Notices

Old 11 Feb 21, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Penicillin allergy and vaccination

DH has a penicillin allergy. He had an allergy as a small baby but we donít know how serious it was. He never asked his parents though I remember his Mum saying he ended up in hospital but I dont THINK it was life threatening. It was in a hospital in Singapore or maybe Malaya as his Dad was in the Army so I doubt it will be on his medical records that the GP can access

He has always avoided penicillin

I think I read he cannot have the Pfizer vaccination

Would he make arrangements pre vaccine accommodate this and if so how does he do that

He is only 53 so we have a while before we think about it

06 FAIRFIELD INN, ASMo 07 POP 08 POP, AKL, HRH, BWV
09 Easter SSR, NAPLES, OKW 09 Christmas
BCV, AKL
10 AKL, Country Inn, BCV 11 Disneyland CA, Las Vegas, San Diego
Christmas 11 Las Vegas 12 SSR 13 Emerald Island 14 AKL, Fairfield Inn,RPR, VWL 15 Emerald Island, Vero Beach April 16 DLP Nov 16 POFQ, AKL April 17 BWV Nov 17 AKL, BLT, Vero Beach 18 DLP 18 Savannah, Daytona Beach 19 AKL BWV 21 Rosen inn@Point, RPR. AMI Island
JoJoBell is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 21, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
jojo_3596
Apprentice Imagineer

If he had an reaction to penicillin requiring hospitalisation, then itís likely he would be offered the Oxford vaccine rather than the Pfizer- but if his reaction was only mild and didnít need treating with medications, he would probably be ok with the Pfizer. Iíve given to Pfizer vaccination to many patients with penicillin allergies. It would be worth discussing this with his gp though once he becomes eligible for the vaccine to ascertain what kind of allergic reaction he had, if that canít be ascertained heíll likely be advised to have the Oxford vaccine.

Edited at 01:33 PM.
jojo_3596 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 21, 01:37 PM  
Link to this Post
kitjos
Excited about Disney

I heard a listener call up Radio 2 a couple of weeks back as they had a Q&A with a Doctor/immune spec and you could call in with concerns. A chap phoned up and said he has a Penciliin allergy and can he have the vaccine, the Dr said to inform the nurse at the time of vaccine as they can discuss further, but he was ok to have the vaccine unless his allergy was as severe as anaphylactic shock. So, i guess it would depend on the risk to him, if he had anaphylactic episode in the past etc.

Def disc with medic at the time. Good luck x
Old 11 Feb 21, 01:41 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

nadya's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Mil 65 has a penicillin allergy and had the Pfizer vaccine the other day with no issues,I thought she would get the Oxford but apparently Pfizer is only contraindicated for anaphylaxis. Hope your dh gets sorted after a chat to the medical staff
nadya is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 21, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJoBell
VIP Dibber

JoJoBell's Reviews
Originally Posted by jojo_3596 View Post
If he had an reaction to penicillin requiring hospitalisation, then itís likely he would be offered the Oxford vaccine rather than the Pfizer- but if his reaction was only mild and didnít need treating with medications, he would probably be ok with the Pfizer. Iíve given to Pfizer vaccination to many patients with penicillin allergies. It would be worth discussing this with his gp though once he becomes eligible for the vaccine to ascertain what kind of allergic reaction he had, if that canít be ascertained heíll likely be advised to have the Oxford vaccine.
Originally Posted by kitjos View Post
I heard a listener call up Radio 2 a couple of weeks back as they had a Q&A with a Doctor/immune spec and you could call in with concerns. A chap phoned up and said he has a Penciliin allergy and can he have the vaccine, the Dr said to inform the nurse at the time of vaccine as they can discuss further, but he was ok to have the vaccine unless his allergy was as severe as anaphylactic shock. So, i guess it would depend on the risk to him, if he had anaphylactic episode in the past etc.

Def disc with medic at the time. Good luck x
Thank you both

All I know is that he was only a few weeks old so they maybe took him into hospital as a precaution. As I say I dont think it was an anaphylactic reaction but I guess we should err on the side of caution

I wonder if the vaccination centre are likely to have both types of vaccine there on the day ?

It would be a shame to get there then have to rebook an appointment

06 FAIRFIELD INN, ASMo 07 POP 08 POP, AKL, HRH, BWV
09 Easter SSR, NAPLES, OKW 09 Christmas
BCV, AKL
10 AKL, Country Inn, BCV 11 Disneyland CA, Las Vegas, San Diego
Christmas 11 Las Vegas 12 SSR 13 Emerald Island 14 AKL, Fairfield Inn,RPR, VWL 15 Emerald Island, Vero Beach April 16 DLP Nov 16 POFQ, AKL April 17 BWV Nov 17 AKL, BLT, Vero Beach 18 DLP 18 Savannah, Daytona Beach 19 AKL BWV 21 Rosen inn@Point, RPR. AMI Island
JoJoBell is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 21, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
jojo_3596
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by JoJoBell View Post
Thank you both

All I know is that he was only a few weeks old so they maybe took him into hospital as a precaution. As I say I dont think it was an anaphylactic reaction but I guess we should err on the side of caution

I wonder if the vaccination centre are likely to have both types of vaccine there on the day ?

It would be a shame to get there then have to rebook an appointment
I suspect it would be unlikely they would have both, but you should know in advance of attending the appointment which vaccine will be offered.
Old 11 Feb 21, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridasun
Imagineer

My mum is allergic to several antibiotics and even aspirin. She is also on blood thinners. She had the Oxford vaccine. No side effects.
Floridasun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 21, 02:05 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
VIP Dibber

Orlando 2004's Reviews
My mum had an allergic reaction to penicillin as a child and had the Pfizer. She did discuss it when the appointment was booked and was told it would be discussed on the day. I'm not sure our local hospital has both.
I also had a rash when I had penicillin as a teenager and haven't taken it again since but presume I will probably be given the Pfizer when it is my turn.

Edited at 02:07 PM.
Orlando 2004 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Feb 21, 02:11 PM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

Mobile

My mum is also allergic to penicillin and had the Pfizer last week with no issues - glad to say she didnít really have any side effects from the Covid jab at all .
Old 11 Feb 21, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Imagineer

I hadnít heard this (other than the risks for people whoíve had an anaphylactic reaction to something) so itís handy to know that Iíd need to let them know about my penicillin allergy when I go for my vaccination (again, probably ages away as Iím in the under-50 group). I assume theyíll just ask about any allergies as a matter of course anyway.