Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 4 Nov 19, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
kraftikris
VIP Dibber

kraftikris's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
OK, so I booked with Alamo via Auto Europe, linked with Alamo and completed online check in, at this stage I usually get the confirmation and link to Skip the Counter, not this time though, I have tried every link I can to do it, but there is nothing, the confirmation and booking information just says 'Take the elevator down to the first level Alamo is located in the middle of the first floor. Please proceed to the Alamo counter to obtain your rental agreement and vehicle keys', this is exactly what I don't want, I printed off the online check in/booking info, it does have a barcode at the top, but it look nothing like when you do Skip the Counter (StC)? anyone had this before? and would the bar code be the same as if I had done StC?
2003 - 25th Wedding anniv. St Lucia, 2004 - Quality Inn Kissimmee
2006 - Bahama Bay Davenport
2007,2008 and 2010 Nov, Windwood Bay
May 2009 Ballys, Las Vegas
Nov 2012 Lindfields Villa.
Nov 2011, 2013. 2014 & 2015 2016, 2017, 2018, Terrace Ridge
Nov 2019 Grand Reserve, 2022 The Manors at Westridge

Edited at 10:11 AM.
kraftikris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
irvin38a
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by kraftikris View Post
OK, so I booked with Alamo via Auto Europe, linked with Alamo and completed online check in, at this stage I usually get the confirmation and link to Skip the Counter, not this time though, I have tried every link I can to do it, but there is nothing, the confirmation and booking information just says 'Take the elevator down to the first level Alamo is located in the middle of the first floor. Please proceed to the Alamo counter to obtain your rental agreement and vehicle keys', this is exactly what I don't want, I printed off the online check in/booking info, it does have a barcode at the top, but it look nothing like when you do Skip the Counter (StC)? anyone had this before? and would the bar code be the same as if I had done StC?
To get the straight to garage at Alamo you

Book car hire

Check in on Alamo website using the voucher code on booking email.

Whilst that is still open on the screen open a new tab and google Alamo skip the counter

Click the link. All the details will already be populated. Just add card details and confirm.

Print out the confirmation making sure the barcode is printed.

Then u just collect bags and go straight to the garage to pick a car. Show barcode at booth as you drive out.
irvin38a is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 12:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Alibayparc
VIP Dibber

Hi
Never tried not doing Skip the Counter but the knowledgeable Dibbers say you do not need to complete StC as long as you have the bar code at the top of your confirmation. StC only adds your CC.
Alex
Alibayparc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Alibayparc View Post
Hi
Never tried not doing Skip the Counter but the knowledgeable Dibbers say you do not need to complete StC as long as you have the bar code at the top of your confirmation. StC only adds your CC.
Alex
Wouldn't say that I was particularly knowledgeable but I have done Alamo OLCI around six times in the last three years. With either Brits or Andy at DFCH but the process should be the same.

Absolutely all you need is the barcode which you get after pressing the "print check-in" button on the OLCI form.

Yes some people add another process of filling in another form with CC details but personally never done it and it certainly hasn't been a problem.

The CC (or complaint debit card) that they swipe at the barrier is all that counts. Alamo have no interest at all in how you paid for the car hire.

Absolutely no need to go to the terminal desk. You collect rental agreement at the barrier. Keys (up to full size car at least) will be in the car.

Mick

PS

If you fill in the separate STC form with CC details does that mean they don't look at or swipe your CC at the barrier?

Edited at 01:14 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 12:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Melvin Pearce
Imagineer

Melvin Pearce's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
We always use Auto Europe, which is twice a year and highly recommend them to guests if they ask which car hire. If we end up with Alamo we also do the skip the counter, but the last two times we had Thrify.

We did use the Florida Visitor Pass for the first time which was brilliant and also highly recommend it.

Melvin and Lesley
Old 4 Nov 19, 03:59 PM  
Link to this Post
kraftikris
VIP Dibber

kraftikris's Reviews
Originally Posted by irvin38a View Post
To get the straight to garage at Alamo you

Book car hire

Check in on Alamo website using the voucher code on booking email.

Whilst that is still open on the screen open a new tab and google Alamo skip the counter

Click the link. All the details will already be populated. Just add card details and confirm.

Print out the confirmation making sure the barcode is printed.

