Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 5 Sep 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
NettyJ
Gone all Goofy

Mobile Staying in Davenport - No car hire 😳

Has anyone else had experience of using Lyft/Uber from Davenport to Disney? We are staying at LRP at the beginning of our trip so Universal won't be a problem.

Hubby is reluctant to drive and I've only recently passed my test. I've tried everything to try and change his mind but it would just add too much stress and ruin his enjoyment ☹️

I thought perhaps using a taxi service such as Lyft/Uber could possibly cost about the same as car hire and park parking and I've used a fare calculator for estimates, but I've also read that they can be alarmingly under estimated.
Basically I'm trying to figure out how much I could expect to spend on travel to and from Disney, with a couple of trips to Walmart for supplies.
Is there a better park to get dropped off at and continue on using Disney transportation? Or should we just get a taxi to the park we intend to visit that day?
Any help/guidance/recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Sorry for the long rambling post, it's just stressing me out a bit. We go in 7 weeks. X
NettyJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 03:01 AM  
Link to this Post
TEL N KEL
Imagineer

Originally Posted by NettyJ View Post
Has anyone else had experience of using Lyft/Uber from Davenport to Disney? We are staying at LRP at the beginning of our trip so Universal won't be a problem.

Hubby is reluctant to drive and I've only recently passed my test. I've tried everything to try and change his mind but it would just add too much stress and ruin his enjoyment ☹️

I thought perhaps using a taxi service such as Lyft/Uber could possibly cost about the same as car hire and park parking and I've used a fare calculator for estimates, but I've also read that they can be alarmingly under estimated.
Basically I'm trying to figure out how much I could expect to spend on travel to and from Disney, with a couple of trips to Walmart for supplies.
Is there a better park to get dropped off at and continue on using Disney transportation? Or should we just get a taxi to the park we intend to visit that day?
Any help/guidance/recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Sorry for the long rambling post, it's just stressing me out a bit. We go in 7 weeks. X
I think your taxi costs would depend on where in Davenport you are staying as it is a large area.
It can be 20 mins to disney or it can be 40 mins depending on location.
It cost us $40 one way from Sandy ridge to the junction of the 27-192 Devenneys Bar Walmart across the road. so I recon if we went to Disney we would of been looking at the same cost.
We had a car but was expecting to have a beer so left it at home

If I was you I would not stay in Davenport with out a car BUT there are many on here who do visit car less and get on very well.

I will say it is very easy to drive there and the distances you would be driving to from parks is only short.
You could make sure you only left before or after the roads are busy with locals going to from work until you got used to it.
Old 6 Sep 19, 03:24 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Do you know the actual community you are staying in? As mentioned above "Davenport" is practically meaningless distance wise.
Old 6 Sep 19, 08:13 AM  
Link to this Post
NettyJ
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Do you know the actual community you are staying in? As mentioned above "Davenport" is practically meaningless distance wise.
Sorry, didn't realise it was such a vast area. We are staying at Florida Pines Blvd.
NettyJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
As others have said "Davenport" is the generic name for dozens of communities usually along the 27 from the 192 down towards Posner Park and eastwards beyond Champions Gate.

Where you are staying is a couple of mile south of Highgate Park where we are returning to soon for the 12th time. We like it there.

However in 35 trips to Florida and driving around 50,000 miles there we have always hired a car for scores of reasons as we don't go to the parks now anyway but love to explore Florida's other 65,700 square miles.

Scores of Dibbers put forward extremely valid arguments in favour of Uber and Lyft but not for us.

I though Uber Lyft was a new range of M&S support bras?

Mick
Old 6 Sep 19, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
welshmum
Imagineer

I have just priced up Lyft and it would cost you roughly $20 one way if there were 4 of you or $27 one way if there were 5-6 of you and you wouldn't need to pay parking charges.

You can get car hire from £20(ish) per day for a standard car but then will have to pay for parking which is $25 per day.

Do what suits your family best.

Hope that helps x

Edited at 10:02 AM.
welshmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
NettyJ
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by welshmum View Post
I have just priced up Lyft and it would cost you roughly $20 one way if there were 4 of you or $27 one way if there were 5-6 of you and you wouldn't need to pay parking charges.

You can get car hire from £20(ish) per day for a standard car but then will have to pay for parking which is $25 per day.

Do what suits your family best.

Hope that helps x

Thank you Welshmum 😊 I've looked at the fare estimates, but my concern is the accuracy, are they very under estimated? TEL N KEL said they paid $40 for a journey that is coming up on the Lyft Estimate as $18 (not sure what taxi service they used though) 😔
Old 6 Sep 19, 10:57 AM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by NettyJ View Post
Sorry, didn't realise it was such a vast area. We are staying at Florida Pines Blvd.
Florida Pines Blvd is next to Calabay Parc, this is a 30 min / 20 mile drive from the Villa to Magic Kingdom with ZERO traffic - this route at peak time can easy take you 40 mins plus each way if you hit traffic, which is every morning and evening - the I4 route is not an option either in a UBER as that can by 10mph at peak time.

I would suggest that A) you stay else where or B) your husband forgets his fear and drives, there's so much support on his forum for driving there and it is 100% fine, its easier than driving in the UK, massive lanes, big parking spaces, plus kids can drive at 16 so it shows how easy it is, it will make a big impact on your holiday.

Its showing $25 on fare estimater at present -
uber/gb/en/price-estimate/

You should check it again at 9am and 6pm local times, plus 10pm local time.

The other risk you have is a driver not accepting the job to pick you up from the villa,
Las Vegas 18 - Florida 18 -Holland 18 -Bratislava 18 -Florida 17 -Holland 17 -Rhodes 17 - Kos 17 - France 16-Belgium 16-Holland 16-Germany 16-Sopot Poland 15-Kos 15-DLP SQL 15-Hampton Lakes 14-Hamburg 14- Berlin 13-WestRidge Villas 12-Krakow 12-France 11-Turkey 11-Germany 10-Marbella 10-Jamaica 09-Dublin 09-Dublin 08-Paris 08-Zante Villa 08-Egypt 2008-Rhodes 2008-Sweden 08-Norway 08-Rhodes 07- Huatulco Mexico 07-DLP Magic Circus 2007-Dublin 2007-Sweden 07-Greece 06/05/04-Barcelona 04-Rhodes 02

Edited at 11:00 AM.
RickT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

If your DH refuses to drive, I suggest you both take your driving licences anyway. Once there he might decide it would be much more convenient to drive and he could practice on a quiet road first.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Sep 19, 11:05 AM  
Link to this Post
NettyJ
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

Originally Posted by RickT View Post
Florida Pines Blvd is next to Calabay Parc, this is a 30 min / 20 mile drive from the Villa to Magic Kingdom with ZERO traffic - this route at peak time can easy take you 40 mins plus each way if you hit traffic, which is every morning and evening - the I4 route is not an option either in a UBER as that can by 10mph at peak time.

I would suggest that A) you stay else where or B) your husband forgets his fear and drives, there's so much support on his forum for driving there and it is 100% fine, its easier than driving in the UK, massive lanes, big parking spaces, plus kids can drive at 16 so it shows how easy it is, it will make a big impact on your holiday.

Its showing $25 on fare estimater at present -
uber/gb/en/price-estimate/

You should check it again at 9am and 6pm local times, plus 10pm local time.

The other risk you have is a driver not accepting the job to pick you up from the villa,
Thank you. This is very helpful. I'm doing my best to persuade Hubby, I think car hire really is the best option and if it's as easy as everyone says I might even try it myself 😊 Thanks again.