Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 9 Nov 19, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
disney20042012
Imagineer

Build a Droid boxes

Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the R2 droid carry boxes. I am trying to work out what size carry on luggage I need to take so I can fit one of these inside it. I won't be buying one of the Droid back packs, I'll just use the card carry box it comes in.

Are you pleased with the droid and could recommend the experience ?

Thank you
Hard Rock Hotel, Royal Pacific Resort
Endless Summer Dockside, Pop Century, Polynesian Resort.
disney20042012 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

I can't tell you the dimensions, but saw lots of them being carried around over the past couple of weeks. The boxes are quite large - much bigger than the actual droid. I'd be surprised if a hand luggage case would take one - you'd be looking at a large rucksack. If it was me, I'd take the droid out and carefully wrap it in clothes, or maybe even take some bubble wrap with you, and put it in your hand luggage, and flat pack the box in your main case if you want to bring that home

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31st Oct - 14th Nov 2012
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 2nd - 16th Jan 2014
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 7th - 21st Feb 2015
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 2nd - 15th April 2016
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29th March - 12th April 2017
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21st October - 4th November 2019
Food report - the unexpected Easter QSDP extravagana! April 2017
What do we want? FOOD! When do we want it? NOW! QSDP food report, Oct 2019
loves2plan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 12:28 PM  
Link to this Post
guinness_79
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We brought two droids back a couple of weeks ago - we packed them in our main case out of the box wrapped in clothes - they were absolutely fine.

However we did see folk just bringing them on board the return flight in their cardboard boxes with no issues - most also had a piece of hand luggage

We flew BA 👍
guinness_79 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Caroian
Imagineer

As above, the boxes are much bigger than the droids themselves. I think if you want to keep it in the box then you are best off (doing as many, many people do) to just carry that as your "personal item" of hand luggage, rather than trying to fit it in another case. Of course, this assumes your airline allows 2 carry-on items per person. If not, the other option is to remove it from the box and pack it carefully amongst clothes etc.

FWIW, We did go for the backpack - it was a great way of carrying our droid around Galaxy's Edge. And we just took it on the plane in addition to our other carry-ons as we only had one other bag each and were allowed two. There is not much space inside the backpack for other stuff, so it wouldn't work as your only carry-on.
Caroian is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Yeah saw lots of people just walking on to the plane with them as additional hand luggage. No one challenged them but I know why you wouldn’t want to risk it. It was the Virgin direct flight to LGW
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:13 PM  
Link to this Post
mollybogle
Apprentice Imagineer

We took ours out of the boxes and packed lots of clothes round them. The bb unit I took apart, we also flat packed the boxes although I’m not really sure why we brought the boxes home
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:45 PM  
Link to this Post
disneygirl1985
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by Caroian View Post
FWIW, We did go for the backpack - it was a great way of carrying our droid around Galaxy's Edge. And we just took it on the plane in addition to our other carry-ons as we only had one other bag each and were allowed two. There is not much space inside the backpack for other stuff, so it wouldn't work as your only carry-on.
Hi,
Struggled to find the info, if you don't mind please could you let me know how much the backpacks were. Thanks in advance.
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:49 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by disney20042012 View Post
Can anyone tell me the dimensions of the R2 droid carry boxes. I am trying to work out what size carry on luggage I need to take so I can fit one of these inside it. I won't be buying one of the Droid back packs, I'll just use the card carry box it comes in.

Are you pleased with the droid and could recommend the experience ?

Thank you
Mine fitted in my standard hard case cabin bag (BA size) and it was in its box as well along with a few other bits and pieces.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ziggyzag
Imagineer

Originally Posted by disneygirl1985 View Post
Hi,
Struggled to find the info, if you don't mind please could you let me know how much the backpacks were. Thanks in advance.
It is $50, according to reddit

Edited at 10:59 PM.
ziggyzag is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
disneygirl1985
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by ziggyzag View Post
It is $39.99
thank you