Then u just collect bags and go straight to the garage to pick a car. Show barcode at booth as you drive out.
I have tried this, it simply won't just open a StC page but always takes me back to the online check in page, I get the premise of you suggestion, but it dont work for me,

I book Alamo every year, and complete StC and never had a problem, I feel like cancelling the whole booking and starting again, but it's gone up again since Friday.
kraftikris is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
kraftikris
VIP Dibber

kraftikris's Reviews
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Wouldn't say that I was particularly knowledgeable but I have done Alamo OLCI around six times in the last three years. With either Brits or Andy at DFCH but the process should be the same.

Absolutely all you need is the barcode which you get after pressing the "print check-in" button on the OLCI form.

Yes some people add another process of filling in another form with CC details but personally never done it and it certainly hasn't been a problem.

The CC (or complaint debit card) that they swipe at the barrier is all that counts. Alamo have no interest at all in how you paid for the car hire.

Absolutely no need to go to the terminal desk. You collect rental agreement at the barrier. Keys (up to full size car at least) will be in the car.

Mick

PS

If you fill in the separate STC form with CC details does that mean they don't look at or swipe your CC at the barrier?
Thanks Mick, I think I am going to have to 'suck it and see' as I said I do have a barcode and if worst comes to the worst I'll ask at the small counter in the garage, hopefully they can send me in the right direction, but anything to avoid queuing in the airport, and refusing the hard sell, BTW, yes you still have to produce your cc and driving license even if you do StC.
Old 4 Nov 19, 04:09 PM  
Link to this Post
kraftikris
VIP Dibber

kraftikris's Reviews
Thanks everyone for taking the time to write, I am a seasoned Alamo customer and have been skipping the counter for at least the last 10 years, but this is the first (and last) time I have booked through a third party and immediately encountered a problem, I never have ant issues when I book direct with Alamo.
Old 4 Nov 19, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks Mick, I think I am going to have to 'suck it and see' as I said I do have a barcode and if worst comes to the worst I'll ask at the small counter in the garage, hopefully they can send me in the right direction, but anything to avoid queuing in the airport, and refusing the hard sell, BTW, yes you still have to produce your cc and driving license even if you do StC.
Christine

As a very regular contributor to the car hire forum I've wondered for years what is the benefit of doing a separate skip the counter process. Doing OLCI allows you to STC - simple fact.

If you go through the separate process of another STC form but still have to have your CC swiped at the barrier what "added value" does doing another form offer?

As I said earlier it's of absolutely no consequence or interest to Alamo how you paid for the car and you could change your mind a dozen times about what card you might use at the barrier so why fill a form in if you don't need to?

Straight to garage A or B (your choice), find your row, check the line for low mileage, damage on the trunk lip, any nice gizmos and off you go.

We never even speak to anyone in the garage until we get to the barrier.

Enjoy

Mick

PS Writing this as you were posting yours. You're obviously well experienced so apologies if I patronised a bit

Edited at 04:16 PM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Nov 19, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
kraftikris
VIP Dibber

kraftikris's Reviews
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Christine

As a very regular contributor to the car hire forum I've wondered for years what is the benefit of doing a separate skip the counter process. Doing OLCI allows you to STC - simple fact.

If you go through the separate process of another STC form but still have to have your CC swiped at the barrier what "added value" does doing another form offer?

As I said earlier it's of absolutely no consequence or interest to Alamo how you paid for the car and you could change your mind a dozen times about what card you might use at the barrier so why fill a form in if you don't need to?

Straight to garage A or B (your choice), find your row, check the line for low mileage, damage on the trunk lip, any nice gizmos and off you go.

We never even speak to anyone in the garage until we get to the barrier.

Enjoy

Mick
Lol, I take your point, I have never given any thought to the fact that I am doing the same thing twice but I do know you still hand over the cc at the exit kiosk, I won't bother so much f this works out, and from what you have said it will.

Urghh, I hate the 'what car' when we get to the garage, we have actually packed our luggage in the boot when DH decides he dont like it for whatever reason and we have to unload and onto the next 'nice looking car', mind you we only ever book an economy mainly because over the years we have learned that they never have any to choose from and get told to take from the mid size line

Mick I never take a genuine response as patronising, just helpful thanks

Edited at 04:25 PM.