Old 21 Mar 20, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Driving lessons still OK?

I have not driven since I passed my test 30 years ago.

I now live near my elderly parents who have a car. Been thinking of having a few refresher lessons in case I need to drive them to hospital etc.

Would you?
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 20, 12:48 AM  
Link to this Post
loobz
Imagineer

loobz's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
my daughter has had her driving lesson due tomorrow cancelled and her instructor isn't working for the next 3 months. Her test, scheduled for the end of April has also been cancelled.

She's going to call DVLA tomorrow because her theory test expires at the end of June and she's unlikely to be able to book her test before then.
Old 21 Mar 20, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

My son has a couple of young driver (under 17) lessons booked for next weekend, but the company have sent an email to cancel them.

Have you got a family member who could take you?

If you haven't actually got any driving experience though, it might take quite a while to become confident again.
Old 21 Mar 20, 02:08 AM  
Link to this Post
dx4100
Imagineer

Driving lessons are not ok at the moment... an hour sat in close confinement with someone who you do not live with is the opposite of social distancing. 2 meters apart is the rule.
2002 - Disney Paris Santa Fe | 2016 - Disney Paris Hotel New York | 2018 - Hard Rock / Beach Club | 2019 - Hard Rock / Villa | 2020 - Disneyland California / Six Flags Magic Mountain / LA / Santa Monica | 2022 - Disneyland California / LA / Santa Monica (booked) | 2022 - Cabana Bay / Hard Rock / Villa (booked)
dx4100 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 20, 03:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Minnie18
Banned

Mobile

Social isolation

You stay in and don't go out unless you absolutely need to.
Minnie18 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 20, 05:29 AM  
Link to this Post
Joelin
Animal Kingdom Lodge Guest

Mobile

UK tests have been cancelled unless youíre a key worker so probably not feasible anyway
Old 21 Mar 20, 07:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Dibbing with Tink

I've been thinking about situations like this. I've cancelled my Specsavers appointment but I have a mobile hairdressers appointment soon and also one for eyebrows. These are local traders so I was thinking of I cancelled I could either send them cheque or transfer cash equivalent to appoint cost. I was thinking swap the eyebrows for pedicure.
What are people doing with these situations?
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 20, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

My Dd has had her driving test postponed indefinitely. She had 3 tests cancelled last week! Sheís gutted. Probably wonít get to try again for months. Poor love she was sat there on Tuesday when the examiner left. Others were getting called through, she was just unlucky. Sorry just wanted a little moan there! 😂 itís just weíve shelled out loads and her cars sat waiting. ☹️

Anyway getting back to your question, can you not get another family member to go out with you a couple of times to remind you as I doubt a instructor would. (Would this be considered essential? I suppose it depends on how important getting to your parents is? It would be for me)

Iíve not driven a gear car for years so I can understand your worry but Iím sure it would all come flooding back to you.

Kat

Edited at 08:00 AM.
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 20, 08:03 AM  
Link to this Post
RickT
Imagineer

As you already have a license, technically there's nothing stopping you jumping in the car and giving it a go, however not advisable of course.. I would be may look to a non high risk family member to assist to give you a refresher at this moment in time..

Also to note, you mention your parents car, so you need to ensure you have all the relevant insurance in place etc..
RickT is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Mar 20, 08:06 AM  
Link to this Post
katiebaz
Very Serious Dibber

katiebaz's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Noodle500 View Post
I've been thinking about situations like this. I've cancelled my Specsavers appointment but I have a mobile hairdressers appointment soon and also one for eyebrows. These are local traders so I was thinking of I cancelled I could either send them cheque or transfer cash equivalent to appoint cost. I was thinking swap the eyebrows for pedicure.
What are people doing with these situations?
It is hard and I too cancelled my Specsavers appointment and am going to cancel my hair appointment for next week. I do feel for my hairdresser as she is self employed so was thinking of paying for a voucher I can use at a later date. I do think we have to take social distancing seriously- even when it isnít easy and have to be unselfish for the sake of everyone. With schools, pubs etc being closed I canít see how we can justify hair cuts, beauty treatments etc.
katiebaz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List