Notices

Old 25 Feb 21, 03:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Well would you believe it!

DH (80) has just received a letter from NHS saying he should be shielding, without giving him a specific reason. It also says he should shield even if the has had both covid jabs. To say he is not very happy is an understatement. It is approximately 12 months into the pandemic.

Does this mean that he will need to shield for the rest of his life? (just thinking that Covid is here to stay, judging by what I have heard, and we will all need a jab once a year like the flu.)

So confused now.
Jan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post

Shielding is not compulsory. Its his choice (I know what Id do at his age!)
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by dotb View Post
Shielding is not compulsory. Its his choice (I know what Id do at his age!)
But potentially cause chaos for the NHS
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Icey
Getting Excited

Mobile

Shielding is due to end at the end of March. Seems daft putting all these letter out for the sake of a few weeks.
Icey is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

It seems that lots of people are now getting letters to shield that have not had to previously. I think the letter says to shield until 31st March, it will be reviewed again after that.
Old 25 Feb 21, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Jan. Only the 2 of you can make a decision regarding this but I know what I would be doing

Firstly I would put a call in to the GP Surgery asking for a telephone appointment to ask for the rationale/reason behind the recommendation

Then if there was no 'new 'evidence as to the decision I would be shredding the letter.

Life is for living and lets be honest we have turned the 'recovery' corner nicely.

To tell people to shield some 11 Months down the road is complete insanity - in my view.

Best of luck in your decision making.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

'Morrow and Morrow. For the people dot com'

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Jan View Post
DH (80) has just received a letter from NHS saying he should be shielding, without giving him a specific reason. It also says he should shield even if the has had both covid jabs. To say he is not very happy is an understatement. It is approximately 12 months into the pandemic.

Does this mean that he will need to shield for the rest of his life? (just thinking that Covid is here to stay, judging by what I have heard, and we will all need a jab once a year like the flu.)

So confused now.
Sorry to hear this about your Hubbie, bit late in the day for it to get the letter

My OHs work colleague has just received a letter in the new wave of people recommended to shield, they went through it all with him & he wants to still work in the factory, which hes been doing all this time anyway
He is mid 40s high BMI diabetic & sleep apnea, so obviously knows why he has the letter, hes had his first jab too

Like others have said its only guidance & I know what Id be doing
Take care 😍
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 03:37 PM  
Link to this Post
vhm672
Imagineer

vhm672's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Frustrating that they have just caught up with this but leaving aside the timing of the letter it is the same as all others who have been under shielding rules for a year.

No reason has ever been given for why you are deemed CEV and the recommendation has been to continue to shield until 31 March at the earliest despite vaccination.
vhm672 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 21, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
chids
Apprentice Imagineer

I've received the letter this week too. I'm 37, high BMI and previously had gestational diabetes during two pregnancies, which is why i seem to have triggered the letter this time around.

I've had my first vaccination due to the work that i do, and i've spoken to my HR department at work who have said that it will be against the guidelines, but that they will not remove me from the premises if i choose to go in.

It's seems strange to me to shield when i've managed perfectly fine to this point and not had any protection from a vaccine to suddenly turn around to my employer and say "sorry i've got to shield now"
Old 25 Feb 21, 04:26 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
But potentially cause chaos for the NHS
I seriously doubt that. A vaccinated 80 year old.
Anyhow my opinion stands if I was that person, nearly 12 months in not previously told to shield, whether Id had a vaccination already or not I would not be shielding.

Actually even at my age a new shielding notification out of the blue my reaction would be the same. No way.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List