Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 9 Feb 21, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
#1
OLS
Apprentice Imagineer
 
OLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 08
Year 9 Options picking...

So is anyone else in this boat at the moment?

TBH I think our school were a bit late with the information sending out due to the homeschooling they are sorting as I know some other schools had the information a few weeks ago but we got our option packs yesterday (I had a headache after reading all that )

I know some parents have already said to me "well DS/DD wants to do XYZ but we want them to do ABC so they will be doing ABC" but generally our opinion was "we will try and guide DS and point out any pit falls he may be heading in to but he can pick what he wants to pick" - It's so hard knowing which is the best road to take when they have no real idea what they want to do when they "grow up"

He did mention "maybe I might like to go in the Army when I am older" but I am hoping that is just a 13 yr old boy thing
OLS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 21, 10:12 AM  
Link to this Post
#2
novocastrian
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Aug 14
our daughter is sitting GCSE this year

we told her to pick the subjects she enjoys (she had/has no real idea what she wants to 'do') as she will not put the effort into exams on subjects she dosnt enjoy/hates

she has just chosen her A levels based on this as well ie/ the subjects she likes

fwiw for your lad joining the army/navy/raf, great choice imo learn a trade, grow up and hopefully see the world all while getting paid
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 21, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
#3
JessBlu
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Oct 16
Yes we let out daughter pick some ďless academicĒ topics we just liked the balance she would get.

The school wanted to do that magic 8 for the Russel group of unis but thatís just for their figures not really for the child our thoughts were that a balance of practical food and dance would be a nice break from the heavy stuff and ultimately it all gets turned into points for UCas uni anyway so the subject is a bit irrelevant.

Go with what your child wants and donít let the school try to sway you they just want their numbers to look good.

Unless of course your child has his sights on Oxford then you better go for that magic 8 😂😂
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 21, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
#4
novocastrian
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Aug 14
Originally Posted by JessBlu View Post
Yes we let out daughter pick some ďless academicĒ topics we just liked the balance she would get.

The school wanted to do that magic 8 for the Russel group of unis but thatís just for their figures not really for the child our thoughts were that a balance of practical food and dance would be a nice break from the heavy stuff and ultimately it all gets turned into points for UCas uni anyway so the subject is a bit irrelevant.

Go with what your child wants and donít let the school try to sway you they just want their numbers to look good.

Unless of course your child has his sights on Oxford then you better go for that magic 8 😂😂
can i ask what they are ? all new to us A levels/ uni etc
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 21, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
#5
Doc88
Very Serious Dibber
 
Doc88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 14
Following

I have all this to come next year 😬. My dd have always said from a young age she wants to be a police detective, this is still the case now. I know this could all change when picking her options.
Doc88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 21, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
#6
JessBlu
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Oct 16
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
can i ask what they are ? all new to us A levels/ uni etc
The usual three which have to be taken anyway

Maths
English
Science

Then history, geography and a language.

But our daughter choose food tech, dance and the language, the school really pushed us to pick the three academic topics as she gets good grades but we agreed with her choices and she says she enjoys the balance she had.

The

Edited at 10:27 AM.
JessBlu is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 21, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
#7
400ixl
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Mar 12
Our DD school chose their GCSE / BTEC subjects at the end of year 7 so they did them over 3 years. A much better system than leaving the choice until end of year 8.

She had an idea of what she wanted to do and which subjects she enjoyed. So she was able to choose the ones she wanted.

She didn't get to do one subject as not enough people chose it and another was new and turned out to be nothing like they described which was disappointing, although I think that was more the teachers interpretation and what they wanted it to be rather than the syllabus itself.

