Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Nov 20, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Simba1980
slightly serious Dibber

Has to say goodbye to dog yesterday.

I feel absolutely heartbroken. Yesterday I had to make the decision to have my 16 year old shihtzu Dexter PTS. He was my Mums dog but came to live with me and my DH 6 years ago when my Mum passed away. He had such a huge personality and ruled the house - even bossing our Great Dane around!
He had to have one eye removed 2 years ago and adapted really well. He had cushings and cancer but continued to fight and was a happy little man. He recently was diagnosed with conjestive heart failure and was put onto medication to manage. We knew he was a poorly doggo and the decision would have to made at some point in the near future, but he plodded on in his own happy little way. He was his usual self yesterday morning but suddenly became very poorly. We took him to the emergency vets where we had to decide what to do. The vet believed he had a twisted gut but also had fluid on his stomach and without surgery we wouldn't know if it was heart/cancer related. She said the prognosis was not good.
I was on my own as DH had to stay outside and I just broke down. I looked at Dexter and saw the exhaustion in his face. I was allowed to bring my DH in and we agreed to have Dexter PTS. We stayed with him until the end.
Now I feel guilty and can't get the image of him out of my head. The house feels empty and I can't imagine him not being here for good. I keep thinking he's asleep in his bed but when I look he's not here.
I've not posted for sympathy - I guess more for the chance to put down in writing how I'm feeling. I know I made the decision for Dexter but I can't help feeling so bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dexter 1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	65509  

Saratoga Springs WDW 2013 Saratoga Springs WDW 2014 Saratoga Springs WDW 2015 Las Vegas Vow Renewal June 2016 Saratoga Springs WDW Oct 2016 Saratoga Springs WDW Oct 2017 Las Vegas Feb 2018 Las Vegas June 2018 Cyprus July & September 2018 Saratoga Springs Oct 2018 Universal Studios Adventura Resort and Hard Rock Hotel Oct 2019 Las Vegas July 2022 Port Orleans FQ & Hard Rock 2022

Edited at 01:09 PM.
Simba1980 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 01:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Gingerlife
Serious Dibber

I'm sorry to read this and know what a painful decision it is. We had to have our cat put to sleep last year,having had her for 14 years.
They are such a big part of your family and it is devastating. You just need to remember he had a good life with you and that you made the right decision as you wouldn't have wanted him to suffer.
Gingerlife is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
4fromsuffolk
Very Serious Dibber

4fromsuffolk's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Really sorry to read this. Sending you a big hug and lots of love. We had our old Labrador put to sleep 2 years ago and we think of her every day xx
4fromsuffolk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 01:19 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I wanted to send you a big hug. But also say I think the feeling guilty is normal. I had to have both my dog and cat pts - both with old age. I know in my heart of hearts that it was the right thing to do for then, but I felt so guilty for ages, kept thinking what if I waited, got the vet to try something else, tried a different vet. But I know it was their time.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 01:22 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

I don't think you can win with guilt, we took in a stray for a while and he developed a cough. We took him to the vet and he died on the way there. I kept thinking I should have taken him sooner but he really didn't seem that ill.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 01:27 PM  
Link to this Post
shirley
Imagineer

shirley's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Oh please don't feel bad, he had a wonderful life with a loving family. I think you have been very brave and kind letting him go, not sure how I would cope TBh. Love and hugs to you all, thinking of you xx
shirley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

We have he ability to end our pets pain suffering. Saying goodbye is so very hard and heartbreaking. When the quality of their life is no more, it is 100% the right thing to do.

You are gone from my sight, but never my memory
You are gone from my touch, but never my heart.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 01:38 PM  
Link to this Post
laura
Imagineer

I felt just like you when I had to make the decision to let my fur baby,Misty, go two years ago.
It’s so hard and even when we know we are making the best decision for our lovely pets, the guilt still kicks in😢.
Your lovely dog had a great life with yous and now he is out of pain and at rest, sending you hugs
Old 2 Nov 20, 01:54 PM  
Link to this Post
FLA88
Proud to wear my Ears

It's the hardest thing we have to do, the worst thing about having them but the last loving act we can do for our pets 😢 💔
FLA88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Nov 20, 02:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Allan
Excited about Disney

We had to take that decision in June with our 12 year old Lab and it was by far the hardest thing I have had to do. I felt guilty and even now 5 months later I still wonder if it was the right thing to do but I do think he knew his time was up.
Allan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List