Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 2 Jan 21, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

Gatwick airport - lounge?

Originally were due to fly via Philadelphia from Manchester T3 at 11ish. I had booked an airport lounge as there's not much there and the coffee spots are always busy.

We're now going via Gatwick instead. Our flight leaves Manchester at 7am so I've cancelled the lounge as we just wouldn't need it.

I'm wondering whether to book a lounge at Gatwick instead. Our connection is 2.5hrs although it says the MAN-LGW is 1hr15 and I thought it was actually shorter than that. Having never been to Gatwick airport I don't know if there's plenty of seating and quiet spots or whether we'd welcome a lounge even if it's just for an hour or so.

All thoughts welcome
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 06:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlandoguy
Imagineer

There are very few quiet area in gatwick, I’d book a lounge, if I’m not in the BA lounge then I’d book the club rooms at both terminals isn’t to bad

Edited at 06:43 PM.
Orlandoguy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 07:01 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

From the Gatwick Airport website:

International flights connecting to the UK and Ireland
If you’re arriving at Gatwick from an international flight and are connecting to a destination within the UK or Ireland, you will need to go through immigration. If your hold bags are through checked or you’re travelling with hand luggage only, you can then go straight to security.

If your hold bags aren’t through checked, you must collect them first. Follow signs to Baggage Reclaim – you will need to pass through Passport Control on your way, then go to check-in for your next flight.

With a 2.5 hour connection, you will need to allow a minimum of 30 minutes to get off your inbound flight and then pass through immigration. Remembering that you are likely to begin boarding 45 minutes before so that is likely to be half your time gone. On that basis, as lounge is probably not worth the money.

Although there aren't any quiet places to sit (Gatwick is designed for retail), there are a couple of restaurants where you could sit down and have a light breakfast and comfortably kill most of the time.
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

In normal times I might book a lounge (though you may have less time than you imagine by the time you’ve got off the first plane and got ready to get on the next one!)

But at the moment I would definitely not book one. There is bound to be more rescheduling of flights depending on how quickly travel recovers, so either or both of your flight timings could change, and who knows if even the terminal at Gatwick may change too.

Because of that I wouldn’t book until much closer (unless it was fully refundable!).
Old 2 Jan 21, 09:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Stevelovesfl
Excited about Disney

I wouldn’t book one as airport is likely to be quieter than normal.
Stevelovesfl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jan 21, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
shelle
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DonkeyCentreArf View Post
From the Gatwick Airport website:

International flights connecting to the UK and Ireland
If you’re arriving at Gatwick from an international flight and are connecting to a destination within the UK or Ireland, you will need to go through immigration. If your hold bags are through checked or you’re travelling with hand luggage only, you can then go straight to security.

If your hold bags aren’t through checked, you must collect them first. Follow signs to Baggage Reclaim – you will need to pass through Passport Control on your way, then go to check-in for your next flight.

With a 2.5 hour connection, you will need to allow a minimum of 30 minutes to get off your inbound flight and then pass through immigration. Remembering that you are likely to begin boarding 45 minutes before so that is likely to be half your time gone. On that basis, as lounge is probably not worth the money.

Although there aren't any quiet places to sit (Gatwick is designed for retail), there are a couple of restaurants where you could sit down and have a light breakfast and comfortably kill most of the time.
Is that the case when coming from Manchester? I thought we'd maybe just have to do security again.

Thanks for all your replies. The lounges are fully refundable(cancelled the last one and money in my account from Holiday Extras the next day) or I wouldn't even consider booking.

I won't book one now and see how things go. It's not that long a wait and the sights and sounds of a new airport and breakfast somewhere may suffice.

Thanks
shelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jan 21, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
DonkeyCentreArf
Very Serious Dibber

You won't go through immigration on the way out but you will still need to go through the main security which will take time.
1990 - Quality Inn International - iDrive / 1996 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 1997 - Dixie Landings / 1999 - All Star Sports / 2002 - Grosvenor Hotel Plaza Boulevard / 2003 - DLP / 2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 2008 - Doubletree Universal / 2009 - Saratoga Springs / 2011 - Bonnet Creek Resort & Vero Beach / 2014 - Bonnet Creek Resort / Oct 2021 - Rescheduled / Feb 2022 - Rescheduled / Oct 2022 HRH & OKW
DonkeyCentreArf is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List