Another influence was who was teaching the syllabus. She was deciding between 2 subjects and one had a teacher she liked and one she didn't. So she went with the one she likes.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 21, 10:25 AM  
Link to this Post
#8
Lisa123wm
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Jan 08
My son is currently in Y11.
When he chose his options in Y9, we had a similar attitude as you. He wasnít sure what he wanted to do, so ended up being guided by us a little too much though.
After a couple of weeks of starting Y10, he really didnít like one subject so we got in touch with school and they moved him into another subject that he decided heíd like to do.
Then a couple of weeks later, he also wanted to change another one.
This proved harder as it was in a different subject block. Thankfully, one fab teacher managed to move him, by moving him to a different block in one of his other subjects, a class heís been much happier in too.

That was the time that he realised what area he wanted a career in and has now chosen his A level subjects, which we think are great options for him.

Imo, they need to enjoy a subject to do well in it. Thatís half the battle.

Also, as Iíve said, my sonís school let him change his options during that first term. They said quite a few students do. So if your child ends up really not liking one subject, this could be an option too.
__________________
Sept 93 - Orlando, California, Nevada
Aug 94, Jul & Dec 03, Oct 04, Xmas 05, 06, 07 - DLP
Dec 08/Jan 09 - Residence Inn Seaworld, Orlando
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 21, 10:30 AM  
Link to this Post
#9
400ixl
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Mar 12
Originally Posted by Doc88 View Post
Following

I have all this to come next year 😬. My dd have always said from a young age she wants to be a police detective, this is still the case now. I know this could all change when picking her options.
Should give her a wide range of subjects to choose from, pretty much doesn't discount any.

Outside of the sciences / languages which would be good choices slants more towards the physical education than the home ed side of the non academic (for want of a better phrase) subjects.

Does the school do gcse's like psychology? Many don't but may be worth looking into.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 21, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
#10
Lisa123wm
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Jan 08
Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Our DD school chose their GCSE / BTEC subjects at the end of year 7 so they did them over 3 years. A much better system than leaving the choice until end of year 8.

She had an idea of what she wanted to do and which subjects she enjoyed. So she was able to choose the ones she wanted.

She didn't get to do one subject as not enough people chose it and another was new and turned out to be nothing like they described which was disappointing, although I think that was more the teachers interpretation and what they wanted it to be rather than the syllabus itself.

Another influence was who was teaching the syllabus. She was deciding between 2 subjects and one had a teacher she liked and one she didn't. So she went with the one she likes.
At the end of Y7? So 4 years of GCSEs?
That doesnít give much time to decide which subjects to do.

My daughter chose hers in Y8, so had 3 years of GCSEs. She took one of her science exams in Y10 at age 14. Too young imo, and she regretted some of her choices, by which time it was too late.
__________________
Sept 93 - Orlando, California, Nevada
Aug 94, Jul & Dec 03, Oct 04, Xmas 05, 06, 07 - DLP
Dec 08/Jan 09 - Residence Inn Seaworld, Orlando
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Latest News
Posted in Florida
On 16th April 11:37am
Disney Cruise Line’s recently announced “Disney Magic at Sea” staycation sailings will go on sale... Read More »
Posted in Disney Cruise Line
On 26th March 12:11pm
United Kingdom residents will be able to experience the magic of Disney Cruise Line close... Read More »
Posted in Orlando
On 24th March 3:22pm
Aquatica, Orlando’s most thrilling waterpark, is racing into Spring with a splash by introducing Florida’s... Read More »


theDIBB Menu


Exchange Rates
US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.3642
CaxtonFX  $1.3589
Covent Garden FX  $1.3753
FAIRFX  $1.3470
John Lewis  $1.3639
M&S  $1.3444
Sainsburys  $1.3621
TESCO  $1.3638
Travelex  $1.3600
Updated: 03:00 22/04/2021
Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.1346
CaxtonFX  €1.1284
Covent Garden FX  €1.1400
FAIRFX  €1.1255
John Lewis  €1.1341
M&S  €1.1176
Sainsburys  €1.1330
TESCO  €1.1335
Travelex  €1.1300
Updated: 03:00 22/04/2021

DIBB Premium Membership
Did you know you can help support theDIBB with Premium Membership?

Check out this link for more information and benefits, such as...

"No adverts on theDIBB Forums"

Upgrade Now



X