Notices

Old 24 Jan 21, 02:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Fireworks
Excited about Disney

Some teachers have a very lucrative sideline

Article in the Daily Mail today stating that they have uncovered some teachers with a very lucrative sideline in private tutoring, even some during school hours while they should be working from home.

I think this is disgraceful and a real kick in the teeth for all the young people who are not getting the education they deserve.

Any teacher found doing this should be sacked in my opinion.

ALL teachers should be working their full contracted hours providing an education to the children of the school they are employed by. Thankfully I don't have school age children any more, but am really angry for all the people that do who are being seriously short changed.
Fireworks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Hels80
VIP Dibber

I am a teacher. Most of my friends are teachers. I donít know anyone at all that tutors alongside teaching full time.
I only just have time for my family, let alone another side job!
Iíd take that with a pinch of salt.
Genuinely- of 200+ teachers I know- not one falls in to that description.
Best Western I drive 1997, Regal Palms 2009, Wedding at Beuna Vista Palace 04/08/09, Coco Key 2010, Art of Animation, RPR Universal, Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014, RPR & Disney's Swan 2017, Rosen Inn @ Pointe, Hard Rock Hotel, Port Orleans French 2018.

DLP: :
Best Western MLV 2007, Hotel Cheyenne 2008, Sequoia Lodge 2010, Dream Castle 2011, Kyriad MLV Torcy 2012, Hotel El'ysee 2012, Hotel Cheyenne 2013, Sequoia Lodge 2015.
Hels80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 02:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thereís probably one or two doing it, but the majority wonít be...weíre too busy.

Teaching remotely is double the work and itís very time consuming. Thereís no way I could plan for a full time week and private tutor...

Now, I also think you also have to take whatís put in the media with a pinch of salt. My colleague is part time and has always offered private tuition on her days off. She, I would imagine, could be continuing to do this remotely, which would be her right...but out of context could look bad.

Edited at 03:00 PM.
Reereef is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Seriously? Teachers work the hours needed to do the job, generally many more than the contracted hours. They will be planning and s etting work so it is ready for children to access first thing in the morning and then marking it in the evening, . So itís possible they have more free time during the day but it doesnít mean they arenít doing any work.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Hels80
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Reereef View Post
Thereís probably one or two doing it, but the majority wonít be...weíre too busy.

Teaching remotely is double the work and itís very time consuming. Thereís no way I could plan for a full time week and private tutor...

Now, I also think you also have to take whatís put in the media with a pinch of salt. My colleague is part time and has always offered private tuition on her days off. She I would imagine could be continuing to do this remotely, which would be her right...but out of context could look bad.
This has actually made me laugh. I am like a zombie by Friday. The thought of doing anything else other than our crazy job is impossible.
The daily Mail just loves teachers, doesnít it?
Best Western I drive 1997, Regal Palms 2009, Wedding at Beuna Vista Palace 04/08/09, Coco Key 2010, Art of Animation, RPR Universal, Rosen Inn @ Pointe 2014, RPR & Disney's Swan 2017, Rosen Inn @ Pointe, Hard Rock Hotel, Port Orleans French 2018.

DLP: :
Best Western MLV 2007, Hotel Cheyenne 2008, Sequoia Lodge 2010, Dream Castle 2011, Kyriad MLV Torcy 2012, Hotel El'ysee 2012, Hotel Cheyenne 2013, Sequoia Lodge 2015.
Hels80 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 03:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Hels80 View Post
This has actually made me laugh. I am like a zombie by Friday. The thought of doing anything else other than our crazy job is impossible.
The daily Mail just loves teachers, doesnít it?
I think for the most part, itís to rile up parents. The more riled up you get, the more doom scrolling you do and the more attention their paper gets.
Doesnít even need to be factual.
Reereef is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Mobile

I think this part is telling:

ďthey have uncovered some teachers with a very lucrative sideline in private tutoring, even some during school hours while they should be working from home.Ē

Though it doesnít say whether thatís the teachers part time day off.
Old 24 Jan 21, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Wazza
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Reereef View Post

Now, I also think you also have to take whatís put in the media with a pinch of salt. My colleague is part time and has always offered private tuition on her days off. She, I would imagine, could be continuing to do this remotely, which would be her right...but out of context could look bad.
Having seen the lessons provided on line to DD Iíd imagine teachers would be to exhausted to do anything extra
Wazza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 03:07 PM  
Link to this Post
TinkerBabe
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I donít believe anything I see Ďreportedí in the Daily Fail, complete click bait. I can only speak from my own experience as a I work in a sixth form centre, and the teachers in my secondary school are working tirelessly to provide the best remote learning they can to students, whilst also covering keyworker children in school, all amidst the uncertainly of how any of this will pan out in terms of qualifications. It is important to note that a number of teachers may also offer tutoring outside of school, and I mean in normal times, most often to young people who are not pupils at the school they teach at. Why shouldnít this continue during the pandemic, if it was in place before? I know from experience a number of young teachers who offer maths gcse tutoring to students, utilising their own maths skills gained at degree level. Mainly itís requested by students from others schools, but in several instances itís funded by my school to help our own students who need the extra support. This is 1:1 tuition over and above the usual lessons and after school provision that would ordinarily be in place.

Just my opinion, I would just caution damning all teachers based on a daily mail article, a rag which is despicable and headline grabbing at the best of times, and scaremongering and manipulative at its worst.
Old 24 Jan 21, 03:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Reereef
Imagineer

Reereef's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
Having seen the lessons provided on line to DD Iíd imagine teachers would be to exhausted to do anything extra
Quite! I am producing a slide show; recorded explanation video; worksheets; Google quiz and am live teaching at least 15-45 mins of every lesson. (Secondary).
Thatís a good few hours work for one lesson. Iím more likely to work more hours than find time to private tutor. Itís laughable.

Thank you for acknowledging your childís teacher and I hope your child is coping with this horrible time x