Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 20 Feb 21, 10:44 PM  
Link to this Post
archibald
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Was I on that one? Never heard anything after a couple of initial emails. Just had a Six Flags one recently and was advised to do nothing and let them get on with it.
archibald is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Feb 21, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
VIP Dibber

We got one today! I was a bit concerned when DH said we've got something from the states about class action and car hire and thought we'd done something wrong, until I read it myself.
93 94 03 DLP
JudyC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 07:22 AM  
Link to this Post
cope29
Getting Excited

lawyers

I got one too, had a letter a few years ago now aswell but thought nothing of it. Anyone know what it is all about?
cope29 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Tony Toon
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

We got ours this morning. Towards the bottom it says you can request to be excluded and that request must be post marked before 6th April 2021. It also says that 'if you do not exclude yourself you will be legally bound by the decisions of the District Court and the final outcome of this lawsuit'. Does that mean if the District Court found against the plaintiff and awarded Avis/Budget costs then we'd be jointly liable? I'll be writing to have our names taken off the list. We had no issues on any of our trips so if we didn't have proper insurance at the time it's all water under the bridge now.

Mrs TT.
July 08 4 weeks. Oct 08 Special birthday trip; July 09 4 weeks to drop off daughter for dream Disney job in the Rose and Crown Oct 09 Quick visit to DD Christmas 09. Another visit to see DD. Easter '10 Beach Club with Cairistiona Summer '10 5 weeks for our Final Fling! July '11, 3 weeks Indian Crek; July 2012 4 weeks
Tony Toon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Tony Toon View Post
We got ours this morning. Towards the bottom it says you can request to be excluded and that request must be post marked before 6th April 2021. It also says that 'if you do not exclude yourself you will be legally bound by the decisions of the District Court and the final outcome of this lawsuit'. Does that mean if the District Court found against the plaintiff and awarded Avis/Budget costs then we'd be jointly liable? I'll be writing to have our names taken off the list. We had no issues on any of our trips so if we didn't have proper insurance at the time it's all water under the bridge now.

Mrs TT.
I wouldn't withdraw for a number of reasons

Probably going to get slung anyhow
If it does go ahead who turns down free money
Finally you wrote to me did you? Mmm, I never had it so nothing to do with me if the case is lost.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

'Morrow and Morrow. For the people dot com'

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 02:31 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
VIP Dibber

I received the card today. I canít remember hiring an Avis or Budget car, but must have done.

Iíll wait for my $20 Ďcheckí
Old 22 Feb 21, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Got our postcard this morning too
Gryff is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
JimF
VIP Dibber

It's a long time since I read the brief, but in essence it relates to the cost of SLI cover. It was included in the (elevated)cost of most prepaid hires and if not you were advised to pay to top up. Avis stated that you would benefit from a policy with an insurance company to cover this risk.

It is alleged that Avis did not buy any such policy but retained the cash. It is believed that they did this because such claims were expected to be of a volume that the cash received for the top ups would cover it OOP; if not they were a big company. It is a common practice amongst large companies to bear a risk by self insurance but at that time Avis didn't say so. The plaintiff says their paperwork said they bought a policy. They didn't so the renter wanted the premium back.

So the case was brought. It has gone on for over 8 years on a "Oh yes you did, and an Oh no we didn't" basis and now looks to be coming to a head. I can't even speculate how it will turn out. It is an American class action, always a mystery.
JimF is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
lovedisney
Imagineer

lovedisney's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We got the postcard as well

July '17 - Sunset Lakes, Aug '15 - Windsor Hills, Aug 13- Highlands Reserve,Aug '11 -Windsor Hills
Oct '09 - Sunset Lakes,May '08 - Lindfields,April '07 - Florida pines,April '05 - Florida Pines,July 1997 - Quality Inn Plaza,I Drive. May 96 - International Drive
lovedisney is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 21, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Rossalino
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks everyone for your replies. Doesn't sound like anything for us to worry about at the moment then!
Rossalino is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List