on impossible to grab the reservation again as someone else would be waiting to swoop in for those rooms?

If that’s not the case then I’d be thrilled👍, but they seemed so convinced It wouldn’t work ☹️
Old 2 Oct 19, 04:03 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
OP yes I think you are right that due to the date of the actual reservation you want you could only walk the reservation from the 1st of December as you need points to be in that year (either from banking or because you can't borrow then put the points back into their original year).

That being said I have never walked a reservation by more than a few days. To do it for months would be soul destroying.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Oct 19, 04:52 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by vhm672 View Post
OP yes I think you are right that due to the date of the actual reservation you want you could only walk the reservation from the 1st of December as you need points to be in that year (either from banking or because you can't borrow then put the points back into their original year).

That being said I have never walked a reservation by more than a few days. To do it for months would be soul destroying.
Thank you - I sadly thought that would be the case, as it seemed to make sense ☹️

I don’t remotely want to walk for any period of time really, but it seems that it’s become such the norm now for certain rooms, that unless Disney somehow stops the practice, it looks to be the only way to get particular reservations.

But due to wanting a Christmas reservation and having a Dec UY, it looks like I will have to rule out certain rooms at my home resort as I can’t ‘compete’ in the walking race until too late in the game ☹️
Old 2 Oct 19, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
LadyDebs86
VIP Dibber

Oh I’m with you now. Sorry. So you’d be walking your reservation from one use year to the next. So yes you wouldn’t be able to.

Sorry for being misleading. I should learn to read.
Old 2 Oct 19, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

Gosh, this infuriated me (owning at the same home resort as you’re talking about Amy!)